Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madam Puddifoot

Madam Puddifoot New Member

Do you think my character is a Mary-Sue?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Madam Puddifoot, Jun 4, 2012.

Her name is Cassie Speckle. She's not the most beautiful girl in the whole universe but she isn't so ugly that she made Chucky cry. She's just average and plain. At 13 she's never had a boyfriend and is very self-conscious of her appearance and weight. Speaking of weight, she's normal. She likes knowledge and finding out new things but she isn't a genius. The only subject she excels at is Triple Science (Biology, Physics, Chemistry) because she wants to be a Scientist but all the other subjects she's average at. A counsellor once told her she had a 'Dictionary in her brain' She's mature but can have a witty and sharp sense of humour when she feels it's right. She loves to explore and travel and like I said, find out new things. She can get too stubborn, obsessive, paranoid and jealous at times (She's jealous of her cousin throughout the story) and her feelings get hurt too easily (When her crush rejects her she didn't speak to him for a while even though he was her best guy friend). She's very passionate about everything she believes in and can forgive easily. She believes in second chances. She wants to be friends with everyone but is an introvert, unlike her twin brother Sid. That's only brief. There are a lot of other things that I haven't mentioned. I have done so many character questionnaires about her that I think I know her pretty well now. She can do magic but she lives in a world where it's bad and she isn't amazing at it anyway. No, she doesn't turn out to be the Chosen One. Her cousin turns out to be, increasing her jealousy levels.

By the way, a Mary-Sue is a perfect character. Just google it for a better explanation.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No, a Mary Sue is NOT a perfect character. The term is used, and misused, for any kind of character the person throwing the label around wants it to mean. Ignore it.

I'm closing this thread; there are more than enough Mary Sue threads around at present. The term has too many "meanings", so it means nothing at all.

Whether the character is good is entirely a matter of how well it is written in a story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.