Tags:
?

Do you think this memoir idea would be worth reading?

1. Yes, absolutely!

90.9%
  2. Possibly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, not interesting enough.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Results Only

9.1%
  1. LMRSahara

LMRSahara New Member

Do you think anyone would find my memoir interesting?

Discussion in 'Research' started by LMRSahara, Nov 24, 2022.

Ill try to make this as short as I can;

9 Months ago I broke my neck in a bodysurfing accident. I instantly got paralyzed from the neck down, and spent a long minute underwater getting ready to say my final goodbyes, had my whole life flash before my eyes, the whole spiel. I got pulled out of the water last second and was on my way to the hospital in an ambulance.

Originally they told me I would never walk again, and would have to use a power wheelchair with straws to blow through in order to move around (as nothing else below my neck worked at the time). Over time, with an insane amount of luck and a lot of hard work I slowly got movement.

I saw a picture of Mount Hood in the hospital and told my nurse I was going to climb it, they laughed at first. Over the coming weeks and months I moved from a wheelchair, to a walker, to forearm crutches, to one forearm crutch, to a limp, and I'm now at the point where no one can tell I got paralyzed. Currently learning how to run again.

I intend on climbing Mount Hood next summer, no Quadriplegic has done it before, however another doctor told me with the way I'm recovering it should be possible.

If I actually summit Mt. Hood, I'm thinking about writing a memoir about this whole experience; starting with my adventurous, dangerous thrill seeking lifestyle before my injury, the innocence of Spring Break before and during my accident, losing it all and eventually overcoming it to climb a mountain.

However I only intend on writing about it if anyone else will find it of benefit or if a publisher might think the idea is worthwhile.

Any two cents is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Do you think anyone would find my memoir interesting?

Hell yes!!

3. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    The Rose Demon by Steve Berry
    ABSOLUTELY! please let me know if you need a reading of your 1st draft, helping with editing or published.

4. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

Definitely write that!
    I go through the Mt. Hood area fairly often. A good base camp for your trip would be Government Camp, it is primarily a ski resort near the base of the mountain. One thing that might be an issue, is Mt. Hood has a permanent glacier, which could be an issue.
    If you need more detailed information on the area, let me know.

5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Go for it, both Mt. Hood and the memoir, and good luck to you.

6. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Definitely the type of thing I would love to read!

7. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

There is so much over the top bullshit fiction out there that any story that tells a real story, is a gem. The ups, the downs the failures or success is always welcome reading. Having lived through numerous close calls with death, I can only share that it is a blessing to realize each day counts, what you say and what you do really do matter. That is a gift, no matter what the outcome of your adventure is; the lessons you have learned in the journey are what makes it all worth while. Having been badly injured in the past, I will call bullshit on your "insane amount of luck" and give credit to your hard work and determination. A good story is not about luck!

petra4, LMRSahara and Xoic like this.
  8. w. bogart

Don't discount luck completely. Finding the right physical therapist willing to go the extra mile to help you recover to the point reaching your goal is possible, is luck. So is finding the people that support and encourage you along the way.

Xoic likes this.
  9. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

Having actually been there, done that. The balance of determination and hard work far out weighted the other aspects. No generalities are always true or false, but in the end it always, been a path that is traveled by one. They might all cheer you on as you hike up a steep mountain, you still have to make each step yourself. My experience anyway.

petra4, Xoic, Catriona Grace and 2 others like this.
  10. LMRSahara

LMRSahara New Member

There is a good chance in about 8 months from now I will hit you up on this. Thank you.

petra4 likes this.
  11. Donnyy

Donnyy New Member

It should be an amazing story about how you did not give up and continued to improve your life thanks to your dream. Everyone will be delighted - you, your family, your doctors and people who knew and will recognize you. You can put your own meaning into your presentation, but it must be published! Good luck!

LMRSahara likes this.
  12. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

I have no idea how much writing experience you have, but would suggest that y0u take some of the members here for their offers of some help with your writing project. Help with an outline, and your first chapter, with someone to proof read what you have and make suggestions on the framework will make this a lot more enjoyable and less frustrating. You are taking on an important task and there are a lot of really skilled writers on this site that I am sure would willingly give you support and help along the way. If you wait until you're finished the task of editing may seem overwhelming.

