Dealing with ideas

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Daniel, Jul 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Read. Read a lot. Read different authors, styles, and genres.

It's not enough to learn the mechanics of writing. You have to see how they are employed in storytelling.

So read more, read daily, and read widely.

2. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Sounds like you more than halfway there. Most start without the amount of the research you have already done and get into trouble about half way through, with plot holes and and consistency issues. So by having the Background info there for your reference you are on the right track. If you feel more comfortable writing it down in a clinical fashion first, go ahead. Its helps pacing and structure of the novel. Once you have done that it will be time to hit it with the writing brush and put the flowery words in. In the mean time read some of the genre that compliments the novel (and some that don't...never read too much) and see how its done. Don't copy but deconstruct how it was written and then go for it. Any grammar or writing issues I have I ask here, as its way more beneficial than a self help book. DOnt be put off by stuff you see most of the authors went through exactly the same has you, they just persevered. :D

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'm afraid no sane writer - pro or not - would write someone else's book for them for free. So unless you're rich or willing to save up very fast for a ghostwriter, perhaps look to other forms of story-telling? What about a graphic novel? Or create podcasts that are basically chapter after chapter of your book, but everything is told verbally, like a real-life story-teller :)

I'm not sure how to help you. Or perhaps could you not write it yourself? Grammar is important but it doesn't have to stop you from writing. I have 2 dyslexic friends both attempting to write their own novels. And one of them, her grammar/spelling is really awful, but I truly admire her for her courage and persistence. Writing is hard enough as it is without having an extra obstacle in your way - but it is doable.

The key question is: do you love writing?

4. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Write it down because you have to. Don't worry about grammar or if it sucks. Write it down just because you have to. I think you gotta break the ice and get a feel for the writing process. It doesn't have to be great on the first try. The most important step for you is to start writing it down.

5. you should keep a journal of little ideas and tidbits to help you organize these thoughts. Let them percolate in your head until the boiling point and then write without looking back.

6. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    Sadly, ideas are abundent; everyone has them. I would suggest patience. Stop planning books you can't write for awhile and focus on mechanics. Take a community college class on grammar, or look it up on the internet. Read books, but not for the content. Read them with an eye for the details, dissect sentences, paragraphs, scenes, and whole chapters. When you feel like you know the basics, practice writing short scenes. Don't worry that the plotting or characters are silly, focus on making yourself clear.

If you run into a problem, ask for help, here I suppose.

7. FatCatInaSuit

FatCatInaSuit New Member

I myself (One of the lucky ones) have never suffered from writer's block, rather the ideas just won't stop.

An example from a few years ago I've long since given up was ' Vampires + Robots + Dinosaurs' Don't ask me how it got to that. It started as a slightly altered present time with the edition of mythological creatures we've all seen it. Then it went into a Future-scape where Robots and genetic engineering was possible.

Any tips on how to slow down or how to set something in stone?

8. idle

idle Active Member

I don't think there's a problem with having too many ideas as such. It only becomes a problem if you feel it has a bad influence on other aspects of your writing. For example, maybe the resultings stories are overly complicated, maybe it stops you from editing them properly because you run off to another idea? If it is so, I think you should address the problem itself, not the flow of ideas.

9. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

write down lists of all the little notions you come up with. try developing your ideas beyond just ideas. if it flows easily, then keep it, but if it feels like you're forcing it, cut it out. If you have a character or situation or something that you really like, but it doesn't quite fit in with what you're trying to do, shelve it and repurpose it in something else.
    When I was in highschool, I came up with a bunch of x-men-type superheroes, and most have been retooled to fit in with other projects.

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The only possible downside of "too many ideas" is that you can become easily distracted, so that you don't focus on any one idea. But, once aware of it, you should be able to deal with it.

11. mbear

mbear Member

Only if it complete distracts you from finishing something. Do as others suggested by writing them down and shelving them when necessary.

12. afrodite7

afrodite7 New Member

only if they're all in one novel,yes.i learned my lesson from that.here's what you do:take the excess ideas,write out separate story ideas,settings and things and other important stuff such as characters and sit them aside for later usage.i have typed so much information that it's ridiculous.besides,it helps you gain focus to separate the stuff

13. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

No, as Tolkein has attested to. The problem may come that all those different concepts will interfere with each other. You have to muddle their significance so that they won't become a distraction to the story, as others have said.

14. radnommandess

radnommandess New Member

I have a similar problem. The advice given here is very helpful. In truth I already knew all of it. I just needed to hear/read it to make it real. cheers fatcat for asking and cheers everyone for replying.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can only ditto all the good advice offered above...

keep on thinkin'!

16. radnommandess

radnommandess New Member

Just write down your ideas as verbal diarrrhea. Dont even think about grammar, punctuation or spelling. Just get as much down as you can. Then go back to it piece by piece. Fix as much of the spelling, grammar, punctuation as you can. There are good resources on this site (that i have found immensely helpful). Once you have done this to the best of your ability. Put a section of it up for critique here or in another forum. Well thats what I am attempting to do anyway.

17. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I'm going to offer a different perspective - although I agree that you should read more, and study grammar. But it sounds like all your planning might be procrastination - putting off the actual writing or getting frustrated because of your lack of technical skills. I would suggest writing short vignettes, to practice the technical aspects. Gradually write longer pieces, adding more details, more depth to the basic story.

Personally, I don't plan, and I don't write rough first drafts. I edit as I go - and I would suggest trying that as you're learning the technical skills. To me, there would nothing more disheartening than to have to go through a story and try to fix all the mistakes, particularly when I'd repeated them over and over. Go ahead and check it paragraph by paragraph, so when you find the errors you'll be more aware of them as you move forward.

Work on the basics. Practice your grammar. Read. Eventually you will also learn whether or not you prefer planning ahead or 'pantsing', whether you prefer writing several drafts or editing/revising as you go - ie, which method or derivative works best for you.

18. mg357

mg357 Active Member

It is possible to have too many ideas the trick is to think about each idea and if it possible to write a story or book from the idea then use it if it is not possible than don't use it.

19. Kat Hawthorne

Kat Hawthorne New Member

Editors are great inventions. Seriously, just write. Don't worry about your mechanics until you are otherwise happy with your work, and then hire a really great copy-editor.

The problem is, as with any of the "Arts" writing comes easy to some, but unfortunately it is one of those skills that, while it can be improved, it cannot be made out of nothing. What you should do is figure out your ultimate goals and make some decisions. Is it your dream to publish a novel one day? Do you want to pen a book of short stories to share with your kids? What, exactly, do you want to do with your ideas? That should help you with your solution.

There are those of us who have, indeed, been hired as "ghostwriters" for much less than tens of thousands. However, if you are considering a novel-length project and are planning to find someone to do all the work for you, as with any other job, the person who is doing the writing deserves compensation for their efforts. For some of us, writing is our livelihood and it is very time-consuming. If you decide to hire a ghostwriter, take your time and find one whose style fits your ideas. Oh man, I have waaay too much to say about ghostwriting plusses and minuses. It may not even be an option for you, so I'll quit talking about it right now.

It is my suggestion that you just write for the joy of the craft, holding no expectations for the end result beyond your own happiness. That way you will get your story told, and if you decide later to take it further, you can consider your other options. The most important thing, though, is getting your thoughts down on paper in one way or another, and then see where it takes you.

Good luck with it regardless of what you decide.

20. mammamaia

it's possible to develop any idea into a successful story/novel, if one is a good enough writer... so it really comes down only to the level of one's writing skills...

21. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický New Member

And thats the way how the reader becomes bored. I'm reading to discover something new and exciting, including all the stuff that has to happen meanwhile. But when it is just about showing up actors in smoothly determined enviroment, it is a book just for the chicks.

22. mammamaia

...please see what i wrote above... money spent on editing by a new and unknown writer has little to no chance of being recouped, so why would you advise doing it?...

...how much less have you charged/been paid for ghostwriting a book?...

...for the record, i do both a wide range of editing [from simply catching typos and minor grammar goofs, to full revisions] and ghostwriting for my clients... and i only charge less than the going rates because i don't have to do it for a living and feel even new writers of limited means should be able to avail themselves of professional help... but i'd never take on ghostwriting a book for less than a low 5-figure fee... and i allow monthly payments, instead of the standard 1/2 to start and 1/2 when done, to ease the burden on the client... other professionals, who do it for a living, can't afford to do such time-consuming work on that basis...

...and i don't accept any client without being up front about the fees being money down the drain, so if they don't see it as a learning experience, or can't afford to take the loss, i won't take them on...

23. Kat Hawthorne

Kat Hawthorne New Member

No need to be aggressive, Mamma. No one asked for your personal income information, and there is no need to get all defensive when discussing the services you offer. Congratulations on your awesomeness, but we are not here to compete with one another.

My earnings are really not something I wish to discuss in a public forum, nor are they the business of anyone other than myself, or my clients, simple as that. End of topic.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and everyone else interested in bettering their craft, but perhaps before you brag about your amazing skills, you may want to look over your own posts and do a little editing there too. Just a suggestion.

24. idle

idle Active Member

I'm not exactly sure what you meant by that, but of course you can't expect to enjoy every book there is. There are various kinds of readers. Not unsurprisingly, the same can be said about ideas - you'll enjoy some of them, some of them you won't.

As a writer, you'll of course prefer the ones that you enjoy writing. But it doesn't mean that the rest is worthless; just less worthy for you.

25. Teodor Pravický

Teodor Pravický New Member

Well, on the left side is my name and cool avatar, so you can bet it was my opinion ;)

Still, topic is about the ideas and if you can put "vs" and other side something else, it would be just casual stuff, like conversations, trouble with the broken car or maybe an empty milk that every member of the family put back into refrigerator until someone responsible find out? Well, those are maybe ideas too