Do you have a super power?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jul 10, 2013.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

[MENTION=53329]T.Trian[/MENTION]: that kind of supreme talent is a freak of nature. Think Ussain Bolt and Novak Djokovic (currently, but all top sport is full of similar examples). Underprivileged, from small countries, and look what they can do. Bolt eats chicken nuggets and gets stoned all year round and Nole is pretty lazy and suffers with celiac disease and allergic asthma (but he has most holidays out of any top ranking tennis player, and every time he loses, his entire country sighs in unison) and yet, they either can't be beaten or are, occasionally, with enormous difficulty. It seems so unfair, but that's the natural talent. Like my friend in school, who in first grade could draw a human hand completely realistically. Freak :D

2. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

That's what I was afraid of. I'm so jealous of those people, especially since most of the guys like that I went to school with threw away their talents, either just giving up sports altogether, or drowning their rising stars in booze and drugs.

3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Many kids are super flexible, athletic, agile, quick, and can do all kinds of crazy gymnastic stuff around the age of 10 or so. I remember there were many of us in my circle of friends. None of us ever broke our bones even though we fell off horses and climbing-walls, trees, and bars or tripped on fences when we tried to jump over them. But I've noticed that with age it's difficult to keep up this agility. When I went to the parkour gym, it was like being thrown back to childhood, but I noticed that the jumps, moves, and climbs didn't come as effortlessly as they used to and my muscles were sore afterwards. Aging sucks in that regard :p

On the other hand, I never "grasped" the proper breaststroke and freestyle as a kid. I only learned the techniques as an adult.

I don't know, but this "natural athleticism" probably has got something to do with heritage. Some can control their bodies better than others without putting a lot of effort in it. When they think of a certain move, they can make their bodies replicate the thought uncannily well. It also seems that parents with a sports background (especially if they competed) often have children who share the same "gift."

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

First you said talent was no big deal, now you're saying it is... I don't know what to believe anymore!!!!!

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Oh, I still believe talent will only get you off to a good start, but it seems some people are more predisposed to certain things. For instance, if I was really into baseball and practiced throwing and catching a lot, I would become good at those skills, but since I've little interest in it, I've never put in the effort, so since I don't even have the talent, I suck at both skills. But that's one talent I would've liked to have or, better yet, to have a naturally good sense of co-ordination so I wouldn't have needed to work so hard on stuff like the forward roll / ukemi.

6. T.Trian

Year, erm, that was actually me, not KaTrian. I just hadn't realized she had logged in and accidentally posted as her. This is what happens when two people use the same computer...

7. Annaberru

Annaberru Member

I don't know if I would call it a superpower, but... My family has a lot of cats. And EVERY time I dream about one of them, that specific one dies within two weeks. So I guess I'm able to predict pet-deaths or something.

Also, I can somehow always tell when a woman is pregnant, even when she's not showing.
    I also used to have an amazing gaydar, but after the hipster-fashion rolled in, it's been completely thrown off :p

8. Rimuel

Rimuel New Member

I wonder....perhaps in the azure blue sky.
    [MENTION=53329]T.Trian[/MENTION]:

Is predisposition not a talent?

I have a superpower that makes me capable of being lazy and unmotivated towards most things in life.

Also, once in awhile when I need to wake up early, I would tell myself that I want to wake up at a certain time, and it would happen 5-30 minutes before the appointed time, even though I usually have to readjust for a few days to wake up early.

9. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I found my superpower. When I hate this world, I can create my own that I control completely. I didn't fully appreciate that until last night when I felt particularly hateful toward the world and I needed that refuge more than ever.

10. T.Trian

Suppose it could be seen as such, depends on the semantics of it all.

11. Cydramech

Cydramech Member

My superpower is not needing to have any superpowers to do the cool shit I do in fact do. :p

12. Michael O

Michael O Member

I can fart Dixie...Does that count?

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

If it's on command, hell yeah! :D

14. Michael O

Michael O Member

On command?...You damn right! I'm old, love beans and beer. I'm like a one record jute-box someone puts a thousand dollars into everyday. Just didn't let a musical talent go to waste.

Just kidding...But only halfway. It's the hand in the armpit fart but no shit! I've got Dixie down pat, at least most of the notes. Wife and son's tell me I should put it on U-Tube. Right. Just how I always wanted to be known. Maybe I could put a bag over my head and perform as the unknown farter. Shit! I'm not that much of a common bastard even when I'm drunk. Can I receive violation here for typing drunk? A TUI.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I certainly hope not! Although fecal punctuation is often the downfall of would-be virtuosos of flatus concertos.

16. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am the sound board of my friends problems. I suppose I am just a good support person when you got some heavy shit to get off your mind. I have heard some scary shit, and I can't unhear it. Nothing like playing therapist I suppose. :p