1. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Benefits to Waiting?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by ToBeInspired, Jun 1, 2016.

I have two series I'm currently working on.

My first series has complete plot outlines for the first five novels. The 6th has more flexibility so I've yet to decide on anything for certain. I have another two books planned out slightly and have ambitions to continue in one fashion or another.

The next series has two books basically written, but I'm conflicted on an issue. I put this series on the back burner, while I work on the other one, but I could easily stretch or end the series as I see fit.

My current goal is to finish world building for the first eight books of my series. That means detailed character analysis, defined infrastructure, etc.

Before I release any books or attempt to be published I want to finish 3/8 books in my first series (4th book is my favorite, so wish to spend time on it) and 2/X of my other series.

Why?

By having multiple books already completed I can space out the release dates. I'll have five novels, for comparison, to provide to beta-readers and myself. Less mistakes, more linear plot, and a better overall review.

I also feel that publishers would view an author with multiple works completed with a touch more professional respect. After all part of the risk for a publisher is investing in an author who may not continue what was expected of them.

So what do all of you think? Are there reasons to not be patient? I'm not in any rush. I'd rather make sure that everything I produced was done to the best of my ability before release. No editorial issues for this guy.

I'm also wondering if it would just be better to self-publish. Some of the benefits of traditional publishing seem mitigated by my willingness to do the work myself. I know how to market, I have no issue editing, I have access to a large quantity of beta-readers, etc.

Also, opinions of spacing out release dates and having multiple series running at the same?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'm not quite clear - have you finished writing a single book, yet?

Do you have any other writing experience? Like, have you completed other novels?

I think there are definitely advantages to having an entire series completed before you start publishing them. It's great to be able to go back to the start and change things, it's easier to schedule release dates nice and close forever, etc.

The risk, though, is that you'll spend a LOT of time on a series that won't sell. This risk is somewhat mitigated by your willingness to self-publish, but I think you need to be really clear on what your goals are for the exercise. If you want to find an audience and make money, you may need to be a bit flexible, even to the point of abandoning a series if nobody want to read it. Not really an option if you've already written the whole thing!

So, ask yourself - is the writing itself the most important part of it? Do I want to write this story for its own sake, regardless of whether anyone wants to read it? If so, then I think it definitely makes sense to write the whole series before looking for a publisher or self-publishing.

But if you're looking for an audience? It may be wise to test the waters, first, before dedicating a couple years of your life to a series nobody wants to read.

3. ToBeInspired

No, I have not published any books yet. I have not completed any books yet (still in editing) to my expectations.

I'm not really worried about my series not selling. I do believe that the idea for one of my series is interesting enough to garner sales. However, it's dependent on my skill to bring it to life as a writer. The other series could easily flop. Which is why I'm conflicted with it. It has a potentially touchy subject in it, but I'll figure it out.

No, not writing the whole series first. I want the first three written, edited, and pre-reviewed before being released. I absolutely want to peruse reviews from readers while editing #4. I need to get a sense of how readers feel about characters and their development before making any major decisions.

Even if it flops, I'll be happy I scratched something off my bucket list.

Wasting a few years? I wouldn't say dedicating your time towards a passion to ever be a waste no matter the results. If you had a passion as a dancer but never danced in the NY ballet, you still felt it during the moment.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

What I think is, you've described nine (10?) books there. That's spreading yourself quite thin. If you don't care if they sell or not, why worry about finishing them before publishing?

I would think having one book you were proud of finished would be your best first goal.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    One thing I find that particularly tickles me pink. Is that you the author have a favorite book in the series of books you have yourself created. :superlaugh:

Apparently the first three preceding it are not very riveting, and the ones after it don't sound to be much so either.

Ultimately I am confused. So you think if you just publish a mass of books on your own, that it will somehow gain you favor when you want to find a publisher/agent? I don't think that is how it works, but I don't really know since I have not published anything or had a chat with a publisher/agent. Granted on the positive side you don't have to try and play kiss ass, and pander to publisher/agent.

So forgive me if I do not follow your logic in this regard. Also what is your release plan for your series? Are you going to just drop the first set as individuals all in one go, or are you going to spread them a bit?
    Too many questions you raise, cause it is a complicated premise you bring up.

I am proud of what I have done with my first full length novel, but I have my reserve about how to go about publishing it online. Though as much fun as it would be to rack up a healthy count of rejection letters, I just don't feel it necessary to do so. That and I am bad at pandering to people who are either going to not look at it, or give it a glance and flush it anyway.

6. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Patience isn't a virtue, figuring out how to get more done faster is.

There are no benefits to waiting, everything your sex ed teacher taught you was a lie. Except AIDs, that is very very real.

Lifeline, GingerCoffee and Cave Troll like this.
  7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You must have gone to the same sex ed that I did. And then the pregnant teenagers that cropped up faster than daises. Babies are a very real thing too.:supergrin:

GingerCoffee and Mumble Bee like this.
  8. ToBeInspired

@Cave Troll I don't think you completely understand the relationship between an author and a series of books as opposed to a singular book.

J.K. Rowling's favorite part of her entire series is chapter 34 of Deathly Hallows.

With a series you get to see continual character development from characters you've grown attached to. Have you ever seen the movie Misery?

That exactly explains how I can prefer one book over another. It's about a certain moment of character development. It's everything I had built up previously.

Bit cliche, but relate it to having a child. The birth of the child is wonderful, but so are the first steps. The first words, first day of school, first girlfriend, first car, marriage, house, grand-children.

Now, I had already explained that I was spacing out the books. I did say exactly how, since that decision should be determined closer to the actual release date.

Let me simplify.

My plot involves a unified Artificial Intelligence run world government. It's a science-fiction and there have been technological advancements compared to our modern reality. Due to the A.I. and technological advancement, there are differing societal and economic infrastructures from what we know now. I don't want to go into it, but part of it includes changes made to our educational system.

Virtual reality originated as a combat simulator for pilot fighters. It is currently being adapted for entertainment purposes.

"Virtual reality won't merely replace TV. It will eat it alive."
    - Arthur C. Clarke

A.I. hype started in the 1950s and fell through by the mid 70s. Only as of 2005, due to Canadian researchers, a new process called "Deep Learning" renewed interest in the technology. Google, Uber, and GM Motors have spent billions in research for driverless cars.

So, due to both advancement in A.I. and virtual reality technologies it's actually become the Free Informational Era.

You can get an education an Oxford graduate would be envious to have, free of charge.

Like I've said multiple times before, not just this thread, I'm not really interested in going over my entire plot.

Needless to say, with those two technologies any virtual reality can be simulated. Entire races, cultures, flora, minerals, planets, solar systems, galaxies can be created at whim.

I could have a mention of spacebike races that use blackholes for leaps. I wouldn't, but I could.

Want to see The Beatles live? Sure. Hell, go to Woodstock.

Want to fly around the galaxy as Superman? Go for it.

Want to be God? It's not real, why not?

I won't be focusing on any of those subjects. I will be putting a mention of being able to revisit concerts as an envisioning tool, but it's not part of my story.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I'm not seeing any consistency here. You "...need to get a sense of how readers feel..." before completing No. 4 in your series, which implies that you will change things if the public doesn't like it. But you chiefly want to "...dedicate your time towards a passion..." which should mean you follow your own artistic inspiration, rather than producing what the public demands.

As for "Wasting a few years?" You seem to be replying to what @BayView said, but ignoring that she was referring to an author looking for an audience, rather than the personal satisfaction of having written a novel.