Do the Ideas come automatically?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Darkcula, Sep 13, 2014.

1. khawlaazwar

khawlaazwar New Member

There is no doubt about that ideas come naturally. When you have interest it, when you have some knowledge about something, when you have the words to describe it then you do not have to think much about the expression.

Many people put too much efforts, they call it hardwork. But, when you love something, when you have passion for something, anything rest become useless. And, every effort become very motivating by itself. '

So, for me ideas comes naturally (automatically), but there must be your engines of creativity running on the right track. And, you must have knowledge to control and manipulate every idea that click in your mind.

Study, knowledge, research are just bringing engine on the track, Once it's on track your mind will automatically start to work in very right direction.

I think, what I've learned. I might be right or wrong for you. But this what I believe.

elynne likes this.
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Beautifully said. It's all about 'how did this happen' and 'what happens next'. There's a quest in Riften where you help a Dunmer who was raised from infancy by Argonians discover his true heritage. Just one NPC with a basic 'retrieve this item for me' quest, and his backstory could fill an entire fan fiction. How did a Dunmer come to be raised by Argonians? How did he feel about it, considering his kind and the Argonians had been hostile to each other for centuries? How did his Argonian parents feel about raising a member of the race that once enslaved the Argonian race? Were his parents rejected by their peers? Did he ever have friends? Again, this isn't even the main character, yet just by asking 'how' and 'why', you can literally write up an entire fan-fiction about an NPC who is just a merchant in Riften.

Less 'what shall I write about' and more 'why did this happen?'/'how did this happen?'/'what will happen next?' Play it out like a mystery. Even if the story itself isn't a mystery story (with detectives, clues, etc.), the overall plot is unknown to the readers (hence, a mystery) so if you make it interesting enough, the readers will want to continue reading.

elynne likes this.