1. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

'The first step to introducing a world' plot idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Kata_Misashi, Jul 30, 2017.

So while my brain is buzzing and active I'm going to write this down now to hopefully get feedback on my idea. Please note this is in a 'super' rough draft phase so... bare with me...

Okay, to start off my world has various humanoid species that in habit the planet. Some fly, some swim, each having there own culture, language, currency, etc.

Secondly the genre. Was going for a 'slice of life' with minor scenes of action involved. However her role gives her perspective on the various stories and plots to happen later on down the road. But because it does not involve her directly, she simply does her job and moves on (which I will explain).

Third, the setting is post modern. Light future tech in some places (vehicles, billboards, etc) and heavy tech in others (seen in companies, factories, fancy places, etc).

Now that I got that out of the way; the 'rough' plot...

~~~​

So the MC of the story wakes up to alarm of her clock and the sound of their significant doing various work. After normal morning antics (breakfast, brushing teeth, etc.) they head off to work. The following scenes reveal not only the city she lives in but a glimpse of how different and similar her life is to our every day life. After those scenes, she heads to work - which is revealed to be a journalist.

Like most journalist, she takes what she can get; causal incidents around the city and so on. That gets cut short however as her boss pulls her aside to talk to her.

After some dialogue, he reveals that her name was drawn for the story of a life time. And expense paid trip to circle the globe and study the various species and culture for a spot in... well... 'There version of National Geographic'

~~~
    Okay. Post key notes:

*Everything leading up to the point of her getting the chance to circle the globe is still a heavy rough draft

*I use 'her' loosely. I don't really have a gender or even a name for them yet.

Okay but with that being said (and written) I just going to leave this here to hear what people have to say/think/want to change; you get the idea.

Thank you for reading~:love:

2. TheNineMagi

TheNineMagi take a moment to vote

what immediately popped in my mind was a humorous travel guide book set in some different world.

google
    humorous adventures in travel

(CNN) — We expect a lot from our travel writers:
    Cultural insight. Entertaining anecdotes. A little bit of derring-do. But, mostly, we want them to make us laugh.
    As every traveler knows, a good sense of humor is essential when facing the mysteries and miseries of a foreign culture.
    That's what makes writers who can deliver fascinating stories from around the world while making us snort our cardamom chai through our noses such treasured commodities.

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/funny-travel-books/index.html

3. Kata_Misashi

Kata_Misashi Active Member

Thank you for your reply~

And yes, that is exactly it. Basically not only giving readers insight on the world I created but also giving a fun, light-hearted tale on the MC's take on them. And starting off like that, I feel could lead to various other stories that happen within the regions they travel to.

But that's just my take on it.

TheNineMagi likes this.
  4. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

I would read something like that. I believe you could tie "Gulliver's Travels" with "Rick Steve's Europe", and then make a moral or ideology point at each visit.

TheNineMagi and Kata_Misashi like this.