Differences in Christian religious displays

Discussion in 'Research' started by Iain Aschendale, Feb 9, 2018.

1. FifthofAscalante

FifthofAscalante Member

Firstly, I haven’t read all the reponses, so someone might have already made this suggestion, however, something as simple a as a cross with Jesus on it versus an empty cross can speak he difference between Catholic and Protestant.

I think you want the dead husband to be Catholic, but it if you opted to do it the other way, you could have wedding photography taken in front of a parish that looks like a typical residential house, which is the way the majority of non Catholic churches look, and then have on the presently widowed woman’s door chalked, which, I think, is a typically Catholic tradition.

Or even more subtle; have two bibles somewhere on display in the house, where one will have a grey cover with a simple cross or just saying “bible”. Then, give the other a crimson cover, with a golden lineart of Christ suffering on the cross. Whichever one looks more worn down is the one that used to belong to the deceased person.

Iain Aschendale and BayView like this.
  2. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

I'm not sure if I'm actually offending you at all or anything, but I think you have it a little bit wrong. Whatever the actual differences or whatever (I knew Christianity was an umbrella term, yet I thought it too was its own 'actual' religion), I don't really care that much and am no longer trying to make an actual statement on religions or their relationship to each other (outside the fact that even in the same religion, denominations will get angry at each other). Thanks for the clarification and everything, I'm just not articulating myself as well as I could/should.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Catholics are Christians.

(Ok, yes, I did apparently miss the sixteen people saying the same thing. Always refresh the thread.)

BayView likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You are late the the party. Right, but... late.

ChickenFreak likes this.
  5. TheRealStegblob

I had thought that Christianity was in itself a religious denomination of Christianity, at least that's what I seem to recall growing up hearing. I know in my home town there was a Methodist and a Protestant church, but the church I went to was just a 'Christian church', of course I suppose that means it was probably for all denominations of Christian.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

It may also mean that it tried to co-opt the word.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Is that a perfectly crafted piece of 'trollery' - or a young guy talking freely as he should?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  8. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Yeah, there's lots of "we are the true Christians" stuff out there. I mean, obviously every denomination thinks they've got it right, but some of them are more or less insistent on there being only one true way.

9. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

The whole "Catholics aren't (true) Christians" thing goes all the way back to the Reformation, and it's still common amongst some hardline Protestants. Considering the remarks about Harry Potter and all, I'd say you found one of those. Best to ignore them in the future.

I mean, there certainly are important differences in particular beliefs that a believer would consider important to the matter of salvation, but I think I'd generally consider the question of "is this 'true' Christianity?" to be outside the scope of human judgement.

Turning to the OP, jewelry is a good one. Wreybies mentioned cross necklaces, and while I agree they aren't always the best indicator, I have seen a number of Catholics scoff at the tendency of certain Protestant denominations to wear a plain cross. It wouldn't prove she'd drifted back to her old denomination on its own, but that could work well enough as a minor clue.

Some Protestant denominations are aniconic. Complete absence of religious art despite the widow being established as pretty religious could hint at that.

10. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Even her leaving her Bible open to a book like Maccabees could show she was making a move back to Orthodox/Catholic from something more protestant.

Wreybies likes this.
  11. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Indeed. And if you wanted to go more obscure, being open to Jubilees or Enoch would tell you she was Ethiopian Orthodox, the only Christian denomination that considers those books canon.

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Don't most protestants go to chapel rather than to church, that might mean that the christian church could have been so called because it was the only actual church in town (whether it was Anglican or Roman ), or may be because it was shared by both roman and anglican which is not that uncommon in small communities

Also Methodists are protestants ... the four principal stands of Protestantism are Presbyterian, Methodist, Lutheran, and Pentecostalism . There are also other smaller strands such as Anabaptists and Mennonites

Incidentally the use of Catholics to mean Roman Catholics is also incorrect (although very common), technically when Henry VIII broke with Rome he created the Anglican Catholic church with himself as head instead of the pope. This is not the same thing as Protestantism (although again the two are often conflated).

On the OP the lady might have text such as the '95 theses' by Martin Luther on her book shelf which would hint pretty strongly at a drift towards protestantism.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  13. TheRealStegblob

That could be it. I suppose something that compounded my confusion was that I specifically remember this lady in question, when she gave me and the guy I was talking to this big long lecture about how it wasn't cool to date Catholics, she kept saying "We are Christians, Catholics believe blah blah blah and think this way, which is not what Christian teachings tell us, etc". Either she herself didn't know what she was talking about or her use of 'Christian' was supposed to mean 'the right kind of Christian'.

