1. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

Decisions decisions

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Justin Rocket 2, Jun 27, 2016.

Scene 2 of my novel requires introducing three new characters. My choices are

1.) The three characters are preparing to sneak into a museum where one of them works to steal an artifact. Two of the characters (a teen and the anthropologist who works at the museum) are in conflict as the teen fears that the anthropologist is too old and the anthropologist feels that he should go because he knows the museum's layout the best. The teen and the anthropologist have a father-son relationship through adoption.

2.) The three are sneaking into the museum.

NOTE that they will get caught in scene four and in scene six or seven the anthropologist will get killed

Question: Should I use option 1 or 2 above? Please give your opinion and justification.

2. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

So I'm a little confused on what you're asking. In both cases, 3 people are sneaking into the museum, but in the first choice there's the conflict between 2 of them, and in the 2nd choice there's not that conflict?
    Or do you mean that in the first example, only the 2 in the conflict would go?

It's hard for me to know what's better without knowing more. Every conflict, situation and character dynamic should tie into other significant parts of the story and its main plot, so that things aren't arbitrary.

Is the conflict in #1 important for other reasons, or just to have an extra conflict for the sake of it?
    If that didn't happen, what other types of conflicts and tension would there be?

You've got to figure out what's best for the story as a whole, and it's hard to answer that with just the info here.

3. Justin Rocket 2

Justin Rocket 2 Contributor Contributor

The two options diverge on their level of activity.
    In the first option, the characters could be sitting down at a restaurant while they discuss how to break into the museum or they could be in a garage collecting supplies.
    In the second option, the tension is higher because they are currently sneaking into the museum, thus they run the risk of getting caught. However, the reader is intended to bond with these characters while this tension is so high.

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

1.5 - start it just before they sneak into the museum, having a disagreement about who should go. Obviously they would have discussed it before so one of them will have 'cold feet' and be trying to persuade the other again.

I think that's the best mix of tension and time to get to know the characters.