Demons

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by PurpleCandle, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Slammoth

Slammoth New Member

What are your thoughts on demons?

Now, not to offend anyone, but I don't believe in demons. Strictly fiction - or allegory at best. Just getting that out of the way, since this post transparently treats them as such.

Now then. I love them, am fascinated by them, and they are a central component in my work.

What attributes come to mind?

Obviously, anything negative! Although many people probably think of powerful 'deceivers of man', I like to think of demons as embodiments of our bad sides, and not just the ones that make them powerful and scary. Stuff like sloth. Also, I don't think demons have to be intelligent.

First words that pop into your head?

I'm a visual thinker, sorry. Umm. Darkness? Death? Emptiness? Rage?

What do you think they look like?

The archetypal winged, horned thing doesn't do it for me. I might go for an insectoid appearance to emphasise how alien and other they are. Alternatively, you can make them sort of look like us, but with feral or horrific features for scary factor? Maybe they are incorporeal, exorcist style! Generally, stuff that twists and parodies good things is a nice extra that adds to the image. Thus, the faceless, scalpel wielding nurses you see in Silent Hill are definitely more demons than zombies to me (and far more terrifying than red winged things)!

Where do they live?

Hell! Other dimensions? Inside us?

Where did they come from?

Maybe our negative emotions spawned them? Maybe they come from the dark corners of the universe? Maybe they are an ancient race turned evil?

Shameless self-bump: If people like demons, I guess you could read my stuff when/if it gets posted up somewhere. I suck at writing though.

2. D.T.Roberts

D.T.Roberts New Member

That's just my opinion.

3. R-e-n-n-a-t

R-e-n-n-a-t New Member

Angels are a variety of spinning eyeball wheels, and demons are usually of the pure horrifying variety. Seriously about the angels though, according to the original bible they're really scary; more scary than demons in some cases.

I don't believe in any of it, but by the biblical definition that's what they'd be.

4. Vince524

Vince524 New Member

What are your thoughts on demons?

I don't like them.

What attributes come to mind?

Evil, enjoys causing pain and suffering. Kills innocents. Resents innocence. Cruel, maliciouse.

First words that pop into your head?

Sister in law.

What do you think they look like?

Sister in law.

Where do they live?

At my sister in laws house.

Where did they come from?

Escaped from hell. Or set forth by hell. Or from Brooklyn.

5. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

lol!!!

6. Anonym

Anonym New Member

What are your thoughts on demons? They don't exist.

What attributes come to mind? Evil, sadism, possessions, pointy horns, legions, running animals into rivers.

First words that pop into your head? (same as above)

What do you think they look like? Either "classical" (little red guys w/ horns & tails) or like freakish-mutant lookin'.

Where do they live? Hell, or on Earth I presume.

Where did they come from? God, via Satan.

Hope it helps.

7. lyteside

lyteside New Member

Vince, that was awesome. =)