1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

What's with all the old threads resurfacing?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by deadrats, Sep 23, 2016.

It seems like a bunch of old threads have come back. It's kind of annoying. I've been trying to avoid them, but I just realized I posted in one of them. I don't really understand why anyone is going that far back and then leaving a comment two years later. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen this or maybe even posted because you thought it was a new discussion. Does this bother anyone else?

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

No, not really.

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I sometimes get confused why somebody has resurrected an uninteresting thread to add an uninteresting point.

But no, it doesn't annoy me, and I don't understand why it annoys anyone.

deadrats likes this.
  4. deadrats

Maybe annoyed is coming across harsher than I intended. I was just confused to see a lot of it all at once, but I know I haven't been here that long. I guess I don't understand why someone wouldn't just start a new thread on the topic than pull up one from two years ago. Are those people still around? Maybe? I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers.

5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

A lot of them probably arrive via searches, either Google or on the forum itself, and don't check the date.

On some forums it's the crime of the century to start a thread on something that's been discussed before (e.g. on here, if someone starts a thread on thoughts in italics they'll get a snotty "Oh god, not this again" reply). On others, it's the crime of the century to resurrect zombie threads. It's no wonder people sometimes get it 'wrong'! :D

6. Scot

Scot Senior Member

I've noticed the trend, but without looking at the resurrectors to confirm, perhaps it's newbies doing what is recommended; reading old threads to get a feel for the place.
    Doesn't bug me. I know of one forum where newbies get flamed for starting a thread on a topic that had been done to death years ago. Why don't you use the search facility dumbass??????

7. deadrats

I would think it's better just to start a new thread, especially if the initial discussion died year ago. New members. New ideas. New threads. But, like I said, I'm newish myself and don't yet know all the forum's rules or take on this sort of thing. What you guys say makes sense. It's just kind of weird to feel like I'm just now answering a question someone asked years ago.

8. Scot

Scot Senior Member

I wonder who'll resurrect this thread in 18 months time? :)

Tenderiser likes this.
  9. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

You might not find it interesting, but perhaps they find the topic incredibly interesting to them and they can't wait to have a say?

On a side note, resurrection or re-posting already discussed threads/topics has never bothered me. Maybe so if it's just a spam, but in general, I don't mind them. If anything, it lets me know that at least people at still interested.

10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It only bugs me when they ressurect dead threads posting silly shit not related to the topic - thats troll/numpty behaviour aimed at increasing post count to get permissions and/or starting trouble

if they are actually engaging with the thread it doesnt matter if its 10 years old (although there is limited point in offering crit on very old crit threads as the writer will have moved on)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Necronox likes this.