Diary of a Homer

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Homer Potvin, Nov 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Supporter Contributor

Dear Homer,

We know you're busy preparing to relocate and and all...but Jingle Bells and I miss you.

Even more than that...You've left me arguing in bed with my Ex. My Ex! For two almost two weeks! Or two years! Or whatever crazy unit of time you've thrust my life into. And I'm, um...unclothed, so I'm getting kind of cold. I know the thermostat was written for the male temperature gauge, because Smugly over there doesn't seem to think it's cold in here.

But really...being stuck in bed in the middle of an argument with my Ex?

Can you help a girl out? Please? Just come back for a minute and have a looksie. Or at least toss me a t-shirt or something to put on.

Thanks, Homer!

Luv,

Holly (and Jingle Bells who is probably hungry and needs a litterbox change by now)

Stormburn and Homer Potvin like this.
  2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Spitting .45 caliber grammar.... Contributor

Haha... I've been getting some work done. Not much, but enough to keep the mail moving. Haven't really been updating the ol' journal because it hasn't been been helping me in the accountability department like I anticipated. I'm not knocking the concept, but I'm not a fan about talking about something until there's something to talk about.

That whole scene ended up being depreciated. I wrote some stuff up for it and ended up reverse engineering the vibe into something else. I didn't need them in bed and felt it to be a bit affected, so I did it up another way. Still pretty rough, but there's enough there to move forward. For me it's all about nailing the vibe of the scene, and not the scene itself.

Interestingly enough, I used the animal thing as a signpost for Holly's little time jumps through her life. At different times she has a little shitzu named Garlic and a long-haired rabbit named Rapunzel. And I continued the gag where they "speak" in dialogue quotes. Garlic goes "arf arf" and Rapunzel goes "sniff sniff," the latter being more of a placeholder until I can better approximate a better way to express a rabbit whinging.

Stormburn and Shenanigator like this.
  3. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

You're quite the honest fellow!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Homer Potvin and Shenanigator like this.
  4. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Supporter Contributor

Glad to hear it. You have a lot on your plate, so I'm impressed you've found time for any forward movement on it!

We all have our own processes. Whatever works for you! Sounds like you're getting stuff done without the progress journal, which is all that matters. If you were not posting and not writing, that would be another thing, but if you're working on the thing you wanted the accountability for, who cares how you get there? None of us is obligated to participate in indulging other people's desire to watch our processes, you know? A lot of us are rooting for you to complete this one, so we'll just continue to
    kick your ass now and then.

Your story, your way, man. I just wanted to come up with a creative ass kicking reminder, and that was my best shot. :)

I like the animals as signposts for Holly's life. That feels like a natural way of marking time. And I love the name Rapunzel for the rabbit. Well done!

When I was a kid I had a couple of pet rabbits (which is why I can't eat rabbit), but I'd be hard pressed to describe the sound they make. They're pretty silent unless they're in distress. An occasional hissy squeak-squeak maybe? The soft crunching and gnawing when they eat is usually noisier than the rabbit themselves.
    I did find something about the nose twitching that might be helpful, though:

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/follow-my-nose/

Well done, Homes!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Homer Potvin and Stormburn like this.
  5. Homer Potvin

Sometimes too honest.

I'm trying to emulate it. Not sure if it's working or not.

Shenanigator and Stormburn like this.
  6. Shenanigator

Far better than being a lying sack of shit...:)

Feel free to run it by us. Or PM it to me if you like.

I thought more about their sound...There really isn't another animal sound like it that I can think of. I always thought mine sounded almost like extremely high-pitched squeaky hinges. It's a nasally whistle squeak...something between a hiss and a nose whistle coupled with a squeak-squeak, usually only uttered in protest. When they're in distress they amp up the volume to turn it into a high-pitched "squeal squeal squeal."

Their actions are far easier to describe. Mine tended to crunch their food contentedly (it was Rabbit Chow into the late 1980's I think) and gnawed as a nervous habit if something was amiss.

Homer Potvin and Stormburn like this.
  7. Shenanigator

It's time for your regular ass-kicking, but you probably have too much on your plate to write, what with the move and all.

However...Just please tell us you've allocated a writing space in your new digs. Somewhere you can plunk a desk or table. Get that desk or table in place, that's all we ask. Doesn't even have to be decked out with more than bare bones supplies. Just make yourself a spot that's all ready for you the moment your inspiration and time coincide.

No "no space for writing space" excuses, by the way...My place is 625 square feet, and I have a writing corner in the livingroom and a vanity table in my room, and I used to share the place with my sister.

You have your assignment, Sir. Use it wisely. We want to read your stuff someday!

Stormburn likes this.
  8. Homer Potvin

So this thing hasn't been open in a year. Haven't even attempted to write anything in like, six months at least. Not quite sure what happened. Somebody called me a workaholic the other day, which scared me more than the other "aholics" I've been called before. It's just that my job (restaurant GM) is absolute madness. Even when I'm "off" I'm not off. There's always something going wrong. Always something I have to attend to, or get ahead of, or give other people instructions for.

Sheesh... maybe my brain has been hijacked. I used to be pretty good at writing... now I hardly think about it anymore. And I don't feel particularly bad about it. Just weird.

Okay, I'll write something tomorrow. Home from vacation with another two days off, so I'll crack something open.

9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Thy rod and thy Staff Supporter Contributor

I know the feeling, and now my fingers are fucked.

10. GB reader

GB reader Senior Member

Life obstructs things you want to do, and you can’t stop living. So you cheat. You stop your real life for a short time. Then you write flash fiction. But you play it safe, only seven minutes, and only once a day, as you can't give up your life. Set a timer on your phone. Write.

Every Sunday you end the story.

Of course most will be bad, but you are writing!
    There must be hundreds of incidents at the restaurant you could do something with.

11. Homer Potvin

More like thousands. And most of them would have to be dumbed down to pass as fiction. Restaurants are where reality and the apocryphal trade places with impunity.

12. GB reader

GB reader Senior Member

You must of course play it down. Don't write about the family that brought two goats with them for Sunday dinner. In your version they had only one. Otherwise the readers would think you made it up.

From what we have seen of you here on the forum you would have no problems to write "Absurd fantasy".

Working title could be:

'Tales from the restaurant at the end of the galaxy'

(Douglas is hardly realistic, as the universe is infinite there is no end to it. Whereas your tales would of course take place in a real location)

Keep writing!

Stormburn likes this.
  13. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I feel for you. My work/life schedule has gone in overdrive the last few weeks. Keep writing. A little here and a little there. Find a hill, raise your banner, and write.
    You have been a source of encouragement, advice, and entertainment. Don't stop being you. You, my friend, the writer.
    Godspeed!

Alan Aspie and Homer Potvin like this.
  14. Homer Potvin

Thanks. Is there beer atop this hill? That would be dandy.

Stormburn and flawed personality like this.
  15. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Senior Member

Writer's drink is ink.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  16. Homer Potvin

Is ink slang for wine? That'll work, too. Not quite as versatile or utilitarian as beer, but not as unpredictable as whiskey. Hmm, maybe I should have had a V8.

Some Guy likes this.
  17. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Senior Member

Only if your printer works with it.

Ink is the thing they sell in small and expensive plastic cubes which you put to your your printer so that it can have more errors and messier paper jams.

Homer Potvin and Some Guy like this.
  18. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Now that was .45 caliber!

Homer Potvin likes this.