1. CarpCatcher

CarpCatcher New Member

1954 or nineteen-fifty-four

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by CarpCatcher, Jul 17, 2020.

A piece of dialogue quotes dates. Should I write it as spoken:

'Nineteen fifty-four.'
    or
    '1954'

2. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I would say 1954 as it is more economical, but if you have lots of numbers in you MS it may start to read like a data sheet. In which case use words. It actually does not matter which you choose as long as you are consistent.

3. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

In dialogue I'd go with "nineteen fifty-four". If it wasn't in dialogue I'd prefer "1954", but I don't think there's a rule about this. Not sure.

OurJud likes this.
  4. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

Most would likely say Fifty-four only. In dialogue, that is. In narration, the number's all fine.

5. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

I don't know if there is a rule for this but here is how I might approach it:

I would absolutely use "nineteen fifty-four" if you are doing something official (such as a kind of public declaration: "In the year of our lord nineteen fifty-four....").

I would also suggest using "nineteen fifty-four" if you are dealing with an older historical setting, where formality and quality is valued over efficiency, as using "1954" may come off as more modern, informal and popular usage. Using the combination of letters and numbers is sort of half way to text language, such as using "h8" in stead of "hate" because our obsession with efficiency (in reducing the number of buttons you press or the amount of space used on the page) over-rides everything else.

If it's poetry, I'd use nineteen fifty four as well. Given that Poetry is almost musical like singing, the rhythm of the words matters, so using nineteen fifty four gives you a better indication of the rhythm of the language than "1954" which doesn't suggest a clear rhythm in how you say the words themselves. (This could also apply to writing a screen play for basically the same reason).

As far as I can tell, I'd use "1954" in basically every other context, including writing essays about historical events.

6. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

That's not necessarily true; saying "fifty-four" by itself is way more colloquial.

7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

That's always been my own personal take on it. Spelt for dialogue, digits for narration.

8. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

The rule as I learned it, and I've read this as an adult as well, is that dates are written in numbers, not words: December 25th, 1954 (or however it's written from one country to another.) That's the way you see it in novels, and it shouldn't change just because it's in dialogue. Like most things, the spelling stays the same in or out of quotes. The only exception would be if you want to let the reader know that someone pronounced the words differently, as in "in the year nineteen-hundred and fifty-four."

9. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

You use numbers for years even in dialog. Sure, writers have the creative freedom to play with this some, but if/when you sell your story, the editor will likely change it to numbers if you decide to go the other way.

10. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

It's a tough call. It depends, I think, on how you want the cadence to be as the reader reads it. That's especially critical for recent dates: 2010 could be spoken as "twenty-ten" or as "two thousand ten," depending on who's speaking, and two whom. There's a real argument for spelling it out in those contexts.