Tags:
  1. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Looking for a Beta for a SF/F Novel

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by J.T. Woody, Aug 26, 2020.

Hello!
    Would anyone be interested in being a beta reader for me? It is not "hard" Science Fiction and leans more toward Fantasy.
    This is my 2nd Draft. I am looking for general feedback (plot, inconsistencies, clarity, suggestions, readability) so that I will have a targeted approach to Draft 3.
    I also don't have a title yet:bigoops:

Blurb:

Not all that is lost can be found…

Roaming the deserts of Diadasos, Olun has always believed her path clear: to hold on tightly to her family and the traditions of the dwindling nomadic clans, to live, love, and die in the desert as her ancestors did before her. She never expected the spirits to have other plans for her. When Olun finds herself standing beside a mysterious and terrifying man in the isolated mountain village of the north, her faith in the spirits waver for the first time in her life.

Plagued by pain both mental and physical, Didan sinks deeper and deeper into darkness. For him, there is no other path except the ones lined with agony. Forsaking the company of others, Didan wanders the mountains in solitude and quiet contemplation. However, being attuned to the spirits in ways that no others can comprehend, Didan knows that when the spirits speak, he must listen.

As her path intertwines with Didan’s, Olun must solve the riddle of life and suffering before she is lost in the darkness forever.​

Word count: 129,721

(I am willing to read for someone else too! I'll read pretty much anything except erotica and real world politics.....not that I have anything against politics, but I didn't pay much attention to Government and Politics in school to understand half of whats going on today, so I don't think I'd be much help with THAT theme :agreed:)

Rzero likes this.
  2. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

PM me and ill happily browse over it and look out for the stuff you want, JT!

J.T. Woody likes this.
  3. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

I'm interested but for me, the blurb is unconvincing. It sounds like the novel will be a tedious account of a two people believing in spirits and wandering about.

Do they fall in love and are torn apart by tribal traditions? Do they need to re-evaluate their beliefs and cultural identities to overcome their cultural barriers so they can be together? Or is it something completely different? Tell me what the novel is really about and persuade me to read it.

P.S. I doubt the people in charge of our countries paid much attention to Government and Politics in school either.

4. J.T. Woody

Isn't this the point of a blurb, though? To get people curious about these things and wanting to find out more?:superconfused:

Steve Rivers likes this.
  5. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

Yes, indeed it is. The idea of people wandering about isn't much of a hook. The details you give seem more harrowing than anything. What sort of issues are they facing? What kind of obsolesces do they need to overcome? I might be interested in finding out how and if they achieve their goals if I knew something of what their goals are.

6. J.T. Woody

Ah. I will tweak it a bit more a bit later.
    In terms of goals... On the surface, Olun wants to return to her clan, despite the spirits telling her that no matter what paths she takes, she will always end up in the mountains like she is supposed to be.
    She rebels against this, and because she doesnt want to be there, she essentially isolates herself from the people in the village, and totally against assimilating into the village.
    Her goal of leaving changes and becomes more family oriented... Protecting the villagers of whom she now views as her family.

7. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I'm fine with beta reading. How many beta readers do you want? If you're going with all who have volunteered (me included) you'll have three. Is that too many? Just right? Not enough?

Anyways....your book. You choose.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  8. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

How about just a reader? I will simply read your story, give you my impression, and discuss by any measure within my (admittedly limited) capacity. :)

J.T. Woody likes this.
  9. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I can beta. Have experience doing it in the past for a number of people as well. I'm fairly consistent in getting through chapters and provide a lot of feedback. I use Microsoft word primarily because I can make nicely organized comments for the chapters. I can generally review 2-4 chapters per week, but sometimes can burn through more. Just send a PM if you still need a few more, though it does look like you have a few already.

J.T. Woody likes this.