Do we control our phones, or vice versa?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Komposten, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Put your phone in your pocket, on silent without vibration.
    Don't you dare touch that thing until we leave, 3 hours from now!

I don't care if it is your boss or sister or whatever. Either they don't need to be able reach you 24/7 (aka your boss*) or they should know you are out (aka your sister). They're not going to die if you don't answer, or how did we survive before the mobile phone era?

*For some occupations you obviously need to be available at all times, like a doctor who might get called in, so those don't count (if it is their boss/work calling).

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

True, I'd prefer no interruption like that but I always the best in people.
    If they pick up the phone, I assume it's because it couldn't wait and they'd talk less than 5 minutes.
    Or preferably a quick hello but I'm busy and will call you back.

But some people think its okay to check it constantly and answer just anyone instead of spending time with their company.

3. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I was reminded again only yesterday how little volume control some people have when speaking on their mobile phone. Even less so perhaps when they are speaking rubbish.

I like my mobile. 98% of the time I use it to browse the web during my long commute. I'm not big on texting or even calling people. Now and then or if needed is enough for me. Useful to have though.