1. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Dedicating Your 1st Book--To Who?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by JessWrite, Apr 29, 2012.

I think I may be the only one, but I love book dedications. By a normal reader, they might be overlooked, but--ha--I'm not a normal reader, so I think they are interesting and super sweet.

So, that brings me to my question to you...who will/did you dedicate your first published book to?

I'm going to dedicate my first book to my Great Aunt, who was a children's librarian. We both shared the love of Children's books. Before she passed away last Oct. from cancer, I told her about wanting to be a writer, and we had a great talk about children's authors and the hundreds of them she met. It was such a great memory that I would love to commemorate. :)

2. live2write

live2write Senior Member

As much as we want to dedicate everybody, just like the academy awards or any awards show, it is hard remember everybody.

Instead of choosing a specific person I wrote: "Dedicated to my family and those who are a part of my life"

If I had any other influences I would use that too and keep it simple and general

3. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Hahaha, I was just thinking about this. For now I'm thinking of dedicating the book I'm working on to my brother, editor, and the late night crew at Denny's by name. They know what's up when I roll in at 3am and spread papers over the entire booth. I've still got bits of manuscript with maple syrup on it. Hahahaha.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

I dedicated my first published novel to my wife.

My first novel written (that is still seeking a publisher--it's run the slush pile gauntlet and on the managing editor's desk now, but has been for a while) will be dedicated to two friends who passed away, how were very outgoing and inspiring individuals who made a difference in my life.

My second novel was dedicated to my daughters.

There's explanation why my novels were dedicated to those individuals in the dedications, and I know some folks read them like you, JessWrite, but you're correct in that many skip over them. Me? I tend to read them, just as I do the acknowledgements.

5. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I would dedicate my first book to my grandfather who passed away in 2008. He was the very first of the many people i thought of when i was thinking about all the people who mean alot to me. Remembering him gives me the strength to keep going, to keep me motivated to write. I wish he was still alive to know that....

6. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I have a very hard head. I think the thing that makes me succeed is not the people who have supported me for I love them none the less. I think the people who really help me are the ones that make life miserable for me. In that vein, my dedication will read:

To the real Red Queen. This book bought me a new Lamborghini.

7. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

That's a great question. One that I still have no answer to!

8. aimeekath

aimeekath New Member

I've always been intrugued by dedications so I would defintley have one. I think it would have to be to someone who has supported me, but it would also want it to have a sly insult to those who doubted me.

9. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

For those who want to send a nasty word or two via a dedication to those who did not support them, isn't the fact that you succeeded point enough.

Do you want the readers that do read the dedication to glimpse a petty or vindictive nature? Maybe so. Maybe that's the audience targeted?

I'm not sure how many publishers will go for FU or insults in a dedication. In the end, writing is a profession, and publishers sort of expect a professional partner. Again, attitudes and what's published does vary from publisher to publisher... And is being angry and spiteful really the point of a dedication?

That's my two cents.

10. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Probably not. But aren't you sick of the fawning acceptance awards at the Oscars? The biggest contribution an actor makes to a project is his expertise and performance in the story. Granted, the actor might have a great script and the director might have indeed done him a favor by hiring him, but the guy still has to show up for work.

I was good at my 'adult job.' I worked with some great people, but also some schmucks who would have liked nothing better than to successfully sobatage my work, even get me fired.

These petty despoliers exist. My feeling is that it might be fun to call them out in public with a 'dedication.' In fact, many times they are the reasons for your success.

My Aunt Clara used to say, "Friends and lovers come and go, but a good enemy is a joy forever."

11. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I agree. I was joking and I was under the impression that Nakhti was also joking.

12. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Glad to know I'm not the only one who reads book dedications!

And, to the ones who wish to dedicate to the ones who doubted you...I've got a better idea! I read this in a writing book some time ago: Once your book is published, send a free copy of your book to all those doubting people with a thank you card, thanking them for pushing you to do better and try harder. You will still get flapping jaws, and feel like you did some good too. ;)

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i didn't... it was a novel and i saw no reason to dedicate it to anyone... now, i do tend to dedicate my non-fiction books to someone, if it seems appropriate...

14. Gonissa

Gonissa New Member

Hm....I think I'll dedicate my book, to...to....hm. It really depends on which book I publish first. If it's the one I'm writing on the nature of nerds, I'll probably just dedicate it to lonely teenagers or something. If it's my fiction book about a little girl who wants to be hardcore...hm. I don't know. Nobody ever helped me or encouraged me to write. No person, anyway. I'll probably just dedicate it to the Blizzard gaming company because Starcraft was what inspired me to string words together.

15. Kael

Kael New Member

I love reading the dedications in the books, especially when reading Anne McCaffrey's work. I always enjoyed what she said and who she picked to dedicate the books too. R.I.P Anne. :(

I haven't finished my novel yet, so I have not done the dedication. I want to and there are those I would like to dedicate the book too, so I think I'll put one in later. :)

16. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I doubt I'd dedicate my book to anybody. If I did, it might be to Jules Verne, my first inspiration to write.

17. Rayne

Rayne New Member

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves dedication. i just wrote a novel about angels and once published it'll be dedication to my sons, who no matter what are my angels... very prophetic to me

18. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I usually read them too.

Family and closest friends, in that order. If I had a partner/husband, then they might get a look-in too. ;)

19. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Assuming I DO get published, my first book (if it's the story I'm working on now) will be dedicated to my best friend, because we have shared so many stories, books and ideas together and we both adore historic fiction (with a smattering of smut).

However, acknowledgements...those will be like the academy awards. So many people have had to be subjected to me picking their brains already. I'd feel bad if they weren't given an honorable mention

20. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Dedication - probably family and husband, and all those looking for a second chance, since second chance or redemption is one of my main themes in my novel. Assuming I ever get published, of course.

Acknowledgements are a lot easier. I'd certainly have to acknowledge my ex, who has read numerous scenes and helped me flesh out my world etc.

I enjoy reading both too! :D I especially like the ones that are a little jokey, or that has a personal quote to it rather than the usual "Couldn't have done it without you" etc.

21. Walid

Walid New Member

"To my mom, who will get a brand new house with a big garden when this book becomes a best seller"