Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

Bye, George W Bush!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Nov 5, 2008.

While large corners of the world are busy celebrating Obama's presidential victory there will be some people feeling slightly deflated to see George Bush step down as US president.

Over the past eight years Bush has provided us with endless amusement as a result of his faux pas or ‘Bushisms' as they've been dubbed. Here are twenty of our favourites.

[​IMG]

20. "Those who enter the country illegally violate the law." - Nov. 28, 2005

19. "We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans." - Sept. 6, 2000

18. "If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." - Dec. 19, 2000

17. "Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do it, that's trustworthiness." - Aug. 30, 2000

16. "I think we agree, the past is over." - May 10, 2000

15. "I understand small business growth. I was one." - Feb. 19, 2000

14. "This foreign policy stuff is a little frustrating." - April 23, 2002

13. "I want everybody to hear loud and clear that I'm going to be the president of everybody." - Jan. 18, 2001

12. "One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures." - Jan. 3, 2000

11. "I was proud the other day when both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or we will." - Oct. 5, 2002

10. "I just want you to know that when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace." - June 18, 2002

9. "I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein." - May 25, 2004

8. "I firmly believe the death tax is good for people from all walks of life all throughout our society." - Aug. 13, 2002

7. "There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again." - Sept. 17, 2002

6. "The truth of that matter is, if you listen carefully, Saddam would still be in power if he were the president of the United States, and the world would be a lot better off." - Oct. 8, 2004

5. "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." - Sept. 29, 2000

4. "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - Aug. 5, 2004

3. "Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" - Jan. 11, 2000

2. "I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." - Jan. 27, 2000

1. "They misunderestimated me." - Nov. 6, 2000

You can take a look at a comprehensive list of ‘Bushisms' from over the past eight years on the Political Humour website.

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

lol XD. I love these things. Bush is not the best when it comes to choosing his words XD. I love #4.

I love his constant references to "Our enemies are al around us and we will not blink *blinks*." Those crack me up.

3. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

God, I hate that man so much.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

*cries*

5. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I honestly think he’s autistic.

No offence to the autistic.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I think America will breathe a sigh of relief at having someone at the helm who can actually speak eloquently to the masses. I think many of us, as we watched George make his many speeches, watched them the same way people watch car races.

No one goes to the race to see the cars go round and round. They go hoping for a crash. :redface:

7. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Looks like Letterman and a few comedians might be out of a job now.

8. JGraham

JGraham New Member

That is one thing bush did well, provide many jobs for our comedians and writers alike. Now they will all have to change their shows, it is a sad day for comedy central :(

I love the bushisms though, number one is my all time favorite. I am certainly glad to see that we will have a new leader, hopefully one that can speak english a bit better.

9. Rem Nightfall

Rem Nightfall Banned

'Ello, a great mild amusement thread of Bush's saying, fantastical. Though everyone miss quotes this one saying. At the end there is no you.
    Its the "the fool me can't get fooled again"

10. Emerald

Emerald New Member

A lot of the so-called Bushisms I've heard have been around since well before Bush...

11. Foxee

Foxee Contributor Contributor

Don't worry. Obama puts his foot in his mouth enough to provide lots of entertainment. In the spirit of the Fairness Doctrine I'll put in a little equal time for Obama here. ;)

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died -- an entire town destroyed." --on a Kansas tornado that killed 12 people.

In Oregon, he redrew the map of the United States: “Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go.”

Earlier this month in Cape Girardeau, Mo., Obama showed off his knowledge of the war in Afghanistan by homing in on a lack of translators: “We only have a certain number of them, and if they are all in Iraq, then it’s harder for us to use them in Afghanistan.” The real reason it’s “harder for us to use them” in Afghanistan: Iraqis speak Arabic or Kurdish. The Afghanis speak Pashto, Farsi, or other non-Arabic languages.

And one of my personal favorites:

"On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong."

12. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

lol. Sweet. in four years we can celebrate Obamaism XD. PSS: I think the Bushism are funnier though. YOu kind of have to know the situation for some of the Obamaism, but the Bushism are so ridiculous just at face value XD.

PS: I'd also like to point out that the world is a sphere, and has no corners. I never understood that phrase... it must be from when everyone thought the world was flat

13. Rem Nightfall

Rem Nightfall Banned

He has some abilities to see spirits. We need a president who can talk to the dead. I expect his next speech to talk about how he an Abraham Lincoln spoke in the office.

14. Eoz Eanj

Sorry

but there's no way Obama could possibly be more inarticulate and embaressing than George W Bush

15. Eoz Eanj

Yeah

but because people cease to exist once they've died.

16. Raven

Raven Banned

Well if he keeps claiming to see dead people then maybe he'll be removed from office as a complete nutter. Sounds like a plan. ;)

17. Eoz Eanj

coroners see dead people every day and they're alright

pretty sure the leader of the most 'powerful' country in the world will be ok too

18. Raven

Raven Banned

Well Thats a shame.

19. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Hitler was a spellbinding orator.

20. Speedy

<rolls eyes>

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, Salty is correct in this, but....

... there is a huge difference between the near supernatural control that Hitler had over the masses and simply asking for someone who can construct a grammatically correct sentence.

22. NaCl

As much as I dislike Obama, it is only fair to call it like it is. Bush was a terrible president.

1) Iraq - Any idiot would have made the same choices after 9/11. And the people of this country, especially our liberal New Yorkers, screamed out for vengeance. Bush complied and then took it too far. I was against the invasion of Iraq from the beginning. I fought in another civil war, Vietnam, and I knew from day one that we would end up in another "war of attrition", killing and maiming thousands of our own soldiers as well as Iraq citizens.

2) Bush's second big mistake was the mishandling of the Katrina hurricane catastrophe. His administration horribly dropped the ball and got labeled as rascist because so many black Americans were effected.

3) Bush failed to notice or attempt to counter the lending abuses encouraged by Barney Frank and Harry Reed through their influence on Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac. This Democrat attempt to bestow home ownership on under qualified home buyers led directly to the collapse in house prices.

4) Bush allowed the Democrat controlled Congress to spend money at record levels while insisting on tax cuts...a third grade math student understands what "negative" numbers mean.

5) Bush allowed oil speculators to drive up the cost of crude oil, jeopardizing the entire economy with inflation...food cost more to produce, goods cost more to ship, energy costs more to produce. He did nothing.

6) Bush was the LEAST inspiring speaker since Jimmie Carter. His verbal stumbling embarrassed our nation as well as failing to build confidence in people.

7) Bush utterly failed to deal with the illegals coming across our borders.

Do these things make Bush an evil man, deserving of all the hatred directed at him. No. They make him an incompetent president. I'm glad to see him go. Unfortunately, he is being replaced by an even less qualified person. When will Americans learn?

23. Speedy

Quote:
    Wrey, i do know this!

Just bringing up hitler with this is just ...

24. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I know a guy who was part of the FEMA task force that went to relieve the disaster. According to him, FEMA had a plan in place and needed 96 hours to execute it. When Katrina came they were ready to go evacuate people and put up safe guards to minimize damage. They called the mayor of New Orleans to execute the plan, but he kept putting it off until there were only 72 hours left at which point, FEMA's plan was hosed and they got trapped picking up the pieces.

Nothing to do with Bush.

I don't disagree. He's not a good speaker. I will say I saw him a few years back when he went to Fort Bragg and I was surprised to find he speaks much better in person than in those press conferences he has. He didn't stutter once. Unfortunately I had steel toe shoes and they set off the metal detectors and all the security guys were glaring at me XD.

He tried. Congress stopped him.

I don't think he was completely incompetent (we've certainly had worse *cough* Ulysses S Grant *cough*). He's certainly below average though. I wouldn't say Obama is going to be bad. He hasn't started yet, though his qualifications certainly are poor. I'll wait till his term starts and he's doing things to decide the good/bad.

25. NaCl

I have one overriding question about US presidential politics. Why is it that we perpetually have such awful choices? Obama/McCain, Bush/Kerry, Bush/Gore, Clinton/Dole, Clinton/Bush, Bush/Dukakis....there's not a statesman among them. Are they really the best and brightest in our country?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.