I would suggest you spend some time reading the stories on this site and find a writer who writes in the same style of voice that you want your piece to be written in and then write a gushing pm praising their work and then solicit their help. There are a ton of talented and generous members here.

13. megansophie

megansophie New Member

I would 100% read this! Congratulations on your fantastic recovery. I think that people need stories of overcoming adversity more than ever right now. I'd say definitely take a look at some similar books - if you can find any that are close enough to your story! - so you can get some inspiration about how you'd like to present yours!

14. LMRSahara

LMRSahara New Member

Thanks for the advice, I've never written a book before and am currently wrapping up the Part 1/First 3 chapters. Who should I reach out to for some proof reading and how much do people normally charge? I'm glad I've found this community, everyone seems really knowledgeable and helpful.

petra4 and ps102 like this.
  15. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2023

You can try the workshop. It's free to use and people will provide you feedback... but you have to write two reviews of someone else's work yourself. That helps you become a better writer though, so no problem.

There is also the collaboration forum where people seek beta/alpha readers, your project has already gained a lot of attention so you'll probably have a good chance to find someone willing to do that for you.

I suggest you use the workshop first though to build up some experience and writing ability, that's to ease the workload on your beta-readers and encourage them to keep reading the whole thing. If you throw them something half-baked, it might discourage them, even if there is huge potential.

But if you have some writing ability before-hand and avoid making "common mistakes", then things will have a better chance of going more smoothly.

So, yes, use the workshop first... see how it goes. Writing projects take a long time to do well so take your time too, you'll do fine, you overcame this situation... you can overcome this too.

petra4 and Louanne Learning like this.
  16. w. bogart

The rules for the workshop are Here.
    https://www.writingforums.org/workshop/

I know a good professional editing team if you choose to go that route, send me a pm.

petra4 and ps102 like this.
  17. LMRSahara

LMRSahara New Member

You guys are awesome. Ill learn what I can and try to smoothen things out over the next week and then start reaching out to people. Thank you.

ps102 likes this.
  18. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

A good starting point would be working on your short stories skills. If you look at a book as each chapter being a short story that is intertwined with a main story, it helps you understand the concept of telling a long and intricate story making up a book.

Go to the short story section of this site, you will find many different styles of writing. Find which ones that work for you and how they are told. Some styles will work for you others won't. I bet have 15 to 20 stories posted on this site as to many of the other members who are more prolific than I. I have never not had help here when it comes to fine tuning a story and getting suggestions for help. The key always being that you read their work and commented on it and offered some input.

The key to stunting the growth of any writer is to ignore them. The key to someone flourishing is being read and encouraged.

Your first story should be about something you're passionate about. I see you have a mountain bike your profile picture, how about a story of a day on the trails. As a fellow cyclist how can that not be worth reading?

LMRSahara likes this.
  19. LMRSahara

LMRSahara New Member

beat you to it :) the prologue opens with my friends and I riding off of jumps in the desert at the old red bull rampage site. My motivation to ride bikes again was a huge motivator to walk again when I was still in a wheelchair.

20. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Dude your memoir is going to get picked up by netflix.

21. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    The Rose Demon by Steve Berry
    No problems. I'll look forward to it :)

22. hmnut

hmnut Member

I agree. Sounds like an awesome movie I can't wait to read, watch, stream it.

Oh and totally unrelated @LMRSahara guywhogivesmethemovierightstohislifestorysayswhat

LMRSahara likes this.
  23. LMRSahara

LMRSahara New Member

Hey guys! Here's the first 7,300 words. I went ahead and did some digging in the workshop and gave some feedback to others. Being my first time writing a book I expect it to be pretty choppy. Any feedback would be appreciated. You guys are awesome! If it wasn't for your guys' encouraging words I probably wouldn't have started this. Thank you.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/the-invisible-cast-paralyzed-from-the-neck-down-to-climbing-mt-hood.173847/

@hmnut @petra4 @RMBROWN @megansophie @Louanne Learning