1. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Inspiration

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Vianca, Jul 4, 2017.

I find it easier for me to write when I have music on. It keeps me focused and motivated.

What are the things that help you write?

2. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I'm not much for music when I write. what works for me is reading someone like Jack Ketchum or Neil Gaiman.

Vianca likes this.
  3. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Yes. I read too. But I have a 10 month old baby and she's a talker that one. So I block her out in my headphones while daddy deals with her. So reading has become more of a before bed ritual for me.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    DeadMoon likes this.
  4. DeadMoon

We have a three year old who, as far as I know, has not stopped moving since he learned to walk. :confuzled: reading before bed is a must for me too.

Vianca likes this.
  5. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

yup it's draining. well, they're draining. lol

6. DeadMoon

They are but their so worth it.. Speaking of insperation, he pushes me to write and follow that dream so when he gets older I can tell him to follow his dreams and I can be that example. Even if I do not make it at least I can tell him that I followed my passion and that he should follow his.

Vianca likes this.
  7. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

oh yes they are. they're like little sponges. they suck every little piece of energy you have but at the end just to see them smile is such a gratifying moment. My daughter is already showing her love for books. Every time we go to Barnes and Noble she would pick out a curious george book and browse through it. It fills up my chest to know that she wants to be like mom. Also I mostly think its because of the hard covers and she would stick them in her mouth. lol but still haha it's something.
    I want to pursue my dreams as well, but always with her on my mind. she's such a miracle baby that I want her to be proud of me. ♥

DeadMoon likes this.
  8. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

I do more mood music. Less music music and BGMs. I have to spend hours writing the perfect play list for my novels, each musical scene is a sequence or suppose to represent a moment in my novel. From romance to action to political intrigue, it must be the right song.

But I also lack focus inspiration. Being mildly ADD makes it difficult to stay focused on a single bout of inspiration. So I like to talk non stop to friends who are interested in my projects because somehow in my mind that sets an urgency like I have to complete this novel for them. How else are they going to finish the story?

Chasing my thoughts is like a bajillion plot bunnies reproduced in my head and took over my mind.

morning_lightning and Vianca like this.
  9. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

WOW I thought I was the only one that did that.

10. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

I don't know if its because I have mild synesthesia, but for me when I write I visually picture my novels as movies. My words are actually looking through a camera lens following characters around. Narrated by their thoughts. And I hear music in my head for each mood. Its all abstractly there, but I need the right colors, right mood, right sounds in order to be able to write what's in my head.

Vianca likes this.
  11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    This is like the 3rd or so thread on listening to music during writing.

I use it for mood enhancement given a scene's tone, and have a massive
    stockpile of different types of music to fit all those tones.
    Not so much for inspiration, but a good driver for getting the plot
    ball rolling.

Vianca likes this.
  12. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

i wish there was a button for mega like because I might have the same problem as you. lol I never though there was someone who visioned their work as a living novel. I often have to remind myself that it's a writing novel that a dialogue its not effective if i write it as I imagine it

13. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Yeah, I can only speak for myself. That music helps set the stage

14. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

I can hear my dialogue. Its not just imagining it. I live it.

15. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

That's nice. Most people wouldn't get that type of connection you make with your MC only a writer knows. When a song fits the scene and mood of the moment.

16. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

I usually write Ensemble Cast. Its been kind of difficult finding topics about ECs. I like ECs better. To be honest I love the quote "perception is reality more specifically perception is Your reality". And I like embodying that into my writing.

Because I got rid of good and evil stories, and heroes versus villains. I simply make others Ideals, Reasons, and Goals, conflict with other Ideals, Reasons or Goals. Its not that they are bad. Merely what they believe conflicts.

I don't like harrowing stories that are grand in scale. I like isolated themes. And like to use the characters to represent pieces of those themes. The music just helps gets all this abstract thought into something more solid.

Vianca likes this.
  17. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

That's very unique. Well at least for me. Im more of a teen at heart season woman. I like to write about young people because I can make them grow. I wrote a novel only base on musical intuition. It was vamparies (yeah, I know cliche) but the music that went with the story to this day it reminds me of everything I wrote. And the beauty part is that I lost that novel on a hard drive crash and I still to this day remember everything I wrote because I still have the playlist for it. Every time I heard it. Takes to that place I created

18. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

Ironically I also write YA novels, slice of life. I am not exactly bound by a genre. I tell people I write Speculative Fiction more or less. My strengths are in fantasy, more specifically dark fantasies I don't think there is enough dark fantasies. Horror and science fiction. But! I write slice of life from time to time and the criticism I usually get for them is usually high. So there's something there. I simply don't want to come into the industry with a dark fantasy series I have been working on for years now. At least quietly. It Will Get Rejected. I know this. I feel it in my heart. Its sort of a risk and outside of the box. So I'll establish my writing with something easier to digest.

19. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Hey! You never know. (I'mma get cheesy) but you have to believe in yourself and your work. I don't know how a rejection feels yet. And I know I will be getting loads. But for what is worth a good YA book with a good storyline and a unexpected plot, I'll read it. So keep it up so I can become a fan :p

20. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

Hahaahaha! I doubt I am worthy of super fans now.

21. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Hey! Don't sell yourself short. You never know.

22. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

I like the modest approach. Makes people underestimate my capabilities. I am the same way when it comes to acting. I know I am probably very good at it. But I always tell people I am not that good. They always get so offended afterwards

"You're amazing though! I want to be like you!"

No, No you don't. lol

And I always believe no matter what that everyone always has something to always learn. There is no such thing as perfection, simply always perfection in progress. No writer is ever going to get over all their bumps and flaws. And I believe what makes a good writer is one who is always willing to in some way evolve.

23. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Oh for sure. I always tell my family that. When the day come that I classify myself as "the perfect writer" or " I am where I want to be" that's the day I failed as a true Writer. Because you never stop learning, you never stop growing. There's always room for growth and to expand. I love humble people. But when someone gives me a compliment. Hey I take it. Im humble like that. *wink wink*

24. JPClyde

JPClyde Senior Member

Haahahahaa. I don't ever take compliments well. Its difficult for me. I have this saying

You know the black sheep. Yeah I am the gray sheep right beside him, wondering why the fuck he's complaining about.

lol...I am often even too weird for the black sheeps.

I am so use to being shunned. Ostracized. My whole life has been like that. Then as I get older, and people are starting to recognize me for hard work I started years ago I get all shy and quiet.

25. Vianca

Vianca Active Member

Being humble attracts the most honest people. And well, I sometimes am NOT humble. I am an ass, sarcastic, arrogant and sometimes a bitch person hahaha but very rarely i come across some humble and it makes me feel good. You know, because if someone with success is like that why the hell am i like this hahaha you know. A wtf moment runs through my mind. But hey anyway hahaha we're out of topic.

Music other than making people relax it's a good outlet for inspiration :write: