1. Bowler

Bowler New Member

When there is sadness

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by Bowler, Oct 22, 2009.

Hey. I need help with my main character. At the turning point of the story, he was separated from his family (he's a father) and is drawn into some larger part of the plot and he doesn't know if he will see them again. I'm trying to get the story moving now a few chapters on but whenever I write dialogue for this character it seems to happy, or too calm, because he should probably be very depressed or something. But it sounds so tiresome when I just have him dwelling on the loss of his family every single scene, and in his dialogue. Does anyone know any remedies for characters who should realistically be very upset and untalkative?

2. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Have him react outwards. Self-pity and moaning are the worst traits you can give a character. Make him angry, vengeful or whatever else fits with the story situation, just don't make him a whiner. Nobody likes a whiner.

3. Bowler

Bowler New Member

That's a good idea. It explains why I found him so annoying. Only thing is, though, he's a timid and introverted person by nature (not socially, just in terms of ambition), though maybe this would be a good source of character change and development.

4. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce New Member

Never forget how much of a crutch drugs and alcohol are. In one swinging drunk scene, the whole of the character could be laid open in a very human way.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Draw upon your experiences. If you have suffered a loss, or have known someone who has, think about their behavior during that time. Sometimes they put on an overly cheerful front to try to hide their suffering, sometimes they accentuate the appearance of misery to get sympathy. Sometimes they just hide in their work, or hole up to avoid social interaction. They may give short answers in conversation, or no answers at all. Sometimes they surround tjemselves with people but change the subject constantly to deflect any personal conversation. Sometimes they lose interest in doing anything they used to love, Sometimes they turn to alcohol and drugs, and act out when they are high. Insomnia is common.

Keep shifting. Don't settle on just one behavior. Observe, observe, observe.

6. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Consider giving him short-term objectives, maybe where he's reacting to another character's observations or actions, where he has no choice but to be proactive. Also, you're the writer. You ultimately decide how your character sounds and acts. If you're not happy with how your character is developing, simply cut and rewrite. Sounds blunt, but it's simple as.

7. Exar88

Exar88 New Member

You should try to bring about the character to the circumstances he is facing

Seeing that he has dissapeared from his family, you should make him think about

what he should do, how to survive, and how to dwell on not having his family.

Its all about again how you write your character, but also how he interacts with everything

that is happening around him.

8. Empyrean

Empyrean New Member

Building on what people have already said, you could also change his appearance up a bit. Perhaps he's less kempt? Hasn't shaved in a while? Dark rings around his eyes? ect.