Tags:
  1. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

File formats for Cds???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SonnehLee, Dec 19, 2008.

Okay, so I'm trying burn a cd for a friend. But. Whenever I go to burn cd's, somehow or another, the wonderful program known as iTunes makes me a cd with 19 blank tracks. Seriously, it will play for the exact duration of the song, but nothing will come out of the speakers (yes, i checked the volume and made sure it wasn't on mute) It does the same thing with all of my stereos.

Occassionally, one or two of the tracks will play. I assume this a file format problem, since it plays in itunes, but can anyway tell me what format I can have the songs in for it to work?

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

It's not a format problem. iTune's uses MP3 files and that's the most generic sound file format there is (and it's probably the one you'll want to use for a CD as well). More likely, there is a problem writing the files to the disc. It could be your burner, or it might just be an in transition coding problem. I highly doubt it's a file format problem. The fact the tracks will play for the entire length of the song with no sound is odd, but I'd be willing to be it's more of a transfer or data error than something format related.

Sorry to ask so many of what may seem like obvious or stupid questions I'm just running through it all in my head as I type.

Also, check the CD. Not all computers do it, but some require you to first write data to the CD and then save it. Now writing the data, that puts it on the CD, but if you don't save it the data is easily damaged and may not work right. This may or may not be something you need to check. It varies by the computer and burner.

I'm not an expert on file formats sadly so that's probably the most help I can give. I'm sure there are some FAQ's somewhere on the net you could probably find helpful.

3. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I thought that regular CDs, played on a regular CD player like a Discman, used files in WAV format, not MP3. At least, there are lots of MP3/WAV converter programs out there so one can burn their MP3 songs to a CD they can listen to in a regular (i. e., non-MP3) player. *confused*

I could be wrong though since I've never used an MP3 player in my life, and use only regular CDs, but that's how I understood it. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, I guess.

4. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

@tehuti88: I haven't seen a wav-only CD player in years. Most CD players will play MP3 tracks, which is awesome if you wanna backup 4 gigs of music and don't want to backup only 17~ songs by CD.

5. rory

rory Active Member

Maybe it's iTunes itself, it's got a lot of nifty little bugs. Not. I'm about ready to scrap the whole program from my computer.

Is it possible to try burning it from a different program?

6. SonnehLee

I've tried going through windows media too, and it did the same thing.

7. rory

rory Active Member

Hmm. I'm no computer whiz, but if it was me, I'd try a different computer, to rule out whether or not it's the burner, as lordofhats suggested. Stick the songs on a memory stick and commandeer a friends computer for a while.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

8. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

That happened to me and I just re-burned it, and changed the stereo I was playing on it and it worked.

9. SonnehLee

was it a cdr? or cdrw?

10. tarnished

I always use cdr

11. SonnehLee

okay! I'll see if it works. A friend suggested that I make sure none of the files were in
    .mp4 format so, I'm gonna give it a shot!

12. tarnished

Good luck! :D

13. SonnehLee

So. Apparently my computer isn't capable of burning cds. So I have to move it to the laptop the state provided to my mom! I'll need all the luck I can get.

14. tarnished

Ugh thats a drag. Well I hope it works out. Ill cross my fingers for you.

15. SonnehLee

Sheila is a little old. But I love her. (sheila = my laptop)

16. rory

rory Active Member

I think CDR can only be used once, whereas a CDRW is rewritable.
    Of course I may not know what I'm talking about at all. I've used both before, and found CDRW to be a bit finiky, not working exactly like I'd like them to, but maybe that's just me imagining how they should work and therefore being disapointed ;)

17. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

You could try using Nero, and make sure you have the right type of disc, I personally use CD-Rs

18. Montag

Montag New Member

I normally use Windows media player 10 for burining CDs, and I don't have itunes, but I thought itunes songs had some kind of DRM protection on them.

Ah yes, found it:
    I don't know if this is the case with your problem, but it sounds like it might be. I wouldn't use itunes if they paid me to, all my music is pirated. At least with pirated music you can do whatever you like with it. Even after buying music from apple, you aren't allowed to do certain things with it.

19. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    go find a different burning program. there a quite a few free ones