Do you want the most possible readers?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Oxymaroon, Feb 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Oh there's little doubt he's a superb writer. I have his, The Subtle Knife on a shelf near where I write. But that does not make him an honest man, nor a great thinker.

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I think that was a more tactful way to express your belief—the other post seemed more an inflammatory invite (which I nearly fell for) to derail the thread.

3. Oxymaroon

Oxymaroon Contributor Contributor

There seems to be a huge wall of defensiveness in theists these days.
    Why in the world should an atheist, writing fiction , present any other belief or world-view than his own?
    Americans don't expect their patriotic writers to give equal time to the convictions of whatever nation they're making war on.
    Stories about the French Resistance don't have to defend the Germans' side.
    There is plenty of religious writing out there, including fiction, some of it even good fiction, and their authors are not expected to give unbelief a "fair shake".

SethLoki likes this.
  4. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

Well, if nothing else, this thread points out that even a well written novel is not for everybody. Audiences have overlaps, but they're not complete.

So: I'd say that Yes, I want the most possible readers among those who would be interested in what I write.

I know it sounds like a cheaty answer, but the idea is that any well-written novel will have a potential audience of millions, so my plan is to write the best I can - but then also make sure that people who would enjoy the output have a chance to learn about it. This is where marketing comes in - connecting the people who would love a book about X with a chance to buy and read a book about X.