1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Linked In...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jan 10, 2014.

Has anyone every made use of their "connections" in Linked? I don't really remember when I joined, but little by little I have 'linked up' with other interpreters and translators across the data-sphere. I seem to have crossed some threshold point where the requests are coming in with greater and greater regularity. But I'm left with the sense that this is little more than wasteful hassle since, plainly put, I don't turn work away so I can't imagine myself ever saying "Hey, there's some work over here for someone who wants it", and I can only imagine the same paradigm holds true for the rest in my field.

Anyone actually make this service work for them?

2. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

@Wreybies, It would be the world's most boring party if all my Linked In connections got together at once. I hear how so-and-so got some work through a connection but I'm thinking is not unlike a sighting of a sasquatch, Nessy, or the kid who got killed by a car and is seen once a year on the anniversary of his death, standing on the side of the road where he was killed.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you mean 'linkedin' i've gotten requests for mentoring from my posts there... but so far, no paying clients...

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is a Linked.com as well. but I'd never heard of it until I googled it just now. I have certainly used my LinkedIn connections when job hunting, and to keep in touch with past colleagues. I've also used it just before job interviews to check out the company I'm interviewing at, and even the people I'll be meeting with in the interview.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, sorry, I meant Linked In.

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I've been ignoring the whole social media scene though I know that is going to have to change when I get closer to finishing my novel. I thought Linkedin was for professional connections. I haven't needed those, I'm in a networking group and haven't needed more.