Do you need to world build pre-story?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by deadrats, Oct 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Second to the right, and straight on till morning.
    I don't and that is to say even in situations where my premises seem very complex to others (as presented verbatim to the patient and interested enough souls; many of those complex stories are just in my mind). I believe that whatever detail - be it a fictitious language, a gothic-like architecture, fancy names, a maritime city council gatherings, traditions - will serve just (JUST) the sake of the story. And I try to keep that in mind. It's a handy and salutary way of approaching world-building (for writing!) because it helps you decide on the important details and unimportant (less important) ones. Once I decide what's important and what's not, I'm not weary of going into great, detailed lengths because I know they are there for a reason.

Jason Govender likes this.
  2. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

Good call. I've binged my share of Anderson's lectures too. But it does not have to be you only know as much as the reader; I once had to create in my mind a whole side story to the main one simply to justify the presence of an artifact. Usually what happens is that authors exploit such branch-offs and write another stand alone.

3. Hwaigon

Hwaigon Senior Member

I didn't really answer the question.
    No, I don't. A premise usually pops up in my mind, regardless of how...(dys)functional it may be at first sight. I then fill in the spaces and make
    the whole thing reasonable, believable and authentic.