1. maze

maze New Member

Describing Things

Discussion in 'Word games' started by maze, Apr 6, 2013.

I don't think I saw something like this here. Hopefully, I'm right. Anyway, the idea is to practice describing things in depth. Sometimes significant details merit some good description, so I figured this would be a fun way to practice.

The idea is to post an object (be it a cup, a tree, a bat, etc...) and the next person will describe it in a short paragraph. Try to personify it, give it some shape, or whatever you want. Simply give your best description of it.

Eg: Person A: Mug of Coffee
    Person B: The warm mug sat steaming quietly atop the table. It's heat seemed to radiate as the morning sun fell upon it. The deep brown liquid welcomed all who would consume it as a faint mist danced wildly above.
    (then leave your own object for the next person to describe).

I'll start with: A Snow Capped Pine Tree

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

A Snow Capped Pine tree

Last nights snow decorated the yard in blanketing silence. It hung heavy on the pine tree
    as though a cloud had collided with the Douglas fir, it's cotton caught in the needles.

A SHABBY BEACH

3. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Once the seat of many a pleasurable summers day it is now the lost and found department for the displaced. Life has all but abandoned this sandy place to the riggers of man's so called essentials.

an empty box

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

It sat on its side, opened and without purpose. A mess of colourful books and plastic toys spilled from the box, half-hidden in the dark, dank water that was still slowly seeping through, rising like a creeping disease. The cardboard had been soaked through, sagging and rotten in the darkness of the basement. Stale water rippled in the silence, forcing the box to drink, to crumble into nothing like all the rest of the ruined memories and furniture left abandoned in this old, forgotten place. A single name in thick, black marker had been scrawled onto the box, the letters hanging upside-down in rough, round handwriting. Emma. This was Emma's box.

Next: an orange folder

5. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    Found like a lonely clementine amongst in a sea of manila, the folder remained closed -- its contents too juicy to expose. It had probably been sealed with glue or metal, though one might wonder if sealing it in blood would have been any more conspicuous.

A book recently dried

6. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

A book recently dried

It lay by the fire, transformed by the heat from a sodden mass to pages crinkled, buckled and disintegrating. Now only fit for burning. It saddened me. My schoolboy inspiration.

Ironic, really. Fished from the river. The Compleat Angler by Izaak Walton.

Next: A piece of string.

7. Bee Kay

Bee Kay New Member

It's frayed, like my nerves, and worn thin, like my patience. My eight-year-old daughter has cut it away from the spool and now it lays there, limp and half-curled, not unlike my hair. I wonder if this string has children, perhaps similar in number to my four. Then I realize I've had too much coffee, and frantically dial the babysitter.

Next: a torn pillow.

8. maze

maze New Member

Prompt: A Torn Pillow

Sitting atop the messy bed, the torn pillow sat in the morning light. Stuffing spilled out from the corners and worn stitches while it gleamed in the sun. Such a miserable item seemed heroic as its' stained surface was washed away by the radiance.

A New Laptop

9. TimHarris

TimHarris Member

The light from the lamp reflected off of the smooth aluminum surface like a thin silver plate without a scratch, that had been placed in the sunlight. Lights blinking, music playing, and each button illuminated by a dim blue glow from below where the fans and a hard-drive made a faint almost unnoticeable humming sound, as if a single tiny wasp lived inside the casing.

A Taxidermy bird

10. peachalulu

A peacock in the display window. It's train of turquoise eyed feathers hang down, like a duster in the
    bowls of vintage dishes. Metallic blue throat catches the sun and shimmers like aquarium light. Glass
    eyes flicker as the pedestrians pass. Not catching the admiration or pity. Nothing stirs in it's gutted
    shell, not even the sawdust. He is a shell without the lingering sound of surfs echo.

LAST MEAL ON DEATH ROW

11. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

LAST MEAL ON DEATH ROW

They asked me what I wanted. Anything you like. Just name it.

So I ordered the best steak, marinaded in garlic oil, and tons of chips. Covered in butter and onions. Stick two eggs on top, and beans. And I'll wash it all down with several pints. Don't stint on the beer. And while you're at it, bring some big thick apple pie. And cream. And don't forget the blue cheese. Stilton. The only way to go. And just for the hell of it, have a Chinese and an Indian standing by. Jal ferezi, or a Ceylon. I'll manage it all. You'll see.

But it's likely to be the death of me.

