1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.

Approach to disclosing withheld information between characters.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Cave Troll, Jan 25, 2017.

Hi all.

So I have been struggling with a couple of instances of withheld information from two characters, because they may not like the truth of such facts. Both of these were unresolved in the first novel, but should be in the sequel.

The first is about telling Corlixia that she is not a natural being, and that she was in fact bio-engineered in a lab. As well as not knowing by whom, or why. The people who know are: Marckus, Graxis, Dlynvacko, and Red Wolf. Though I feel that Marckus should be the one to tell her, seeing as they have a thing of sorts between them. Just not sure how/when to have this discussion happen, or exactly how to have her feel about learning such things.

The other is between Graxis and Marckus. Graxis has some info that relates to why Marckus could not have pulled his former friend/girlfriend (she is dead) to come and fight with him. Graxis finds out after the fact the reason she declines from leaving her post and faction, due to having her family held hostage by those that put her in her position to begin with. If she had declined to fulfill the orders, that her family would be killed as a result of her disobedience. Graxis has kept this from Marckus mainly due to not wanting to hurt him further, and has been afraid of what may happen to him should he find out. But should eventually let him know the truth of the matter, besides bearing the guilt of having her commit suicide by his own weapon. Something he reluctantly did, but should ultimately know that she had little option in the matter.

Basically I am unsure on either case, as to when/how to break this to either character, to offer closure or an understanding to either of them.

How do you tell someone something that they probably don't want to hear about themselves or actions, without having them fall apart in one way or another?

Thanks. :)

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Do the four that know about it discuss it often? Are they often together with Corlixia? It would seem to be a hard secret to keep, four people knowing something the fifth person doesn't. Easiest mechanic would be for one of them to let something slip or have Corlixia overhear them discussing it. Unless of course there is a special meaning in having one of them disclose it to her. Does her finding out pivot the plot? In that case, I would think of a scene and keep it in your pocket until the story needs a jolt.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well she was kept busy with basic training and other training through out the first novel, and the others have kept it private.
    So she would not have overheard anyone speaking about it. Graxis took charge and oversaw her training, after the previous
    instructor was deemed unfit to do so. The through out the sequel she spends much more time with either Marckus or Red Wolf,
    taking orders and running around play war machine pilot. Though I kinda see what you mean about letting it slip out for her
    to hear unintentionally. Though it would have to come from Dlynvacko if that were the case, as her and Corlixia don't get along
    all that well. Regardless it will be more growth for her as a character, and may or may not affect the plot depending on how she
    takes the news and reacts to it. It is kinda like the equivalent to find a child finding out they were adopted, if I may use parallels
    to believe one thing over the reality.

Thanks @Homer Potvin, you have given me somethings to consider. :supersmile:

Homer Potvin likes this.