1. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

Steampunk Pseudoscience

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Bone2pick, Nov 25, 2018.

Today I was hit with an idea (don't worry, I'm okay :bigwink:) for a fantasy story set inside a steampunk city. My question to you fine folks is: do you happen to know a good resource that delves into possible steampunk technologies? Things like power plants, vehicles, gadgets, and what have you.

2. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

Maybe, if I knew what steampunk was for sure.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

I'd also be interested, I'm planning on writing steampunk-angled stuff at some point but not thought too much about the tech.

I have been thinking about making up my own as well. Right now I've got this idea, which you are free to borrow, of some sort of music box/cd player sort of fusion. It uses the little spinny type thing of a music box to play the music, probably higher tech than that though? And to switch out songs, you pop out the little wheel and replace it with the song you want to listen to. Dunno if it'd be something that'd work IRL but sounds plausible enough for me to run with it.

Bone2pick likes this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    The Difference Engine, by Bruce Sterling and William Gibson portrays a world in which the Babbage Engine worked so well that the computer revolution took place during the Industrial Revolution, based on gears rather than chips.

Some Guy and The Dapper Hooligan like this.
  5. Bone2pick

I plan on inventing a good portion of the tech for this world, but I'm hoping to not have to make up everything. I'd love the equivalent of a Dungeons and Dragons Monsters Manual (yes, I am a nerd) for steampunk machines.

6. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

I love steampunk! This genre is Victorian Age when science and technology were giving their first baby steps. So think about the first locomotive steam machines, mainly industrial revolution. If you like you can incorporate magic as well, of course, if in your world makes sense.

Resources:
    http://steampunkbible.com
    these books are perfect for those who want to dive in the steampunk genre.

https://www.amazon.com/Boneshaker-Clockwork-Century-Cherie-Priest-ebook/dp/B002SKDGT2
    If you like to read this is a good book series from a famous author Cherie Priest.

I hope this helps you to construct your world :) Have fun!:D

7. Bone2pick

Because it's such a new idea, I haven't determined if my world will have magic. My early suspicions are it won't—assuming I can pull off the adventures I have planned without it. That way the machinery and gadgets can be the undisputed fantastical elements of the setting.

Thanks for the links! Those are the kinda books I was hoping for. :bigsmile:

8. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

I envision steampunk technology as equal to sci-fi technology, except that there's no electric-electronic devices. All the computers are done by means of huge vacuum valves system devices. The vacuum valves are the grandpas of the actual transistors. One can do exactly the same with vacuum valves, if we don't think in manteinance and size comparissions.
    Of course, vacuum valves require electricity and since all the gadgets are usually steam powered, I don't think electricity should be deeply developed in the genre beyond vacuum valves and very primitive Faraday discs.

9. Bone2pick

The world I'm planning won't have many, if any, smallish electrical gadgets. But it will have electricity. I'm thinking early stage electricity, when it's still difficult and dangerous to wield. Similar to how The Prestige depicted Tesla.

Some Guy and Artifacs like this.
  10. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

Yeah, that would be cool. I imagine a steampunk setting where all the few ones who use electricity would be considerated as crazy people (perhaps even with some suicidal tendences) or equal to the Wizards & Witches in our Middle Age.

Some Guy and Bone2pick like this.
  11. Bone2pick

Yeah, I see it like that too. Where most of society believes electricity is just too volatile to risk, but a handful of kooky scientists and ever ambitious tycoons are eager to study it and bring it to market.

12. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

I'd like to read some story about that. I've just have the idea of a little miner settlement, a steam-powered fortress beside some huge waterfall that powers the town. The town citizens master the mechanical mysteries of digging the mountains surrounding the settlement by means of exotic bulky smoky drill-robots. The miners have heard very little about electricity, if not anything at all, when someday, a group outlanders present themselves in front of the door.
    "Hello?, we need some iron and copper.... No, is not for our horseshoes. You're going to love it."

Impending Meltdown.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Some Guy likes this.
  13. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

Oh, Now I know what steampunk is... Not to take anything away from Babbage, but Leibnitz was building machines like that long before Babbage was born. That's how he came to re-invent calculous. You might want to put that in a story.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Some Guy and Artifacs like this.
  14. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Glad I could help. Now go and be the crazy scientist, the explorer, the aristocrat, or who knows? simply a citizen with a higher calling?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Bone2pick and Some Guy like this.
  15. JimPruett

JimPruett Banned

Some point around here.

16. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Babbage is gonna come and beat you with a mallet. He doesn't like insects smearing his incredible reputation.

17. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I don't think this is quite what you're looking for, but it's ace and may give you some inspiration:

http://sydneypadua.com/2dgoggles/comics/

Bone2pick likes this.
  18. Norfolk nChance

Norfolk nChance Banned

@Bone2pick

Some great Steampunk links and examples mentioned above. My 2 cents worth or guide...

Study the Human Technology between these two dates...

1820 – 1900 (Queen Victoria’s reign)

Add to this the Technological Theories or near future science fiction of the day (Jules Vern). The end of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars see the age of the Industrial Revolution replacing cottage industries. The American Civil War 1861-65 saw the first Industrial war. We see the buildup of brewing tensions in Europe with an arms race on scale unlike any other seen before. The Collapse of the Otterman Empire giving cause and effect.

Untested war machines and theories start to appear with Steam Propulsion. Naval Strategy (Mahan) completely change how we think future sea battles will be fought. The steam train for troop movement is now essential. The Wright Brothers first heavier-than-air aircraft flight is four years away and cannot be used. The Dyer Airship 1874 patent is the STEAMPUNK vehicle of choice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airship

The Human knowledge expansion was like a second renaissance with Victorian England at its center. Like in the first renaissance we believed anything was possible and within our grasp. Jules Vern and Mary Shelley are must reads...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Thousand_Leagues_Under_the_Sea

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Shelley

You need to write Science Fiction from 1900 perspective; at the very latest point in time without hindsight. However, the mood of the general populace had change drastically from 1875 uplift to the one of in pending doom of 1900. The moods may help create some wider fantasy backdrop for the story.

The one movie I think captures the idea is The League of Extraordinary Gentleman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_League_of_Extraordinary_Gentlemen_(film)

Again, in steampunk sexism and racism not delivered correctly for the era could possible derail a storyline.

Hope this helps

Norfolk.

Bone2pick likes this.
  19. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well it kinda is obvious, Steam Powered things. :p
    Use of coal or wood to heat water to create steam
    to produce power. You can also explore other fuels
    like exotic oils for an alternative, like whale oil.
    I would say look into the tech in things like Bio-Shock
    and the other big VG with the guy that has a sword
    and wears a mask set in a Victorian Steampunk
    universe (Dishonored). They have rudimentary electricity and
    some pretty odd stuff. Basically look into 1876
    tech in general and see how to modify it to work
    with steam powered upgrades, and consider instead
    of just using horse and buggy, but airships (yeah I know
    it sounds too obvious but it is a popular mode of transportation
    in SteamPunk). Granted you can create steam powered
    vehicles of all sort, from cars to giant walkers that are controlled
    with levers and valve systems.
    But overall just look at ways of 'upgrading' Victorian tech
    with what is available during the time period, and you should
    be able to create all sorts of neat things with a little imagination.
    Good Luck. :superidea:

Norfolk nChance likes this.