1. Vandal

Vandal New Member

Devil in the mirror

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Vandal, Aug 5, 2012.

Hi, is there a way to call the Devil with mirror? I'm writing a short story about it so I wanted to know if this is possible.
    Maybe someone heard about it somewhere. Or maybe you know where to find that information.

Thanks

2. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

I know you can use a black mirror to summon DEMONS. But Satan? That I'm not so sure about, and I somehow doubt it. Satan won't be called by some mere human, no matter what technique you use.

Then again, it's your story. You can do whatever YOU want.

3. Vandal

Vandal New Member

What about a sorcerer from The Middle Ages? Would it be possible for him?

4. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Are you referring to Scrying?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you're writing fiction, so why are you asking if something can be done, when you can make it happen by just writing it?

6. Vandal

Vandal New Member

I wanna keep it as real as possible, even though I am writing fiction, so every detail is important to me.

7. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

I still hold by what I said: I would think that you would have to be a powerful being to be able to summon Satan himself. If your Sorcerer is powerful, I don't see why not.

8. MeFe

MeFe New Member

If you come up with a realistic method to make it happen, then it would be realistic. Now, it's up to your creativity. :)

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

'keep it REAL'?... the whole idea of there being an actual 'devil' is a figment of humans' imagination, since such an entity has never been proven to exist, so what is there that's 'real' about such a thing to begin with?... write whatever you want to have happen and stop worrying about what's real and what's not, if you want to write fiction...

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Are you actually asking if anyone on this forum has experience of summoning the Devil forth and having a nice conversation with him, and live to tell the tale?

I mean, WTF?

If you're asking for particular pagan practices to make it sound more realistic or at least based on real life, then you're surely asking in the wrong forum!

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm going to step in here with a preemptive request, I'm sure I don't need to do this but I feel I should anyway: let's not turn this into a debate about religions/deities/supernatural entities, and let's all try and at least respect the fact that some people here might believe in these things. Just as some might not. Remember. This is a writing forum, not a religion/anti-religion forum.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Let me expand upon this. If it does turn into a religious debate, it WILL be shut down, and there may be consequences for those who take it there.

13. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

"Devil In The Mirror"...

That sounds like a really good title for your book if you plan to make it. It's what made me look at the thread.

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

In RE to the original poster: I'm unaware of any specific rite, or ritual, or urban legend about summoning the devil in a mirror. There might be some CreepyPasta about it at least. For more respectable sources you might want to do a bit of reading around devil-related literature. While it's not from a mirror I recommend Dr. Faustus the play by Christopher Marlowe as a primary source, and as secondary 'Young Goodman Browne' the short story by Nathanial Hawthorne comes easily to mind.

Both of these things can easily be found for free on the internet, however, for Dr. Faustus I recommend buying the Methuen Drama, revised edition as, though it's primarily the A text, uses some of the B text too, and is a very enjoyable, quick read.

15. Britannica

Britannica New Member

I haven't ever played it, however, there is this game called Bloody Mary. Creepy game though it might work considering your asking about calling a devil with a mirror.
    There are several folk stories about people making deals with the devil and being given drums, rings, whistles, and things of that sort. So as to "call the devil" whenever they wanted something.

16. ThievingSix

ThievingSix New Member

Make it possible. If it sounds plausible, you'll be able to grab the readers interest.

Step 1. Pick a date(optional), e.g. friday the 13th. It should have some superstitious relevance or be the death of a particular person etc..

Step 2. Decide on how the ritual should look. Again, its fiction so you can have candles, blood sacrifices, certain roots or parts of animals, symbols etc.. A good place to start is to pick a real life ritual, Hinduism has lots of interesting ones such as Vedic sacrifices done by Brahman priests or you could do Pagan rituals. The next step is to change this into how you want your ritual to look like.

Step 3. Pick some words that they say. I generally take 10 random word out of "Lorem Ipsum". It's used as filler text in Web development but it also makes for some nice latin sounding text. http://www.lipsum.com/feed/html

Step 4. Decide what is the result of the ritual, and what happens if the ritual fails to work/half works.

That's usually the outline i use when i create any interesting ceremony. Putting it all together briefly gives you;

"The grandfather clock struck 12, ringing in Friday the 13th. All around the room lay candles arranged at the 5 points on a star drawn in blood and wax on the floor. The witches chanted "Vestibulum placerat, justo ut ultricies aliquet, dolor eros blandit est, nec sodales neque sapien vitae elit" and a dark figure emerged from the centre of the circle, breaking through the cheap wood floors and letting out a ear splitting screech. It had begun."

17. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

I find it very unsettleing that you want to know how to summon satan himself.
    It's fiction, half the people who read it don't belive in the devil, those who do probably won't know scwat about summoning demons. So unless your writing for a demon worshipping cult, you don't need to be (Realistic) about anything.

Just make up what ever.

And heavens sake don't try it...