Do you repeat names ?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by ZYX, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Haha if you found the thread about heartbreak on the forum, you can read my story with that very same ex. Oh yes I'm glad that's over too! :D

It's interesting re your name because then it sounds like your birth name (true/real name?) might actually be even more personal to you than your current name, since you say it's a secret reserved for someone close. But then it also sounds like you don't feel comfortable being called by that name anymore and only someone who didn't know you would (eg. someone official who sees your documents).

Is Zyxlia on your passport? eg have you officially changed your name? I pronounce Zyxlia in my head as "Zee-lia" - and only now I realise I've completely missed the X in your name lol.

Secret identity sounds like fun :D Do you get people guessing your other name?

2. ZYX

ZYX Member

Zyxlia isn't on anything official, my passport has my birth name. I usually just put my surname on homework and stuff since there hasn't been another Pasternak yet and people who need to read the birth name on rosters don't get confused.
    I originally pronounced it Zik-slee-ah but I got a few people saying Zike-slee-ah early on and I use that too now ( which is even more complicated, of course ). I get some really simplified versions because ZYX isn't a set of letters anyone should have to pronounce. ( Sorry ! )
    I usually get some early on, the only person who ever got it had seen it on my licence. Most people don't even get close. G:

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Now I'm curious - what do teachers call you? What about classmates?

Zike-slee-ah, I see. well, I shall bear it in mind :D I didn't even realise it was a made-up name anyway as you can get the oddest names from around the world after all!

4. ZYX

ZYX Member

I usually just tell teachers before class starts that I go by Zyxlia and they'll use that or Pasternak. Classmates usually use Zyxlia.
    I was going to use Xylia because it's a real name but I decided it was my fake name anyway so I could make it a little weird.

Mckk likes this.
  5. Rennie1989

Rennie1989 New Member

I avoid repeating names of characters who played a large part in previous works. Otherwise, if they were a 'one scene only' character I would not hesitate to use their name again. If I'm honest, they are often generic names that I would not use for main characters,