Day or night writer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OurJud, Sep 3, 2016.

1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

But why? What's the logic behind this?

2. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

Logic ?

Not sure, but it works for me.

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Oh, sorry. It just seemed with the reference and the way it was worded, like there was some kind of reasoning behind it. Like it came from a tutorial or something.

4. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I do my best writing (I think) in the early afternoon, but I've been thinking about what I'll write, and how I'll approach it, all morning.

I read somewhere that Dan Brown does his best writing at about 4:00 a.m., which actually makes sense in a way, because a lot of things that seem preposterous in the full light of day somehow seem reasonable at four in the morning.

5. PGWhyte

PGWhyte Member

I work nights and luckily most of those nights involve sitting around. So i take my ipad and create.

On days off when the kids are at school and the wife is working, I try to sit at my laptop and edit. Sometimes new ideas pop up too. Plus i spend time on my website and try to create a social media presence.

My husky Meeka provides me with occasion cuddles.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  6. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

I've tried all different times. Late at night, early in the morning, weekends, week days. No time is better than the other. I prefer during the day, simply because I don't like getting up too early (i.e 5.00am) and these days i'm too drained to write late at night - actually, scrap that - i'm too drained to consider writing late at night, if I actually started I would go through till the early hours. Fortunately for moi, my circumstances have recently changed and I can now write during the day - from school drop off until school pick-up - and its flippin great. Doesn't make the writing part any easier though. And I also get sore legs, numb bum, aching back etc. I combat that by using the laptop and writing from different places around the house each day, though I find if I relax in the recliner with my laptop I tend to fall asleep :oops:

PGWhyte likes this.
  7. Wolmas

Wolmas New Member

I'll let someone else pick up that tab.

8. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I used to do this... before I was married. Not that I'm complaining!

9. Sack-a-Doo!

Okay, this isn't going to sound like logic, but...

After dark—and especially in the wee hours—the world around you is less busy. Fewer people are awake, most aren't toiling away at their jobs, and there's far less stress out there. And I don't know about anyone else, but I can feel that.

Yeah, yeah, it makes me sound all flaky, but it's true. And I'd quote Shakespeare where he said that stuff about 'dreamed of in your philosophy,' but I'd have to look it up. ;)

OurJud likes this.
  10. Sack-a-Doo!

I guess Dan Brown would know. :)

SethLoki likes this.
  11. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

I guess I could have been a little clearer about the day/night writing thing in my initial post. Forgot to mention that sleeping between writing and editing is an essential part of the process to this gig.

When night time settles in, (as Sack-a-Doo stated) your world is likely to be more quiet. Makes for ease of concentration, so you can let the ideas flow out of you. And once my writing stops making sense in a grammatical and literary way, either due to being exhausted or slightly inebriated or both, I get up and find slumber.

In the morning, everything has "reset", and the editing begins vis à vis the ideas (and sometimes the non-sense) I find on the paper or screen in the light of that new day.