1. sfr

sfr New Member

Dimethyltryptamine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sfr, Jul 21, 2008.

This drug is naturally found in trace amounts in the human body, and could be in part responsible for hallucinations. I was just wondering if any of you have ever experienced a natural hallucination.

2. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

A natural hallucination? I dunno... I used to have moments where I'd hear my father's voice even though he was on a business trip, but not anymore. Perhaps I just cope with insanity? :p

3. PipeandPen

PipeandPen New Member

I think we all have (dreams).

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Def'nitely. Sometimes even before I'm actually asleep, I'll be lying in bed and come totally unglued from reality.

5. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I smell things sometimes that aren't there and these sensations tend to last for a few weeks (there are various different smells, too), but I don't know if it's "natural" or not (would a schizophrenic's hallucination be "natural"?), it just happens. No idea what causes it. I read somewhere that stress can cause such things but I wouldn't know, I never seem more stressed than usual when it happens. *shrug*

I wouldn't call dreams hallucinations. Perhaps they're along the same lines but I have never heard the two called the same thing even in theory. For one thing, I figured hallucinations are imaginary sensations we experience while awake (even if in a modified state of consciousness). One example of the difference between the two is the hallucinatory experiences people occasionally have before falling asleep and just as they wake up, hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations (I might be misspelling those a little).

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Just remember that although DMT exists in low levels in the human body, as a pharmaceutical it is a controlled substance, and is considered dangerous.

The most common natural hallucination I've experienced is looking at a stranger, but instead seeing a familiar face. I believe that is a perceptual glitch due to the way our brains perform pattern recognition to process visual information.

7. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

Same here, and besides that, I'll be walking somewhere and I'll hear someone calling my name, and then I'd look around and their would be no one. Sometimes it freaks me out.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think it just goes to show that being human is a complicated affair and that the computer (brain) we use is so very complex that it is just as prone to the occasional glitch as my lap-top PC.

I suffer from a number of sleep related disorders. One of which is sleep paralysis. The reason I mention it is that there are aspects of the disorder which could be thought of as hallucinatory. It tends to happen just as I am nodding off, or just very relaxed and in a reclined position. The sleep ‘subroutine’ (this was the analogy I gave to my doc) begins to run, but gets hung up at one particular point. I am quite conscious. If the TV is on, I can tell you everything that was said afterwards. I cannot move; I can just flutter open my eyes, and occasionally I can speak. I always experience a fear of suffocation during one of these episodes. My perception of what is going on around me is quite altered. Like filtering real events through a dream processor. It is usually a very disturbing feeling and if I can speak, it is usually only to call for help in the way of shaking me to break the glitched program. Sometimes, horribly, it will happen time and again as I try to go to sleep and usually means no sleep at all for that night.

Sleep Paralysis

9. ValianceInEnd

Wow, that disorder sounds awful Wrey! I hope you can find a way to get more sleep.

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I experienced that one time in my life...about 35 years ago. Frightening! I woke up to a noise...thought a burglar was breaking into the house, and while I was completely awake, I was 100% paralyzed. It passed in about five minutes and I refused to go back to sleep that night.

As far as hallucinations...nope...not that I remember.

11. NaCl

Funny story...not a hallucination, but a close experience with the supernatural.

In 1971, I was a typical young male pig willing to whisper anything a girl wanted to hear in hopes of getting the "big okay." One night, I went out with this cute young lady who deeply believed in horoscopes and the occult. Of course, I played along, agreeing to all her incantations and smoking funny rope in some abundance. My acting was rewarded, and at the appropriate time she screamed out something about a great tremor in the spiritual world caused by the power of our combined signs. She predicted something terrible would happen since we unleashed some kind of bad spirits. I agreed and suggested that if we did it again, maybe we could pull them back! She bought it.

