?

Do you draw?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2009.
  1. I draw well enough to have considered it as a profession.

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. I draw well enough for my personal entertainment.

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. I don't think I draw terribly.

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. I'm not very good at drawing.

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. I draw so poorly, pencils run away from me in fear.

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Do you draw?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Nov 5, 2009.

All through my school years, at many different schools (military brat) there was always one kid who seemed to have the magic hands.

You know the kid I'm talking about.

Doodles on every scrap of anything.

Awesome, one of a kind customized folders with myriad different creatures and people festooning the front and back cover.

I was always in awe of these kids for I could not draw my way out of a wet paper bag if it came with instructions.

When I was younger, my best friend was a draw guy and he had drawn and painted amazing renditions of Disney characters on his bedroom walls. When his family moved from the house, the buyers not only asked him to leave the paintings, but payed him to do an entire mural in one of the other bedrooms that would be for a young daughter.

Are you a draw person?

2. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Yes yes yes DEFINATELY.

I leave no page undoodled. I'm constantly doodling crap all over my notebooks, and always have done. My hand just seems to come alive, the pen starts moving, and before I know it - I no longer have a clean page of notes. It's all covered in stupid doodles.

The other day I was into drawing spaceships and aliens in every corner, and before that it was psychotic mice. Don't ask why, hah. I honestly don't know.

I really love to draw cartoons. It's probably because I have a very poor attention span....which isn't good, hah.

I wouldn't say I'm a particularly good cartoonist...but I enjoy it none the less.

3. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I would like to learn how to draw, but I never knew where to start... I'm still 15, though, and if anyone can tell me how to improve I'd appreciate it. :)

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

No. Pencils run away from me, screaming. Pens love me, but that's because I write beautifully (nice handwriting, not always the nicest things ;)) with them, not draw.

5. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Mine isn't on there. So "I doodle, I'm really bad at it, but it keeps me entertained."

6. Gigi_GNR

I doodle, but mostly my "potato-fetching dog" (looong story, inside joke ;))

7. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I used to draw ALL THE TIME when I was little, (mostly dinosaurs and animals)
    but I gradually stopped as my interests developed elsewhere.

I can still draw, I'm just not awesome.

8. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Sadly, I had to choose the last option.

Sadly, because I always wished to draw but I never learned, and that's a pity because when I write I'm trying to describe what I see. If could draw everything will be easier.

9. Gigi_GNR

We all know your awesome drawing skills!!! :)

*envy*

10. arron89

arron89 Banned

I can draw decently if I'm really trying, mostly sketches for paintings and things (I paint better than I draw), but if I'm playing Pictionary or something that requires you to draw really quickly without thinking about it, I revert to stick figures and extremely poorly rendered animals/objects. So I don't think I draw terribly, but I certainly would never consider them professional quality.

11. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

I draw, I doodle, I cartoon. I got A's in all the art classes I took in high school and college. Don't know if that means anything or not. I have a TON of hobbies and haven't back to drawing in a while. Mostly I just doodle during D&D sessions

12. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

I've managed to fool quite a bit of people into thinking I can draw decently. Mainly I just sketch things in History to avoid listening to the teacher (somehow I still have an A in that class despite the fact you can't see the margins on my papers, they're so drawn-over). But maybe I'll get around to posting my current piece one of these days.

13. Ashleigh

That means you're good ;) You're certainly artistic; I love your photography.

I love to draw but i'm terrible at painting...seriously. I'd love to be able to master painting one day, but I don't seem to have the patience for it, hah.

14. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

This is mostly a drawing, but is colored with watercolor. I messed up on the whole dragon area so I never tried to sell it.
    .[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

I'm changing my vote. I think as I speak my pencils are edging closer to the edge of my desk.

16. Ashleigh

:eek: wow! That looks wonderful, I love it!

sendtomeforfreepleazkthanks?

I wish I could paint :( you even got the shadows in there and everything....

17. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Dragon Grim, that is quite impressive, framed and all.

I used to be quite good back in junior high, I was even thinking of going to an art high school and really pursue something art based, but then I didn't. Now I am a shadow of my youthful self, well in terms of drawing anyway.

Once again, very nice.

18. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Thanks all, but you have to admit it’s a little sloppy around the dragon

19. Ashleigh

I don't think so? Looks good all over. Anyway, don't be picky; it's a cool painting.

20. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Never a harsher critic than one's self.

21. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

DragonGrim, I will knock Ashleigh over for that painting! :) Watercolour is so hard to work with, and that painting is just gorgeous!

I am a fairly good painter, but I could never, never draw. I think it's because with paint, it's a lot easier to just paint over instead of erasing (I would erase so much that I'd tear a hole through the paper), and because with paint you can get a texture and line that you could never get with drawing. I guess in my perspective it's just easier.

But draw? Pencils really do run in fear. I dont even hold a pencil correctly, and no one can ever read my handwriting.

22. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I've had a watercolor cartoon published and a pastel still life sold at an art show. My mother was a professional artist who worked on consignment decorating mansions with art themes. I'll never forget a set of 10 oil paintings for a home in Beverly Hills. The theme was ornate carousel horses. She went all over the country taking pictures of merry-go-rounds and produced the works in about a year (for $30,000...a lot of money back in the 70's!) Some of her artwork was collected by the Dean of Art at the University of Southern California for his personal collection. I got so discouraged when I compared my beginner artwork with her great paintings and sketches that I quit drawing. She was disappointed but I explained to her that it was never a passion for me like writing and pro bass fishing have been. If I was to return to art, I would probably do pastel chalks again.

23. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

DragonGrim that's a great watercolour. Watercolours are beautiful.

I can draw, if I try hard enough ... which is rarely ever. I lack the patience drawing requires. I prefer painting.

24. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

I love to draw, and I am almost as good at it as my beloved Leafs are at hockey, which is to say the worst in the world. Despite my failure to draw anything that looks... like anything other than a squiggly line next to another even more squiggly line, I find it quite enjoyable. I love to draw 'abstract' pieces, and make up ridiculous explanations for what everything means. Most of my pieces are of course in pen, but the finest are in crayon. A single crayon. I have dubbed my style monocraymatic.

Being an artsy creative type, I've always had friends that are gifted artists. They seem incredulous at my work, while I'm amazed at even what they dismiss as poor work. On that note, I'll chime in with appreciation for DragonGrim's painting.

25. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

I would consider it for a profession, as I've been making a living from drawing the last 11 years. I started out working for Disney's comics for a couple of years and then moved into advertisement just so that I could get to work with more varying styles. The last 5 years or so, I've been working as an independent contractor, doing illustrations for mainly advertisement. This leaves me plenty enough time to focus on my own projects, which is what has always driven me as an artist -- I'm currently working on a graphic novel project that I'm also writing.

I still have a couple of my old public school books somewhere... They're filled with drawings on every page. I somehow always got away with not doing my proper homework.