1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

descriptions of conducting an orchestra

Discussion in 'Research' started by Elgaisma, Aug 16, 2010.

I would love to start my book with my character conducting the school orchestra. Trouble I have 0 experience. lack of coordination and tone deafness mean it was never something I accomplished.

Are there any good written descriptions in literature or elsewhere of conducting an orchestra?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'm sure there are videos on Youtube and elsewhere. Watch them and write your own descriptions - show us all how it's done!

3. Elgaisma

LOL this is where my dyspraxia is limiting me:) I can't understand the movements easily and I can't co-ordinate the movement with the music, its not working:) I may with practice be able to do it, but would be nice to read how someone else has tackled it, however in all my reading I never remember a conductor of an orchestra:)

Once I have seen some written words then I can use that to work out what is happening. But am finding the basic instructions just confusing.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i think it would be pretty boring to have to read a detailed description of how a conductor moves the baton... i'd stick to only giving an idea of how the music moves the conductor, instead of getting into minutiae of movement...

for written descriptions why don't you do an advanced amazon books search for 'orchestra conductor'?

5. Elgaisma

I'm not looking for detailed just interesting a poem would do. Its just to see how its been tackled. Looks like its something that hasn't been tackled very often lol I may just have to get my husband to help me.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Can you speak with a band teacher at your local high school? It may not be exactly like conducting an orchestra, but leading a large band has many of the same challenges. Who knows, your band leader may even know a thing or two about a conductor's work, or may even know a conductor you could speak with.

7. Elgaisma

Thats a good idea lol our schools are a bit dire for music but I do know a brass band leader, I found a description finally after an hour at the library, its in a local book, I am guessing there is a reason noone else has tackled it lol and my husband is helping me:) (he is a jazz trumpet player - he was getting fed up with my writing but this new scene has transformed him). Have decided to describe the lights and stage set more which is where I am more familiar.

I still want to include it but reducing it to a few paragraphs I think will be enough. I like the idea that the character that learns to conduct the universal powers better than anyone who has gone before him starts with a school ensemble lol

My Grandpa would be turning in his grave lol he was pianist and by all accounts talented. He's got the world's most tone deaf granddaughter.