1. Pcmulready

Pcmulready New Member

Developing conflict

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Pcmulready, Mar 22, 2017.

Hey guys!

I'm slightly new to this forum and I want to ask a question to see what kind of response I get, so allow me to explain. I'm currently writing a story in which I open on a scene with a female character dying (due to burns from a fire), and a male character crying over her (typical romance story). I wanted your advice on how to introduce the conflict that gets them into this situation without it seeming forced. Any advice? Thanks a lot for the help!

Pat

2. SoulFire

SoulFire Member

Currently Reading::
    Deer Season by Erin Flanagan
    Heyo Pat,

My first impression is, why would you put the death of your female lead at the very beginning of the story? I can think of a few ways where this could work, the strongest one being that the story isn't so much about the romance as it is about the male lead's character arc, and her death somehow informs him in a way that will change him profoundly. If this is the case, and her death isn't really the purpose of the story, then I think it is a good way to build tension right off the bat and make readers wonder how they got in that position.

Now onto your question. In order to prevent the fire from feeling forced would be to make it somehow important and impactful. Maybe the fire was her place of work, or her house. Maybe she lit the fire, or the fire was lit by a previously spurned lover. The importance here is that the fire is important to the characters, it isn't some random fire that the female lead wound up in. So, in order for it not feel forced, you'd have to properly build the tension, and prove why this fire is important and who it will hurt (in what ways).

I hope this helps!

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm similarly puzzled as to why you would start with what appears to be the end?

4. Pcmulready

Pcmulready New Member

Hello SoulFire,

I can understand how you two could be puzzled about the beginning, but it is as SoulFire said, the story is about the males character arc. Thank you for your advice! This will surely help, as I'm usually floating between ideas at the beginning of stories. If there's anything you need me to help with, I can give some advice. Thanks again!