I got back to my military barracks late that night, so tired I just fell into bed without undressing. The next thing I knew, my bed was rocking violently. I opened my eyes expecting to see one of my buddies trying to wake me up because I was late to work. The bed rocked even harder, yet there was nobody there! A six foot tall locker at the foot of my bed tipped crazily over me...still don't know why it didn't fall. The first thing that came to mind was those evil spirits. She scared the crap out of me!

It was the big Sylmar earthquake of 1971. Whew.

12. Orianna2000

Orianna2000 New Member

I frequently have hallucinations in the middle of the night, if I wake. Usually they're of people or things (a giant butterfly, a Chinese dragon, someone at the window) but occasionally I hallucinate the color red. My cat seemed to have red-tipped fur, once, and another time the carpet was covered in red splotches. Oh, I've also had olfactory hallucinations during the day, usually triggered by something I see. Like someone smoking on TV will trigger the scent of cigarette smoke.

I also have sleep paralysis, and every time I've experienced that, I've hallucinated someone standing nearby, either beside my bed or in the doorway. It's incredibly frightening, because you know you're awake, and yet you're hallucinating and can't move anything other than your eyes.

13. ValianceInEnd

Haha, what a great story. :D

14. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Yeah, one hell of a karmic payback, eh?

I had a really odd dream today, but I think I figured what all the pieces mean. It wasn't one of those crazy abstract ones with dragons telling you they're Chinese, and giant butterflies causing hurricanes halfway across the world. But it had it's own quaintness.

ETA: Have those two creatures ever fought in a typical Godzilla fashion?

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've had what some would call 'visions' a time or few...

i wouldn't call them 'hallucinations' though, as they were connected with meditation and/or perhaps a quasi-hypnotic state, but not while under the influence of anything ingested or inhaled...

16. gigantes

gigantes Banned

holy moley... that's one of the scariest things i've ever heard of.

re: topic,
    during extreme stress or various emotions i'm willing to bet that hallucinations are quite common on average, altho perhaps not on the same experiential order as unconscious-related or drug-related hallucinations.

17. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

i've actually done this

dmt is supposedly the most coveted drug on the streets right now, no one really carries it since it's non addictive. it's pretty easy to make the stuff, you can extract it from grass, like, lawn grass if you have a home chemistry set, i think you need lye too though, i don't remember, you can look it up online. no known side effects as of yet. your brain gives you a dose or two while you're asleep, that's what causes dreams. (that's not proven or anything, but that's my theory) An actual dose of the drug form depending on how much you take is way more powerful than anything your brain administers. My one experience with it gave me like 4th and 5th dimensional awareness (or so i thought) i communicated with interstellar beings .. crap like that, the hallucinations, although powerful only last 10 min, 20 tops, and as soon as you snap back to reality you immediately start to forget everything that happened in your hallucination... just like a dream. It was pretty cool, it reminded me of being in a sensory deprivation tank, but just like the tank, it was something i only needed to do once.

18. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Could this explain Hysterical blindness? or is that rather odd occurance been explained somehow else

(sorry was just watching a doco on war and hsterical blindness) and i though its funny what the body can do...then i read this..

(this going of the early post, not sleep paralysis)

19. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

when i was in iraq we were briefed on hysterical blindness. They said it's when your brain decides to shut off your vision, either temporarily or permanently, because it determines that what you're seeing is too traumatic to continue viewing. i'm sure it's more complicated than that but that's the dumbed down grunt version of the story.

20. The Bard of Wigan

The Bard of Wigan New Member

What's a natural hallucination? As a symptom of a non drug induced psychotic episode is a hallucination natural?

21. NaCl

"Natural" hallucinations are common with certain mental health diseases. They can take many forms. Auditory (voices) are probably most common followed by tactile hallucinations (crawling on the skin or burning). Visual, olfactory and taste hallucinations are not uncommon.

Sleep or oxygen deprivation can also produce hallucinations. Other natural medical problems like diabetes, epilepsy and cancer can cause blood chemistry changes that may lead to hallucinations.