1. DK3654

DK3654 Active Member

DK3654's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by DK3654, Sep 12, 2018.

Alright, I think it's time I should make a progress journal following my WIP story + maybe other future projects.

The story I am tentatively calling FORESHADOW (I am also considering the name Everyday Demons, either as a name for the series or as the subtitle of the first book). It's an hidden world type of urban fantasy, aimed mainly at the younger end of the adult range, and set in modern day UK in and around the London area. The basic plotline follows a group of different supernaturally affected people who end up in the employ of one of the big political players in the occult world, and they spend time either working to help resolve occult political problems as well as their personal issues.

Overview (blurb style)
    Sarah Pierce is an accomplished psychology student trying to earn her place in the world. But when her under-control bipolar disorder develops strange and intense new symptoms, things take a turn for the worse. Sarah stumbles into a very different side of the world, where the supernatural melds with the mundane, and must find her place in this busy society. Everyone has issues, and she needs to learn how to play by the rules- with some help from new, unusual companions. But she just has to get herself caught in a deadly power struggle, as the reigning powers play a dangerous game. Sarah and her companions are faced with occult forces as dangerous as they are seductive, and they must learn how to control their own powers if they are going to make it through this.

Main Themes (in rough order)
    • The Nature of Identity: What determines it, how does it change over time, what aspects are most important
    • Morality and Purpose: Absolute vs practical morality, meaning in life, religion and spirituality
    • Social Role and Perception: How people fit into society, how social perception affects us, individuality vs conformity

This story is something that I would like to write several books for, but we'll see how we go before I commit to any number.

Where I Am Now
    • Complete first draft of the first chapter (5,700 words)
    • Beginnings of the next chapter
    • Many plotlines, scenes and characters developed/planned (more or less)

Threads About This Story
    Draft Excerpts:
    Character/Plot/Setting Development:
    Research Questions:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018 at 2:32 AM
  2. DK3654

DK3654 Active Member

It's time to set some progress goals.
    1. Complete first draft of second chapter by October 4th, with at least 4,600 words to fit with the first chapter (unless I shorten the first chapter).
    2. Complete a revision pass of chapter 1, by September 23rd. Key changes in consideration here are lowering the number of perspective shifts, upgrading relatively less interesting details in the mundane second half, and changing the job scene to be a more practical position for the character.

3. DK3654

DK3654 Active Member

Anyone here interested in answering a quick question?

So my story starts with a prologue-esque sequence that is set before the main plotline, and doesn't feature the main protagonist, but does feature other major protagonists and leads fairly directly onto the main plotline. As part of that sequence, I have several perspective shifts.

It starts with a throw-away character, setting the scene and slowly bringing us in to the action. (1008 words)
    We switch then to one of the major protagonists' perspective, Ashling, within the same larger scene, who is accompanied by two other major protagonists. (370 words)
    Then we move scenes and perspectives to Jade, another major protagonist. (1818 words)
    The major protagonist's from the first scene then show up, and we switch to another major protagonists' perspective- Alex. This sequence then ends. (391 words)
    The main plotline starts as we skip forward a number of days, and we switch now finally to the main protagonist, with whom we stay until the end of the chapter.

Is this too many perspective shifts? Would it be better if the section using Alex's perspective was instead another section using Ashling's perspective to reduce the number of different perspectives, at least?
    Relevantly, all of these major protagonists I want to make a number of sections with their perspectives throughout the book- though of course, the main protagonist will have the most by a good deal. As a result, I do like sharing the perspective around a little to begin with rather than waiting too long, especially when there are more characters we will have to wait for.

4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Member

We don't know but you do.

1. Forget everything about what you want.
    2. Think about your premise.
    3. Think about the promise of the premise.
    4. Then think about the theme of of your story. Not plot, but theme.
    5. Then ask yourself this: "Does the story get better via these perspective shifts?"

6. Your answer to yourself is the right answer to your question.

Story trumps all rules.

5. DK3654

DK3654 Active Member

UPDATE

Goals
    1. 1,500 words of the second chapter.
    2. Just about finished revision of first chapter. Only looking at practicality of the job scene.