14. matwoolf

@Moose!

- ANglicanism, Anglicans, 10 000 churches, cathedrals, churches not chapels.

Sounds like you been in America too long, or Wales - though you are in Devon hence Baptists & Liberals.

15. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    This sounds like a British vs. American English thing, I was raised Presbyterian, friends were mostly Methodists or Northern Baptists, but no one ever said anything but "go to church."

It was a very religious town, we had to get the meanings from the way we inflected things.

izzybot likes this.
  16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Some of my grandad's sisters (and offspring) are Pentecostals ... they've founded their own church ( I refer to them as provisional Pentecostals because the official Pentecostals weren't good enough for them). I haven't spoken to that branch of the family for years, not since they chose my grandfather's funeral to tell my granny that as he wasn't in a state of grace when he died he'd have gone to hell.

Fuck. You. Right in the face.

I'm a pretty tolerant guy, people can believe in whatever flavour of religion they wish so long as they don't try to force it onto me, but there are lines you don't cross.

17. big soft moose

and yeah I think its an old world/new world thing ... because protestants were persecuted in Britain they kept their religion on the down low and thus had meeting houses and chapels instead of churches (often the meeting houses were disguised as barns).

18. matwoolf

Not Protestants. It was a Protestant state - Presbyterians & Non-conformists, Pilgrim Fathers. PURITANS

[Plans revenge for 'gun thread.']

19. matwoolf

Translation

The super-godly jumped in a ship to escape everyone taking the piss out of them. They sailed all that way, and they started another country, called it New England and all that sort of thing. Then loads of them and some Germans got in wagons and turned west. Indians on the way, but they stayed there nonetheless, being all religious and wearing hats, and now 7000 years later on, they're back, on the telly and stuff like that, spouting this crap from the 1640s, but they're quite nice, just the way it goes.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  20. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    My initial thought was pieces of jewelry. The Presbyterian church that I went to as a kid had a hanging black cross with a sort of gold circle/halo thing around the intersection (looked like a classic rifle scope, but with a long bottom leg), one of my friends' churches had a sort of starburst at the center of the cross, and of course there's the crucifix, but when I went looking online about jewelry, I found, well, a whole lot of Christian Debate Rooms going at it hammer and tongs about whether or not Christians should wear crosses or crucifixes at all, which sort, whether or not they should be visible outside the clothing if worn (Matthew 6:5), etc. Surprise surprise, no more cut and dried answers in the religious world than in the writing world. Since the lady in question is definitely in her sixties or older, the clothing thing wouldn't be as much of an indicator as it would with someone younger, either, conservatism comes with age (although I had an older coworker who still had an enthusiasm for low-cut blouses and high-cut skirts, nothing that she had on display engaged any of my particular fetishes). Catholic will definitely be one half of the equation just because it's easy to identify, and literature, especially something fresh, like a church bulletin (vs. Bible on the shelf) will show the change clearly.

21. big soft moose

Nope - it was a Catholic state that persecuted protestants. Roman Catholic under Mary, Anglican Catholic under Elizabeth, Both with a strong Roman leaning under James 1 and Charles 1, then Protestant under Cromwell, then Both Catholic again under Charles 2 and James 2, then Protestant under William of Orange, remained so under Anne and then returned to Anglican Catholicism (CofE) under the Georges although they didn't persecute protestants to any great degree

Presbyterians etc were protestants

22. matwoolf

No, you’re mixing up ‘Anglican Catholic’ with Roman. Bloody Mary was Catholic and then the next time the Jacobites threatened restoration of Catholicism - James II - he was chased out in the Glorious Revolution, replaces by Protestant William of Orange.

Yea, Presbytarians were Protestants. To me, and to historians, Protestant & Anglican were synonymous. You’ve introduced a layer of complexity that didn’t/doesn’t exist.

23. big soft moose

No Anglican catholic is CofE , as I said when Henry broke with rome he remained a catholic it was just that he was no longer roman catholic - it isnt the same as protestant.. thus the jacobites threatened the restoration of Roman Catholicism ... what was also known as Papistry

24. matwoolf

25. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

And here I thought England was Anglican