1. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

Does this sound like a credible threat/being?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DeathandGrim, Feb 14, 2016.

I'm writing a space fantasy saga that makes use of a threat that's consistent throughout the mythos. And this threat are creatures named Crycerians. In the first book a Crycerian is a main plot point/character along with the controversy surrounding them. But I want to be sure that I described them properly to make them believable. Just tell me how this sounds:

2. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

To start with the obvious, can the sudden appearance of a new star do harm to Crycerians that have not yet become stars?

3. DeathandGrim

Yes, it can absorb them if they're young but if they're older the more likely they are to cause a cataclysm because of the built up energy . One star usually prevails

4. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

I'm not sure how these beings could build a functional society if they can't safely be in the same star system as each other, and without the exchange of resources and ideas, I'm not sure why they'd evolve to be intelligent. From a hard sci-fi world-building stance, I'm not buying these creatures' existence unless they're some sort of construct race (and who would construct a weapon that takes a hundred years to explode?)

Of course, the fact that you call this "fantasy" rather than "sci-fi" makes me wonder how relevant those considerations really are. If the Crycerians are meant as a metaphor for some real-world issue or controversy, don't let their plausibility or lack thereof get in the way too much.

5. DeathandGrim

They don't have an organized society, they're almost brainless. They're also a huge hazard which is why intelligent colonies won't go near a sector with a Jekt (A space anomaly that breeds Crycerions) and ultimately those zones are banned from travel. The affect this has on the galactic world at large is significant, like certain worlds have harder trade routes (or none at all) because they have to go around a Crycerion sector, Crycerion poaching, Cloning, getting lost in a Crycerion sector. They're basically what a zombie is to a post-apoc world in a way

And yea it's less sci-fi and more fantasy space opera than anything. In fact the first book is called Lame Space Opera

6. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

"Lame Space Opera"? So it's satire? In that case I have absolutely no problem with these creatures' concept whatsoever. Go ahead!

7. Oscar Leigh

And it's believable enough anyway.

8. DeathandGrim

It's not satire it's just the title has a lot to do with the protagonists way of speaking.

9. Oscar Leigh

But's it's comedic in some way, right?

10. King_Horror

King_Horror Member

"A Crycerian is a celestial being that is, in essence, a walking star. While their birth is a complete mystery, their life and death is what has earned them a serious reputation. They have a very thick clear membrane that contains rapid nuclear fusion inside that builds tremendously as it ages. Throughout its roughly one-hundred-year lifespan it feeds off ambient energy in the vacuum of space. Once its lifespan is complete it flies into deep space and explodes into what is known as a white giant star. While it’s no bigger than the size of Jupiter and lasts significantly less than a regular star, around maybe a million years, a white giant can seriously damage a well-established planetary system. And it has on several occasions.

This has led to the mapping of certain sectors of the galaxy to be labeled as Crycerion sectors. They are not to be entered nor disturbed by any being due to the nature of Crycerians and white giants. Inside a Crycerian sector a new star may be born at any moment and may even eat another star. The amount of random activity there has led to a unanimous Galactic Federation decision to avoid colonizing those sectors or any immediate areas surrounding them under any circumstance for the safety of the public."

Hmm. To me, this sounds like an environmental hazard. Maybe you could have a major/minor villain utilize this as a way to set-up a conflict in the story.

11. DeathandGrim

Yup ! Character interactions can get pretty silly at times.

That is an idea I'm tossing around

King_Horror likes this.