Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

Question Deleting a thread

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Bone2pick, May 5, 2019.

Why am I not allowed to delete a thread I created with zero replies?

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Why do you want to delete it it ?

Give us a good reason and we'll trash it for you - as far as I can see its a nice timelapse of an artist at work, which as you say in the thread has some application for writers, as such there is no reason for it to be deleted

If the reason is that you are upset that its been moved out of insights and inspiration to the lounge, threads aren't generally allowed to be started in that forum... as it says in the new starters guide.. that area is intended by the owner as a kind of best of the best selection of sticky quality threads, which may eventually become resources or articles.

3. Bone2pick

If that's your position, then I can't trust this site with my content anymore. At least not with you as a moderator.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I hate to say it but its not actually your content - its a youtube video by a third party.

Also its not my random interpretation its says right in the rules that we don't delete threads without good reason

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. Bone2pick

You don't delete threads because of replies, correct?

Edit: Also, I've seen numerous threads deleted on this forum.

6. big soft moose

I'm not looking for a long protracted argument here ... if you really really want the thread deleted just tell us why

I am reluctant to delete a nice bit of content for no reason

7. Bone2pick

Honestly Moose, you can do whatever you want with it. Ethically speaking, you should honor my wish to delete it. But if you don't, I won't loose sleep over it.

But if this is the way the forum is going to be moderated, then I'm not going to create anymore threads.

8. Ma'am

Ma'am Banned

The forum owner sets the controls for what members have "delete" and "edit" buttonsfor. On some sites you can delete posts and threads at will, on others you can't change a thing yourself once it's posted. But most that I've run into are set somewhere in between those two extremes.

The next layer is the policy the owner sets or at the discretion of whoever the owner designates to manage the site.

How any forum operates is usually stated in the rules or pretty obvious after you've been around for a short time. So it's fair enough, I think.

But I'm probably reading your question too literally.

ETA: Sorry, cross-posted.

9. big soft moose

We allow members to edit or delete content for the purposes of dealing with typos, adding more content, deleting duplicate threads, and very occasionally taking back an insult or angry word that they have thought better of. (we don't allow what is known as shit posting where a member posts an insult then quickly deletes it again on a frequent basis as a method of hiding insulting behaviour)

However none of that is germane here - the thread concerned is a youtube video that the OP felt (and I agree) that although about painting was of interest to writers.

The rules are clear that we do not delete or allow the deletion of content without a good reason (what is known as thread trashing when you open a thread to find it just says 'deleted' or similar)

Where content is deleted without moderator or admin approval it can be reverted by any moderator since nothing is ever truly gone unless it is deleted from the database by the owner.

Obviously if the OP chooses not to post threads over this issue then that is his choice. But I would point out that there is no ethical reason to delete a post just because the thread starter asks for it. (however we are not unreasonable - if there is a good reason we are usually happy to delete a thread that doesn't have replies, hence why I have asked several times that the OP tells me why he wants the thread deleted)

This thread is closed - if the Op would like to continue the discussion I am happy to do so by Pm

ETA: The OP gave me the requested reason and said thread has now been deleted.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Ma'am likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.