Next: A wooden clothes-peg.

12. peachalulu

The clothes pegs were painted fuchsia, easy to find if they fell in the grass. To Susie, they became a row of flamingos
    their spraddle legs pinched together to force open their beaks for cloth and string. In groups, they tirelessly held up her
    Tinkerbell sheets to dry in the sun.

HAIL

13. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

I'm falling. Every part of me can see the ground. For miles the ground stretches, but what is beyond the point I cannot see? Pavement, grass, windows, cars, trees, water. I strike them relentlessly. Heartlessly. I am cruel, but I can not change myself. Soon the clouds above will separate and the last of me will fall, and my attack will cease.

EARTH 2

14. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

[Side track] How do they do it, painting with words that flow from their fingertips while I plod and peck at the keyboard only to create my crude images?

GREAT STUFF ON THIS THREAD :D [/sidetrack]

Sorry, just read the OP again. Maybe it would help if I didn't skim read so poorly.

OK, let's see: EARTH 2

Everything was there, but something was wrong. Couldn't put my finger on it.

BARBIE

15. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

Saliva dripped from Barbie's plastic toes and blonde hair. Anubis was gentle as his canines clamped on Barbie just enough to hold her without damage. In a soaked blue dress, Barbie smiled and held an arm up as if to wave and tell me: "Hon, isn't Anubis the most adorable little thing?"

CAPSIZED BOAT

1 person likes this.
  16. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Capsized Boat

A Gull squawked, alighting on the spine of a wooden hill. Pecking at its claws as they sunk into the old, rotting planks, it took off again, leaving the bleached belly scarred by its passage.

A mother wolf and her cubs

17. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

The cub's coat was covered in mud as he playfully stepped towards his mother. She sat. Her yellow eyes gazing at the cub in disappointment. The other two cubs stopped wrestling and looked at their dirty brother. He pushed his muddy head into his mother's chest, but she did not respond. He had run off and disobeyed her. He didn't deserve her attention. The cub continued to win his mother's affection. After a moment, she lowered her head and started licking the mud from his face.

LEGO CASTLE

18. Lorravan

Lorravan Member

Lego Castle

Max couldn't believe his eyes. The countless hours that had gone into building his masterpiece, the time he spent searching for the perfect parts for the throne room, and all the nights he had stayed up past his bed time, constructing the archer's towers had gone to waste. His little brother sam stood next to the colorful rubble on the bedroom floor with sad, puppy dog eyes -- the soccer ball, still rolling behind him.

A trash can that really needs to be emptied

19. Junipergins

Junipergins New Member

She lifted the lid and pushed the rounded plastic container into the can. The lid refused to close, propped up by the week of accumulated trash. One corner of the garbage bag lining the can had been unknowingly pushed down, out of view, with the rest of the filth. She lifted the lid again and pushed the plastic container in so it crinkled and bent into a crevice left between the greasy wrappers, a paper coffee cup and bloody Kleenex. She lit an Apple Cinnamon scented candle and frowned when the flame failed to mask the stench, and instead mixed the fragrant with the funky to create a rather nauseating combination. "Sewer Pie", she thought as she bravely reached a finger down into the debris to search for that unseen edge of the garbage bag.

A Perfectly Ripe Peach

20. peachalulu

In the distance the tree appears ladden with August moons. Their sweet celestial scent beckons
    me near. I pluck one from its constellation, feel it's fuzzy flesh sun warmed and take a bite of
    heaven, letting its juice run down my chin.

AN AQUARIUM

21. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Liquid ripples and diaphanous draperies played hide and seek in riotous colors in and between the rocks and plastic plants. The soft whir of the water filter rolled a smooth, unending ribbon of glass given life, occasionally disturbing their game as they swam too close. Shrimp, so clear they were hard to spot, swished their antennae in slow stately silence, pondering their place in this rectangular world.

A BOWL OF CEREAL

22. TheSilverSeas

TheSilverSeas New Member

Floating wheat grains drifted upon a storm less silver sea acting as miniscule life rafts for shipwrecked raisins cast adrift in the milky waters. A large silver dessert spoon was the major feature; half sunken in pasteurized semi-skimmed liquid. Crystals of glucose replaced underwater coral reefs with only oats and strawberry pieces for company. A perfect miniature world, a lonely palace long vacated and confined within a circular ceramic wall.

A FIVE PENCE COIN LYING ON THE FLOOR