1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

UnAskedFor Critiques

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by BayView, Feb 14, 2016.

Something I've noticed on these boards that bugs me a little - I'm not sure if it's a community standard that was established before I arrived, or if it's just something that we've slid into that could be changed...

But it's my understanding of writers' etiquette that critiques are only welcome and polite when they've been requested. And the request should be fairly clear - "Let me know what you think" or something similar. Posting an "I'm so proud of..." link is not, in my mind, a request for a critique, and it really makes me squirm to see people jumping in with suggestions for improvement.

I've had a couple people on this site ask for a link to my books and then come back with a critique (one based on the "Look Inside" feature, even, so I didn't even get the money from a sale!). The content of the critique hasn't bothered me, but the breach of etiquette, as I understand it, does.

So - am I wrong that critiques should only be given when asked for? Or are others wrong with their critique-giving? (SOMEONE must be wrong, here!)

2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Was it a passive verb issue/definite article preference, and a/or she said, he said?

Probably these people were idiots, readers rather than writers, simple types on laptops possibly. I just don't know the answer. All crit really - is totally offensive, do these people not realise who they are, and who WE are?

@Fanclub, Mat

3. BayView

Laptops?!? No, not laptops, surely! They wouldn't sink so low...

4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Everyone's going to be paranoid now until you tell us which threads you're talking about. :) I can't think of any where someone has shared an "I'm so proud" link and others have critiqued it, so without really understanding the thread's context I'd say:

Critiquing someone's off-site work when they haven't asked for it... not on.

Critiquing in a thread where the OP is clearly proud and excited and just wants to share... not on.

Critiquing when the OP shared their work and didn't give any context... meh. I don't think it's rude or impolite to assume, on a writer's site, people are happy for critiques.

5. BayView

Okay, yeah, those are about the same places I'd draw the lines.

The thread that triggered this post was one about a book trailer, but I've seen it elsewhere as well - someone will post about a marketing idea or something, and all of a sudden there will be comments about the other person's work itself, which was never posted in the thread.

6. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Ah, just seen the thread you mean and I agree with you. It's a little uncomfortable to read.

It's quite easy to jump into "critique mode" with every thread. This has prompted me to be more careful about that. I'm glad you posted :)

BayView likes this.
  7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I found the quote:

I read teen romance introduction and tell you what does this so-called woman know about hockey, or horses, horses and hockey and the horses do not wear skates, that is ridiculous and is polo not water polo with horses, the ancient sport of kings are horses in the pool as if you go swimming with a horse on your back, what kind of scoring system would it be, maybe little horses, I don't know but as if she ever coached an under-eighteen horse or horse hockey squad, it's called a puck in every country goddammit you loser and I wont be buying the full set

Tenderiser and BrianIff like this.
  8. BayView

Why do you insist on bringing up painful memories?!?

Excuse me, now, there's... there's something in my eye! Or maybe I'm cutting onions... I have to go!

matwoolf likes this.