1. Suzuzu

Suzuzu Member Contest Winner 2023

Do you read linearly?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Suzuzu, Jul 21, 2022.

This is not true all of the time, but sometimes I've noticed that I skip around when I'm reading. And I don't mean I skip around as a way to read faster. It's like an unconscious habit. I even recall doing it when I was a child. For example, I might read the end of a sentence before I read the beginning, which is bizarre but I do do it. I might skip several sentences in a paragraph, read that sentence and then go back and read the other sentences, but I never exit a paragraph. I always stay within paragraphs. This sort of creates a situation where the first and last sentence of a paragraph are the most important, and if they are both completely empty and uninteresting I might just skip the rest of the paragraph. I don't do this with dialogue, just with prose. Again, this is not a conscious thing, it's like in my DNA. It happens to me like an outside event. People write linearly though and they don't expect non-linear readings of what they write. They don't plan for me to do that.

Do you read linearly? Do you always read linearly? Are there any times where you don't?

Lawless and Seven Crowns like this.
  2. Ofaelia

Ofaelia Member

There are times when I am reading, my mind will wander and I'll end up on the next page without a single recollection of what I just "read." I don't know if this is a result of being a millennial or being easily distracted. Sometimes it helps me to read the end of the paragraph to in a way anchor myself. I do try to read linearly when I feel like I'm missing something.

Suzuzu and Seven Crowns like this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Trust me, it isn't just millennials! I'm a tail-end Boomer, and it happens to me, but mostly if my concentration isn't good, like if I'm distracted or getting really tired.

Actually I just remembered—it happens when I let my mind think about something else while my eyes are 'reading'. I let the inner monologue happen at an inappropriate time, and I don't even really notice for a while, until like you say I suddenly realize I haven't comprehended half a page or more.

Other than that though, I think I read linearly. I'll pay attention and see if I can catch myself not.

Ofaelia and Suzuzu like this.
  4. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I really try not to look ahead. My problem is this stop/start problem. I stutter along as I read. It happens with terrible writing because I'm editing in anger as I read, correcting on the fly. It also happens with perfect writing because I'm marveling at great lines and noticing how they fit together. Also, sometimes a character bit or some dialog is so good that I set the book down and just think about its awesomeness. It ruins my page count.

With a middle of the road book, I start thinking of something else related to the story, like a plot I might write based on some line that just went by, and then I read blankly. I know the words go by but they have no meaning. Then I have to back up a paragraph and try again.

Ofaelia, Suzuzu and Xoic like this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I edit my own thoughts as I go. Also when I speak out loud. People think I'm a freak sometimes because I'll say something like "All the cars on the road—vehicles. No, cars works, it originally comes from carriage, something that carries, and that includes people and luggage. Things you lug. So trucks, vans, motorcycles, they can all be called cars. Vehicles is too big and weird of a word."

OK, I don't always go into that much deatil (sometimes though). But I do tend to stop and re-word sometimes. My friend, who's been writing as long as I have, makes fun of me for it. But I get the last laugh because he never got very good—probably because he doesn't care about those pesky little things like editing. I may be a weird talker, but I'm a much better writer. He's the other way 'round.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Yes. I always read linearly. One word after the other just as they are on the page. Always. I enjoy reading. I don't think I would get the same enjoyment skipping words or sentences or phrases. I trust that the writer has put words and sentences where they are supposed to be.

7. ABeaujolais

ABeaujolais Member

People with experience in a language usually do not read linearly. Words are processed by the brain as pictures or graphics. Most people have seen the exercise where letters are jumbled but the words are instantly recognized if the first and last letters are correct.

Read once through the following sentence, and count the number of occurrences of the letter "F."

Finished files are the result of years of scientific research combined with the experience of years.

I was in a college class where the instructor presented this exercise. Out of about 30 students the majority got it wrong. Three or four students got it right, and English was the second language for all of them.

I've presented this exercise many times over the years, and young readers tend to get it right. The only time I can remember an adult whose first language was English get it right was when the reader was an experienced proofreader.

I'm not saying I understand how the brain processes reading of written words, but I know readers don't usually read through the letters in sequence to figure out what word is spelled out. It's more like a quick scan than an analysis of the letters. If it doesn't seem like you're reading linearly, but you're still comprehending what is written, it's probably just your brain scanning in a manner that's noticeable to you.

Suzuzu likes this.
  8. ABeaujolais

ABeaujolais Member

By the way,...

9. ABeaujolais

ABeaujolais Member

The answer is 6.

10. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

sometimes i'll jump ahead.
    like most recently, this book was taking too long to get to the "good" parts. so i jump ahead and read that, and then went back to my spot in the beginning :D
    now I know what to look forward to

Suzuzu likes this.
  11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

One word after the other for me. If it loses my interest, down it goes. Lately that's been about 3 out of every 4 books.

Earp likes this.
  12. FFBurwick

FFBurwick Member

I guess I might read that way at some times, though if I do it must be so rare I do not notice it. I like having a sequential approach. I read wanting to understand what I read sequentially, this is how it works with how I write, I plan for a few things much further ahead, but almost everything is unfolding and coming into my view as I write, seeing the story.

13. AlyceOfLegend

AlyceOfLegend Senior Member Contest Winner 2022

Currently Reading::
    Fanfiction- Stranger Things, Supernatural
    Sometimes I will read a story backwards. Meaning I start with the last chapter, read it then go to the chapter before, etc. Until I reach the beginning.

It actually helps me write.

Suzuzu likes this.
  14. JoanneLawrence

JoanneLawrence Banned

Usually, I read linearly, but somethimes my mind just switches off, and in some time I understand that I have no idea what I just read.
    Or if things are getting intense, and I'm very curious to find out what will happen, I just jump from sentence to sentence until my eyes will find "that" part I was looking for

Suzuzu likes this.