Differences in UK/US/Canadian/Australian English

Discussion in 'Research' started by Tenderiser, Feb 20, 2017.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I tend to say scran ... I think that's probably an armyism originally

2. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

My son says that for tea/food in general, he comes in and says, "got any scran, I'm staaaaaaaarving."

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

According to the urban dictionary it originated with the Royal Navy

4. cutecat22

The North East was a big shipping port at one point in the past, so it's understandable that it could have come her from there.

We still get some navy ships docking partway up the Tyne now and then. The Disney cruise ship was up here not so long back, their foghorn is the "when you wish upon a star" notes! :-O

5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

So is that a shrimp (US), or a prawn (UK)?

6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

'Knackered' is considered coarse by some - having the [UK] archaic meaning of being sexually spent. Opinions divide on this one. Adolescents would be dismissed from the family table for exclaiming - 'mummy, I'm knackered, mummy.' There's a Mumsnet thread on the subject.

'Spunk' is rude in Britain. We get a lot of pleasure reading Aus usage - 'spunky young fellow,' etc - altho' origins are certainly our end of the pipe, ew. [I believe]

Two words/expressions that have so definitely dropped from the vocabulary - and it's an embarrassment to recall my suburban & Victorian heritage - 'tail' for penis - must be a childhood/class thing and also 'trump' for fart. Flatulence pride requires a chapter of its own. My wife - coming from a more elevated background recalls breaking wind as a matter of pride - 'What ho, corker!' kind of thing...whereas - as little boys we'd be walloped for the same.

I noticed this - at this ruffians' workplace I attended a while - a couple of the guys would use farting as their main vehicle of expression, & for attention. Whilst the 50 yr old temporary man from Glasgow, he said:

''Y'know, behave like that in Kenya [where he had family] you'd be taken outside and beaten.' Different attitudes.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I'm pretty sure prawn and shrimp are different species. I wonder if that's less of a regional language difference as it is a regional food difference.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. matwoolf

British call the tiny ones shrimp, anything bigger is a prawn.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

Where I live a prawn is just a marketing term for big shrimp.

Wild BC spot prawns pandalus platyceros are a delicacy known around the world for their sweet, delicate flavour and firm texture. They are most recognizable for their reddish brown colour, which turns bright pink when cooked, defining white spots on their tail and white horizontal bars on the carapace.

BC spot prawns are the largest of the seven commercial species of shrimp found on the west coast of Canada. They vary greatly in size, with some larger females exceeding 23 cm in total length. Prawns are hermaphrodites: for the first two years of their lives they are males, and then they change to females. Typically, spot prawns live a total of four years.

In BC, approximately 2,450 metric tonnes are harvested annually, with about 65% of the harvest coming from the waters between Vancouver Island and the mainland.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. cutecat22

It's a crustacean

11. matwoolf

It was a metaphor lobster, @Catrin Lewis waded in with her prawn.

12. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

The terms shrimp and prawn are common names, not scientific names. They are vernacular or colloquial terms which lack the formal definition of scientific terms. They are not taxa, but are terms of convenience with little circumscriptional significance. There is no reason to avoid using the terms shrimp or prawn when convenient, but it is important not to confuse them with the names or relationships of actual taxa.[2]

Pink shrimp may refer to any of the following species:

Sidestripe Shrimp
    Pandalopsis dispar

Sidestripe shrimp are second only to prawns in terms of size, reaching up to 21 cm (8 inches) in length. They have distinctive long antennules and stripes along their abdomen after which they are named. They are bottom-dwellers prerferring muddy soft habitat. They range from northern Oregon to the Bering Sea in Alaska.

Prawn is a common name for small aquatic crustaceans with an exoskeleton and ten legs (i.e. a member of the order decapoda), some of which can be eaten.[1]

The term "prawn"[2] is used particularly in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Commonwealth nations, for large swimming crustaceans or shrimp, especially those with commercial significance in the fishing industry. Shrimp that fall in this category often belong to the suborder Dendrobranchiata. In North America, the term is used less frequently, typically for freshwater shrimp. The terms shrimp and prawn themselves lack scientific standing. Over the years, the way shrimp and prawn are used has changed, and nowadays the terms are almost interchangeable.

In the United Kingdom, prawn is used more commonly on menus than shrimp, while the opposite is the case in the United States. The term prawn also loosely describes any large shrimp, especially those at 15 (or fewer) to the pound[citation needed] (such as king prawns or jumbo shrimp).

Oscar Leigh and matwoolf like this.
  13. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

Pissed, pissed or pissed off?

In Canada we say "pissed off " when we are angry and I noticed Americans say "pissed."

