do you print out your online research?

Discussion in 'Research' started by friendly_meese, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

If I may ask ... do you do that because you love and enjoy doing that ? or in order to achieve total accuracy in locations ?

2. friendly_meese

friendly_meese New Member

Howard,

Don't look down on yourself for "not writing literature." The vast majority of literary magazines today are shoestring operations that either don't pay at all or pay only in author copies. They tend to give snooty preference to writers with MFAs and to publish fiction that strains pretentiously for effect instead of telling a story naturally and fluidly and sometimes managing to be naturally lyrical. I wasted some time buying sample copies of those magazines back when I was thinking of submitting to them but their content makes me barf. Detective/crime/spy fiction is at least honest fiction that tells a story without acting like it's better than everyone else.

3. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Amen!

Writing is hard. Plugging plot holes, making a story work and coming up with characters that work well, is hard so don't ever sell yourself short!

NanashiNoProfile and Howard_B like this.
  4. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

Thanks :) Actually that is the biggest unexpected challenge I have learned about. It's like a logistical operation keeping track of characters, plot lines, time lines. I've been creating a spreadsheet just for that.
    And now I am coming to the end I am finding the process of tying things up much harder than writing the body of the book.

cutecat22 likes this.
  5. cutecat22

Notes are good. I also have family trees for my characters and blank calendars where I note down all the big stuff that happens. I don't always mention the weather but the calendars help me keep track of the seasons and things that have specific timescales to follow.

Howard_B likes this.
  6. NanashiNoProfile

NanashiNoProfile New Member

Sure! I do that first and foremost for inspiration, but it is something that I like to do as well. I find that my favourite ideas come to me while traipsing through places that can seem almost mythical in right weather.

I would say that because I am writing fantasy, accuracy in locations isn't at the top of the list of my reasons for doing so (the sense of place in my mind is quite different), but I do feel like it helps with creating more solid ideas using these places as a starting point. I once spent several hours getting lost in a forest I'd not visited before so that I could put myself in the shoes of a character I was writing that was in a similar situation - scary but fun!

Howard_B likes this.
  7. cutecat22

I'm the same but slightly different in that I will spend hours on google earth, virtually driving (using streetview) through a certain town or city in order to get a feel for a particular location. Especially if the location is in another country. (I've lost count of the number of times I was just a credit card number away from booking a flight somewhere when I was researching flight times and airports!) :eek:

8. NanashiNoProfile

NanashiNoProfile New Member

I've done that through Edinburgh plenty of times!

cutecat22 likes this.
  9. Howard_B

Howard_B Active Member

Maybe I'll be found out when I publish .... but I like just making s*** up :) The google street thing is great though isn't it ?
    I had a scene in my first draft where a prominent character was driving through Paris and was ambushed along the way. I was able to refer to the shops that the lady companion was looking out the window at :)
    And in the final draft there is a shooting outside a hotel in London and I was able to see a convenient laneway a 100 meters down the road. So cool.

NanashiNoProfile and cutecat22 like this.