1. Sarah Bollacke

Sarah Bollacke New Member

Currently Reading::
    Les Miserables

Name for the surname Ryker?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Sarah Bollacke, Mar 6, 2021.

Does anyone know a name that would go with the surname Ryker? It would be greatly appreciated!

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

William?

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Island :D

(realistically we need more info to be helpful... absolutely any name could go with more or less any surname... what's the character like, what time period are we in, what genre, etc an so forth ?

Xoic likes this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Say my name...
    [​IMG]

William Stryker

J.D. Ray likes this.
  5. Sarah Bollacke

Les Miserables
    Fair. I mean it's a scientifically based dystopia, but the time period is unclear. Hence, why it could be any name. I'm just looking for something better than Bradley. Most of my friends suggested it, but I didn't really like it for a main character's name. I've only come up with two other ones, Seth and Alec.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

if you'be not yet writtenb the story i'd stick in a place holder and start writing... as you develop the character you'l have a better sense of who he is and what hes called

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  7. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

If you're looking for a strong name, use a full name. In Star Trek, William Ryker used "William" when he was announcing himself formally, and "Will" in polite conversation (and that's what his friends called him). So David Ryker or Thomas Ryker or Cornelius Ryker for a strong, formal setting, but Dave or Tom or Corn for more dynamic settings. Remember, longer names require more head space for the reader. Also, consider Allison, Bridge (short for Brigitte), or Janet, all of which go well with the name Ryker (you didn't say if the character was male or female).

Xoic likes this.
  8. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Would you be willing to expound on this a little bit? I read this sort of thing from time to time and I always have trouble relating it to my own experience.

Xoic likes this.
  9. Sarah Bollacke

Les Miserables
    Preferably male names, I forgot to mention that

10. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I agree with this. If a name doesn't feel "right" yet, just put a placeholder in and keep writing. It'll come to you. I would suggest, if you're truly having trouble coming up with names, go to baby name websites. When I need name help I tend to use Nameberry.
    Another option, and this may or may not appeal to you, is to just pick a name and kind of build the character around the name. I've done this before with at least a couple of my characters. I don't mean you have to build every aspect off their name either, but, like, if the name sounds really tough, then make the character tough, if the name sounds smart, make the character smart, etc.

11. Xoic

I find this extremely funny, coming from @Friedrich Kugelschreiber . You sir singlehandedly take up half of my brainspace every day. :supercool: Note the compact nature of my own nomen. Consideration my friend, consideration!

12. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

I don't know how much I can offer "proof", but I'm aware of it in my own reading comprehension, and have seen other people mention it in posts. Names are important, but it's necessary to give people names they can hold in their head easily, particularly if there are multiple characters. I had a devil of a time reading LotR, because "Sauron" and "Saruman" took up the same space in my head.

I don't know if "Friedrich Kugelschreiber" is your given name, but I can say that I'd never use a name that complicated for a main character. I don't mean that to say that there's anything wrong with that name, just that it would be hard for a reader to internalize, at least if they're American (or probably English speaking). I used to work with a guy named Chadrasekhar Chittemreddy, and I would never use his name for a main character either.

Does any of that help?

13. Xoic

I hate when names sound a little too similar. I have a hard time memorizing names anyway, and if 2 of them start with the same letter or just come a little too close to each other, I'll never get them straightened out unless one is really memorable somehow.

However, I think a long name can stand out for that very reason. A Baron Von Hassleschmidt would stand out in a field of Sams and Franks, unless of course there's also a David Hasselhoff.