But here we also say we were really "Pissed" or "Pissed to the gills" if describing getting drunk.

Also, we will say "That's fuck-all, " to mean "that's nothing, " or "disregard that."

I said that once in conversation with a fellow who turned out to later become a writer from Texas ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domingo_Martinez_(author) who responded with "Wow! People really do say that!"

He had heard of it before.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

[​IMG]

Oscar Leigh and Carly Berg like this.
  15. matwoolf

shrimp
    [​IMG]

prawn
    [​IMG]

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  16. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Same with "pissed" and "pissed off" in UK and here. Americans were the special children.

Shenanigator likes this.
  17. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

Yesterday I contributed something without attributing the sources.

Here it is again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawn

The terms shrimp and prawn are common names, not scientific names. They are vernacular or colloquial terms which lack the formal definition of scientific terms. They are not taxa, but are terms of convenience with little circumscriptional significance. There is no reason to avoid using the terms shrimp or prawn when convenient, but it is important not to confuse them with the names or relationships of actual taxa.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_shrimp

Pink shrimp may refer to any of the following species:

https://thisfish.info/fishery/species/sidestripe-shrimp/

Sidestripe Shrimp
    Pandalopsis dispar

Sidestripe shrimp are second only to prawns in terms of size, reaching up to 21 cm (8 inches) in length. They have distinctive long antennules and stripes along their abdomen after which they are named. They are bottom-dwellers prerferring muddy soft habitat. They range from northern Oregon to the Bering Sea in Alaska.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawn

Prawn is a common name for small aquatic crustaceans with an exoskeleton and ten legs (i.e. a member of the order decapoda), some of which can be eaten.[1]

The term "prawn"[2] is used particularly in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Commonwealth nations, for large swimming crustaceans or shrimp, especially those with commercial significance in the fishing industry. Shrimp that fall in this category often belong to the suborder Dendrobranchiata. In North America, the term is used less frequently, typically for freshwater shrimp. The terms shrimp and prawn themselves lack scientific standing. Over the years, the way shrimp and prawn are used has changed, and nowadays the terms are almost interchangeable.

In the United Kingdom, prawn is used more commonly on menus than shrimp, while the opposite is the case in the United States. The term prawn also loosely describes any large shrimp, especially those at 15 (or fewer) to the pound[citation needed] (such as king prawns or jumbo shrimp).

18. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

On the US/UK usage: At least in my part of the US, "shrimp" is a collective noun--as in, "I had forty shrimp." Am I right that in the UK it's not, so that would be "I had forty shrimps?"

19. Masterful Misanthrope

Masterful Misanthrope New Member

If you want to do anything in NW US or Canada, it is worth to keep in mind that both areas have a quintessential California accent. However, there is some unique slang terms that orinigated in a Chinook-English pidgin language.
    Spendy- Exspensive
    Rig- Vehicle, or to create/ build. For example: "I rigged up some rope and a tarp for a makeshift shelter"
    Duff- Forest litter

Those are the three big ones that virtually everyone who was raised in PNW says. The others are quite variable in who says them.

People from California usually say "the [road]". Your average American might say, "Take I-84 to highway 212", and your average Californian might say "Take the I-84 to the highway 212". If some one spent part of their childhood in California, or hasn't lived there for some time, they may not speak like that all the time. But every once in a while they will slip up, if you wanted to add extra authenticity to characters spending time in or originally from California.

20. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

Words meanings and spellings.

RE: Differences in UK US Canadian Australian English

21. Bobby Burrows

Hooroo is an Australian English word, here's example of English speaking countries having different words.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. Bobby Burrows

My favourite Australian word?

Root

Means something different in Australia.

23. Bobby Burrows

It's either prawn or king prawn, nobody calls it shrimp in the UK (in South London and the London area that is).
    I mean, we know what shrimp are, but we call them prawns, and the plural of prawn is prawns.

From prawn crackers to prawn cocktail (popular flavour of crisps/potato chips) to prawn on your seafood pizza... The little ones are called prawns, the big ones are called king prawns.

Maybe TGI Fridays might call it shrimp, but they're an American chain with an American theme.

Also;
    If anything, the little ones are called prawns and the big ones are called shrimp, but in reality: they're all prawns.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  24. Hackworksubleis

Hackworksubleis New Member

A car with a manual transmission is called a standard here in Canada (East). But it's from my wife, whose parents are from New Zealand and Britain and has grown-up here in Montréal. So... :crazy:

I'm Canadian, so shoot your questions. ;)

25. matwoolf

There was a post on here about 'driving with a stick.' I thought she was running around the garden blowing raspberries.