Do you find the world boring?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Acglaphotis, Aug 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That kind of amped out thrill junkie would quickly drive me gibbidee-gibbidee-gibbidee- nuts. I like -- no, need -- to stop and notice the fine details.

My neighbor stepped out of his car yesterday just before dusk, and saw me staring up at the sky. He asked what I was looking at.

"Oh nothing," I said. "I'm just waiting to see what kind of sunset we're getting today."

As busy as I am, I really need those moments of quiet contemplation, just soaking it all in.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Just to give you an example of how un-satisfiable this guy was…

Where I lived in Melbourne FL, there are two causeways that link the mainland with Merritt Island. They span a very wide expanse of water that is called the Indian River Lagoon, or the Banana River depending on where you live. There is a catwalk that stretches half the distance under the Eau Gallie Causeway. You can walk all the way out to the middle of the lagoon on the catwalk, and if you are spunky, you can climb down from the catwalk to the foot of one of the immense pylons holding up the even more immense bridge and be right at the water’s edge.

When everything is just right, there are bioluminescent blooms of algae in the lagoon. If you go at night, you can follow, under the surface, the blue/white phantom forms of dolphins as they chase mullet in the water and leave spectacular streaks of bioluminescence behind them. It’s like watching ghosts dance.

It is amazingly beautiful.

I took him to see it. We were there for five minutes and he says, “Big whoop, so there’s dolphins. I’m out.”

3. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I won't believe a word until I see some pictures, Wrey.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why shouldn't i have believed that?... it's what titles are supposed to do, isn't it?...

sorry to be blunt, but you're not interesting enough, or wrong enough, for me to be angry at you... i'd have to care about what you are and do and say, to get angry at you doing something i felt wasn't appropriate... that's the only reason i get angry at anyone... 'annoyed' might be close, but even that in merely a minor way...

'pity' is the most relevant word here, i guess... i think anyone should be pitied for not finding anything in this world worth 'holding' their interest... indicates a lack of emotional depth that is, as the old song went, 'more to be pitied than scorned'...

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You'll have to take it on faith. Or better yet, take a vacation to Central Florida. Melbourne is a great little town. Ask for the Eau Gallie Causeway. Folks are friendly there; they'll show you the way.

Eau Gallie Causeway

6. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

You know what motivates me when everything is plain and ordinary?

The ocean...the moon on a clear night...a blossoming tree...my neighbors garden early in the morning...a child's laughter...the feel of soft grass under my bare feet...hues of orange and pink light draped across the sky at sunset.

It is true, life can be a bore...but there is so much to find joy in, you only have to look in the right places. ;)

7. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Life can be boring thats for sure, but there are so many simple and wonderfult higns in the world that make it interesting and well, not boring. I totally agree with Chimmy on this

8. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Whenever I get bored and it happens often, I wait to see what will happen tomorrow. If tomorrow is boring, I will go out and do something that may be more interesting. If that is still boring, I will at the earliest possible time leave. There are a lot of things to see, and a lot of people to meet out there. Just have to find them, and if you are lucky the journey is the funnest part and doesn't have to end. Just remember to pull over every once in a while to stop and watch a sunrise.

9. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Well, not really. The title of the text just provides insight about what the text is about, not summarize it nor provide the conclusion... I was trying to point out that even though the world is boring from certain viewpoints, it is the only I'd choose if I had the chance.
    Well, if you re-read my previous posts you'll find that there are an infinity of things that hold my interests. One of them happen to be intelligent discussions about interesting subjects and that's what I'm trying to do here with everybody. But maybe I do have a lack of emotional depth...But that just goes into the boring bin, now, doesn't it?

Wrey: That's just mean, teasing us with that description and then not having any photos : p.

10. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Sorry Acglaphotis, I don't mean to be an ass. I just am stating a personal opinion. It was not at all an attack on you, but more so an opinion on what you were saying. I can tell from your avatar that you aren't a dull person.

11. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

@ValianceInEnd: Thanks. I know you meant no offense, don't worry about it.

@ChimmyBear: Most things you describe are inspiring. When I'm bored, either I get out or do any of the things I mentioned. Or both for that matter. Possibilities for eradicating boredom are endless. That's why I said in my first post that this would be the optimal reality to be in. Glad we all agree on that :D.

12. ChimmyBear

You know Acglaphotis...it seems like, at times, we are nothing but uninspired. The day to day can become tedious and the news is gloomy at best.
    I understand your feelings, I do. Hmmm...I guess that is where I responded from. For over six months my life was nothing but a void. I couldn't seem to find anything worthy of my interest...but I realized I was looking in the wrong places. There are times when I simply have to go out of my way to find my passions and inspirations.

This is a good thread for thought. :)

13. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I'm glad it's fulfilling it's purpose. : )

14. Frost

Frost Active Member

If your bored your not trying hard enough to be honest.

Go out and travel. Step outside your comfort zone and then stay there. Then live wont be boring.

15. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

What do you mean by honest? About traveling: we already discussed that in the last few pages.

16. Frost

Frost Active Member

I dont know its just something I say. It doesnt mean anything really, to be honest :p

Sorry about that I just read them. I was on the fly before that and said the obvious.

17. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I like going for a drive through the city and just taking random turns. It's fun the places you can find that way.

18. ChimmyBear

You know...I must say, I recently discovered another reason to find the world fascinating. I took a chance and said, "Hello"...hmmm...it is turning out to be quite captivating. :)

19. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Hey, what a coincidence. I decided to try that today, and it turned out really good. Congratulations to you too. :)

20. ChimmyBear

I am happy for you too, CDRW...here's to chances taken! *raises glass*

21. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I've read quite a few of the post for this thread and my mind truly boggles... I think in a few cases people are taking for granted the fact that they've had the privilege of travelling and seeing new cultures, some people don't get that chance.

Also, not maliciously I'm just curious, how many people that posted on this thread are in full time education or fully time employment or at uni or college or retired?

I'm in the office every day at 8.30 and out at 5 - that's boring. 5 weeks a year for holiday stretched to spend time with two families (as my folks are divorced) is borderline ridiculous. I can bearly squeeze swimming or squash or games or the cinema into the pathetic amount of time left to me after the drive home and dinner. I want to see the north pole and australlia and canada and see the pyramids and visit the inca ruins and go to thailand - but I just don't have the time or the money - so while you do have the chance to get out there and see the world (and not have to be up at 6.50am the next day,) get out there and do it, and don't brush it off as boring, because work is boring and you'll be doing that for many many years to come.

Sorry for the mini rant, I guess my old age is getting to me!!! :)

22. FlakeandFins

FlakeandFins New Member

If you find life boring or predictable, you're looking in all the wrong places or aren't looking at all.

I suggest one start by viewing the Discovery channel.

23. Cogito

Or turn off the TV, put on hiking boots or good walking shoes, and take a walk outside. City or desert or forest, take a good look at everything around you. Look at the play of light and shadow, look at the people or the wildlife, look at the patterns made by rust stains or patches of moss, just look at it all with different eyes than you usually use.

It might even give you ideas for writing!

24. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Yeah, I think I kinda took that position.

Full-time education.

25. Cogito

I work full time, and am chained to the paycheck.

In my opinion, boredom is largely a choice. Unless you are locked in a bare 8x8 cell, and cannot dee or hear anything beyond those walls, exploring the world can be as simple and affordable as taking a walk outside.

Granted, there are those for whom that is also not an option. I have been in the hospital (rarely and briefly!) and yes, that is boring.