1. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

(solved) Anyone familiar with Rachmaninoff? Need a Rach piece with a specific vibe

Discussion in 'Research' started by Shenanigator, Apr 16, 2019.

Anyone familiar with Rachmaninoff's repertoire? For story purposes, I need the title of a Rachmaninoff piece that has a similar feel to Chopin's Nocturne in C Sharp Minor.

My MC, Alexei, will be playing it while someone's dying. I was going to use the Chopin piece, but Rachmaninoff fits his backstory and plot line better.

By posting this, I'm aware that someone will be tempted to reply with something along the lines of "The exact piece doesn't matter", "Avoid mentioning specific pieces, it will take the reader out of the story", yadda yadda yadda. Please don't. I'm not looking for advice on how to write Alexei's story. I simply need the title of a piece that fits the scene. Making up the name of a piece or composer wouldn't fit the needs of what I'm doing with this story, either. Thank you for understanding.

I thought about posting this in my go-to piano forum, but thought I'd try here first to reduce the chance of getting the name of a piece that's too obscure.

For reference, here's Chopin Nocturne in C Sharp Minor, which has the mood I'm looking for, but preferably with Rachmaninoff:

2. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

It's the same key, so it might fit well. You might even be able to juxtapose the idea of playing a piece titled prelude during the conclusion of a life, or use it as prelude to what ever is next in existence.

jannert and Shenanigator like this.
  3. Shenanigator

Thanks! That's a good idea. Alexei would definitely think about that juxtaposition.

I should probably add that the character has a peaceful death. It's an "Alexei plays her off to dreamland" sort of scene, so I'm hoping for something that has a dreamy quality, but in my limited knowledge of Rachmaninoff it's hard to find a piece that's not full of doom and gloom. Or, perhaps that's just Rachmaninoff's thing. I'm much more well-versed in the work of other composers.

4. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Maybe this one then. It's another prelude piece, but in F# minor, considered one of his more romantic works.

Shenanigator likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I really liked this for the purpose Shenanigator wanted it used for. The ending, with the slow held bits is very appropriate for somebody's death, I reckon.

Shenanigator likes this.
  6. Shenanigator

Oh, that's perfect! Thank you so much!

ETA: I wanted her to have a "gentle" dreamy passing that affects Alexei emotionally, so what I'll probably do is have Alexei play the more romantic one during the death, and then the gloomier one to express his feelings about the death.

Thanks, both of you!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    NobodySpecial likes this.
  7. Shenanigator

Followup: I've finished the scene and used Rachmaninov Prelude Op. 23 No. 1 in F-Sharp Minor. Thanks again for your help!

NobodySpecial and Alan Aspie like this.