Do you usually write about the same gender?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AmyWriter, Aug 20, 2015.

?

1. Yes.

23.7%
  2. No.

23.7%
  3. I have an even amount of both, usually.

52.5%
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

That's how I do it. If the MC's a lady, then the MC's a lady. If the MC's a dude, then it's a dude.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

No.

3. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

My main characters are always the same sex as me. Supporting characters are both, but I like to think in terms of personality types rather than sex.

4. Blag

Blag New Member

I can only write in a male POV or male third person for I am male. My stories generally have no females at all and if they do, they're basically high agility low strength characters, idk why but I've always regarded females with higher agility, and males with higher strength. I haven't had a single female acquaintance, so I cannot develop a proper female POV.

5. Inks

Inks Senior Member

I have 6 female characters and 4 male characters in my first story. So no.

6. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I know I certainly do that. I refer to my characters as my "imaginary friends" and I'm only half joking. Most of them are people who would interest me as friends, and while I've had many good male friends, I have generally gotten along better with women. More specifically, I tend to find women more interesting than men in the intellectual sense, which makes them more compelling people to hang out with - and makes me more curious about how they operate. Hence, the characters in my writing do skew heavily female.

I think another part of it is that I don't find the male mind particularly interesting - probably because I already have one and understand how it works (and have male friends that divulge how theirs works in some detail that obviously most women would never tell me), so I have very little curiosity about it. That, and from an art standpoint, society gives women a lot more options in terms of dress, accessories, makeup, hair, use of color, etc. I've noticed that I do start a lot of my descriptions with clothes, hair, etc - lot's of my characters express themselves outwardly to reflect their inner reality. You can do this within the strictures of how we expect men to dress (I do it in my personal life by purposefully wearing suits/ties in colors and styles that differ from my co-workers) but it's a lot easier and a lot more common for women. So in that sense female characters are a lot more easy for me to "customize" and make interesting in terms of "painting" them for the reader.

7. Burnistine

Burnistine Active Member

The main character in my second book is a male. Gender is the least of my worries. I'll switch if the story calls for it. But I'm comfortable with writing for both.

8. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Senior Member

I am more or less comfortable with both genders, though depending on the kind of story, I lean more toward one or the other. Like any romance stories, I'll write male MCs. For any other, female MCs. I don't know WHY that would be.
    Maybe a sort of "genre" revenge? It works well enough as a system for me.

9. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

That's really interesting. The vast majority of romances are written from a female's POV, probably because the majority (but not as much of a majority as most people think!) of romance readers are female.

10. PhillyWriter

PhillyWriter New Member

I can't write a female main character, especially not in the first-person. I think I do this because of my sensibilities towards feminism in general. Women have lives a lot different than what I lead, and my wife lets me know this regularly. I can write about her but I can't write as her.

That said, there are certainly a lot of great things over the years written by men who have female MCs. I think my favorite is Daniel Clowes' graphic novel Ghost World. That was spectacular.

Tenderiser likes this.
  11. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

I'd say no, since almost all of my novels have a female character as the POV. However, most of my short stories have male POV characters...but my short stories are usually just experiments, idea farms, throwaways, etc, so I don't know how much they count.

I think for me it comes from a lack of good female main characters in my reading and my desire to create the leading ladies I feel are missing from the mainstream. Though I think that @Mckk, @jannert, and @Commandante Lemming are all onto something as well--if I'm going to spend 80-100k words with the same person, I'd rather it be with a cool female character I'd be into in the real world than with some dude. It makes a certain amount of sense.

12. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

After a rough calculation based on the most prominent characters in my current writing projects I seem to have a 2 male to 1 female character ratio. I'm male. I was expecting a more even distribution, but I'm not really bothered, as I'm confident I have no particular habit of making every protagonist/antagonist/sidekick/ romantic interest /mentor/boss/friend male or female. A large number of my most prominent, powerful and likable characters are female. And I have no problem with writing a story that has essentially exclusively either male or female characters if the story calls for that. 'Twas a fun topic to think about, though.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  13. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

I'm a guy but the majority of my main characters are female.
    I just like women, what can I say?

14. PapaGhanda

PapaGhanda Member

My WIP is 5 character's POVs. 3 Female, 2 Male. I am male. The balance is still there, but it is always a challenge to find it.

15. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I write a pretty even balance, stemming from my starting point of writing horror scripts where a diverse range of characters is a benefit. From that I've just gone with the flow. My characters are mostly accidents. Personally I've got plenty of 'female' sensibilities and my female friends have often asked if I grew up with sisters, which I didn't. I'm just someone out of the box, and that helps blurr the lines of experience in my characters. Many cross the boundaries and are more unisex, shown in my action scripts where they have changed genders a few times to suit the story and no one really noticed. Recently though I've fallen into a trap where most of the bad people are men and the good people women.

16. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Sexist.

17. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Yup.

I know that women are just as capable at being evil.

Bjørnar Munkerud likes this.
  18. Bjørnar Munkerud

It's only sexist if there's sexist intent. Coincidence is not sexist. It can definitely be unfortunate, but still.

19. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

The truth is that it's pretty weird to condemn someone for choosing to portray certain races or genders. People complain all the time that there aren't enough x, y or z characters. It's not really the creator's responsibility to tailor to certain audiences. An author writes what he wants to. So if you recognize an apparent shortcoming, you should remedy that by writing your own book about it. That's one of the biggest motivators for writing anyway. Write what you've always wanted to read.
    I lean a little to the side of my own gender, but I've had some pretty central characters of the opposite sex.

PiP likes this.
  20. Stephen Gazzard

Stephen Gazzard Member

I think my book skews towards women rather than men. I have 4 'real' POV characters (and the occasional ones that get a random scene here or there). Of the 4 main, 3 are women, one is a man. But I've had to cut down ... at one point, I had 19 POV characters (wish I was joking), with a bit more even split (I think about 8 were male) but I cut it down to those who were most essential to driving the plot.

21. Dragon Scribe

Dragon Scribe New Member

I enjoy writing from both male and female POVs, especially when they are observing the same situation. I may not keep both, but it helps me dissect the story and see why all my characters are doing what they do. I'm fairly certain I'm just observing and recording, they truly run the show...

22. Sack-a-Doo!

Ever heard of the band, Boston? The rumour mill at the time said that they studied all the popular songs of the previous five years and put all the "good stuff" into their songs and filled an album. It's roughly equivalent to today's authors/screenwriters/songwriters/what-have-you religiously toeing the PC line.

Boston's first album was a huge hit. When they repeated the same formula for their second, it flopped like a fish in a frying pan.

23. Bjørnar Munkerud

You don't seem to have explained the relevance to this thread of what you're saying, which is about fiction and gender.

24. Sack-a-Doo!

Okay, I'll spell it out...

Creating any kind of art to someone else's rules or expectations isn't a good idea.

25. Doctore

Doctore Member

I've done a little of both over time, but as of late I have been trying to write a more believable and realistic female character. There is a saying about male authors and it is that they create a lot of vixen, super booby, sexy characters more than anything else when it comes to female leads. I don't know if this is true or not, but I can read in between the lines to see that many people don't feel that male authors put as much into their female character's inner workings as they do their appearance. I haven't done this so far (GO ME!) but it is sort of a challenge I gave myself to see if I can do the role justice.