Tags:
  1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Dilemma

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Stormsong07, Aug 29, 2017.

I really want to try Scrivener, but I do most of my writing on different computers at work, (depending on my assignment for the day, I'm in a different location each time) so I just use Word. I email myself my story at the end of each day. But Word is getting annoying.
    Are there any writing programs I could use online, and therefore, it wouldn't matter what computer I am at for the day?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Are there dozens and dozens of computers at work, or just three or four? I have my Scrivener stuff syncing between computer and phone and iPad; I'd think that it could sync between multiple computers, though I'm not sure.

3. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Senior Member

Google docs, or use a cloud service like DropBox if you are allowed to.

4. Michael Pless

Michael Pless Senior Member

I'm pretty sure Bibisco is portable so could run off a thumb drive, if the machines aren't tied-down too tightly - those at my wife's work have a lot of security in place. There's bound to be others around, but that's one that springs to mind. I think Manuskript may also run from a thumbdrive. Both are free.

But I'd look to online resources, like others have suggested here - that way it's always available. Google docs perhaps offers all the essentials for your writing. Zoho is another that offers online wordprocessing but I believe is more sophisticated than GD.

There are also online writing applications but I don't know how good they are.

5. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

You could sync Scrivener with Google Docs, so that your files are actually on the cloud.

6. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

I rotate between 6-10 computers, I'd say. The thumb drive idea might have merit. I'll check out Google Docs as well. Thanks guys

7. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

@Stormsong07
    Please don't entrust your WIP to a thumb drive. They are notoriously unreliable and can lose files without any warning. They should only ever be used for transferring files, not storing them long-term.