1. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke Contest Administrator Supporter

Contest Winner! davidm wins the June 2018 Monthly Short Story Contest!

Discussion in 'Monthly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Zerotonin, Jul 2, 2018.

Well done to @davidm for winning the vote with Getting Up In Years.

In second place is The Beacons of Eiree by @GB reader and in third place was A Person of Faith by @Mocheo Timo .

2. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Supporter

Congratulations, @davidm . I voted for your story (twice, the second time in the sudden death). I liked the depiction of the importance of having life experience rather than just arriving in your prime one day. The SF angle only came at the end and was a pleasant surprise. It was well written and had an interesting twist. Congratulations!

davidm likes this.
  3. davidm

davidm Senior Member

Thanks! I'm pleased to have won, but it would be nice to see more people voting. I still have an outstanding question about whether we can make the contest short stories viewable by members only, as other work here is. A few years ago that option was offered, but I don't know if it exists any longer. In any case, as things currently stand, if anyone posts a contest story here, and later decides to try to sell it to a magazine, it will be rejected, because the story can be found on search engines and hence is considered "already published." As to the story itself, I've revised it, and made it better, IMO. It's also shorter now, which means the current version is too short to have qualified for this contest, which sets 1,200 words as a minimum. If anyone would like to see the shorter, revised version, I'd be happy to post it for feedback. Thanks again!

Magus likes this.
  4. GB reader

GB reader Senior Member

Well done @davidm

I am also sad that we don't get more voters.

I thought that the prompt was difficult, I had problems thinking of something that could give any twist. Yours had it.

I voted on A person of faith that had so many details it could be the start of a much longer story.

davidm, Magus and Mocheo Timo like this.
  5. Mocheo Timo

Mocheo Timo Senior Member

Congrats @davidm, you got my vote in the 2nd round. You did have a very original take on the prompt and I enjoyed reading your story.

I voted for A New Home, which was the story that hooked me the most. It explored the first prompt in a very entertaining way.

I also hope we could have more voters next time. Specially for contests with less entries.

davidm likes this.