1. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

The third wheel?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Yume No Okami, Jun 9, 2016.

I'm having trouble figuring out the dynamics between characters in a game in plotting out- I don't know how to keep a character from becoming the third wheel when his friends hook up.

Here's an overview:

-PC likes Girl. Girl likes PC.
    -Both PC and Girl consider Boy their best friend.
    -Boy cares about both of them to the point of family.
    -Boy likes PC's sister. PC is cool with this.
    -Boy wants PC and Girl to get together. They do.
    -PC and Girl still (independently) consider Boy their best friend.
    -Boy becomes third wheel?
    -Boy falls into depression, PC and Girl show how much they care by comforting Boy. (Unless PC doesn't have enough friendship points)
    -The entire thing has threesome subtext.

I'm kinda stuck on how to keep the trio close knit without making it creepy how they keep inviting Boy to otherwise romantic things or how Boy keeps tagging along. I've never been in a relationship I'm afraid, and I'm not in the right state to have one now, so I'm rather lost.

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

What kinds of things do the three of them do before the two get together? How is their friendship demonstrated? Keep having them do those things afterwards. The couple don't have to always be doing romantic things together - if they all used to go out for milkshakes together, just because two of them are dating now doesn't make it an actual date.

3. Samuel Lighton

Samuel Lighton Senior Member

Well, considering the PC is the most important one, I'd say tone down the friendship between either the Girl and Boy or the PC and Boy. I mean going on a double date with your best friend and your sister seems awkward as hell to just flow into. But, a friend of your girlfriend, maybe not too long of a shot.

Wait, is the threesome subtext intentional or not?

4. Yume No Okami

Yume No Okami Member

Oh, haha I guess that's important. Boy and Girl were each other's only friend when they were little, but they were only pen pals in a world before cameras or tech. PC saved both their lives. Boy helped Girl to enjoy life more. PC and Girl treated Boy with respect when his species is associated with criminals. And they generally bond over little things over time.

EDIT: Whoops skipped past that last part XD

I guess I never put more effort into how they hang out... Oh, I figured out why it's so weird for me to separate the three- the Boy has no other close friends that he could hang out with...

Hrm, that'd be hard, since Boy meets PC (in person) before Girl, and to change that messes with the plot. And I think it'd be a bit harder to tone down their friendship since the PC is the viewpoint character... The subtext wasn't gonna be intentional, but then I realized what it looked like and decided to run with it. (Considering it's modeled off JRPGs, the audience would probably be ship happy) Now any groups in the story larger than one person get ship teased. XP

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  5. Buttered Toast

Buttered Toast Active Member

Can you continue the story with the main character without them for a chapter or two?
    They can go off and do their own thing and then come back? Like Ron and Hermione when they got together in Harry Potter.