1. mercy

mercy New Member

Where can I find...

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by mercy, Jan 13, 2008.

Does anyone out there know where I can find a detailed list of dissected sentences? I searched the net with no luck.

Thanks

2. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I found a site with three examples, but I'm sure you already found it considering it was in a Google search. Here's the link.

3. mercy

mercy New Member

Thanks for the link.
    I'm really looking for a long list of sentences that are broke down into the parts of speech.

4. mercy

mercy New Member

Ah Ha! I should have searched under sentence diagrams. This is a nice link for anyone who is interested.

Diagramming Sentences

5. dwspig2

dwspig2 New Member

Not to sound like a prick, but why do you want to diagram sentences? There really isn't much practical reason for doing so.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It all depends on to what degree you wish to be a seat-of-the-pants writer, I believe there is real value in understanding the full anatomy of a sentence.

For one thing, it illuminates grammatical ambiguity.

7. mercy

mercy New Member

No, you don't sound like a prick. It's ok. I just want to have a full understanding of what's what inside a sentence. If you read the functions of the parts of speech, it seems that the next step is to look at them in use. For example, You may read, "An adverb modifies a verb, adjective, or adverb." To see it applied in a sentence and see its relationship with the other words in the sentence makes it very clear.

Exactly

Also, I am hoping that diagramming sentences can help me understand how my favorite writers create different styles. If I can break down their sentences, I may be able to find a pattern in the way they are arranged. Then I can apply it to my own writing.

That's all.

8. dwspig2

dwspig2 New Member

I guess I always found it superfluous because I could understand what going on in the sentence without having to break it down into some tree-shaped mess. To me, that conglomeration is more confusing that simply trying to figure out what's going on in the sentence as it is.

That said, I think this evening I'm going to have the man that I tutor in Latin diagram the exercise sentences. He doesn't understand how nouns interact with verbs anymore than he knows how prepositions interact with their objects. For people like that, I can see that diagramming would begin the steps toward understanding, but once you do understand what's going on, I don't see the real practicality of it. That could just be me though.