Tags:
  1. Freshpage

Freshpage Member

Different POV?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Freshpage, Oct 13, 2020.

I'm writing a fantasy novel. My main character was born into a magical community which is now mostly extinct. She was taken and adopted into a community of healers, where no one knows that she has magical abilities (something she discovers by accident as she grows up). She fears that if her magical abilities come out, she will be cast out of her community.
    In the past, when there were many more of them, magical-born people exerted power over those without magic, which has resulted in wars and trouble. Because of this the few who now, in her time, are born with magic are despised.

So far I've used my story to show my protagonist having this ability and her fear of discovery. What sort of scene could I use to show that her fear is actually based on something real? I've considered doing a scene with a different POV, from a side character who is either the victim or witnesses someone being treated badly because they are magic-born, but I'm struggling with deciding what could actually happen to show this.

I'm looking for a general brainstorm, hoping that as I read some of your creative responses, inspiration will strike. So any thoughts you have on it, the crazier the better, I'd love the hear.

2. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't put it into a different POV; couldn't she witness a persecution herself, from a safe distance / safely incognito? If you keep the POV and keep it to your protagonist, you will be able to build on her interaction & reaction to witnessing the scene which in turn can build character development.

Freshpage likes this.
  3. Freshpage

Freshpage Member

Yes that was another thought I had. Thanks :)
    I just struggle to think of sonething effective but maybe letting it sit and simmer for a day or two will help.