1. Charles Neal

Charles Neal Banned

Do you write in multiple genres or just one?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Charles Neal, Oct 21, 2021.

I try to do a variety and have written slice of life, romance, magical realism, fantasy, science fiction, comedy and drama. And a combo of all the above.

2. Idiosyncratic

Idiosyncratic Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Six of Crows
    Pretty much everything I write is some flavor of fantasy; I write in many different subgenres and smash fantasy together with other genres (My current project is a dark fantasy with a central murder mystery, a major romance subplot, and many gothic horror elements), but you'll be hard-pressed to find me writing something without a hint of the fantastic. The freedom and fun of fantasy has always been what most gets the muse flowing, and I'm happy to write along with it.

AntPoems likes this.
  3. Luis Thompson

Luis Thompson Banned

I write in one genre most often. These are stories that are filled with a stream of consciousness with elements of philosophy.

4. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Gothic horror is my primary genre. I'm delving into some experimental sci-fi, however. :)

Shayne, Gladiolus83 and Cave Troll like this.
  5. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Just one, although I do work in several sub-genres within the main one. It's what I want to read so it's what I want to write.

6. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

the bulk of my work is SF/F (and the various sub-genres of it).... though I have a few outliers that go into contemporary fiction.

I read a lot of everything NOW, but I started out reading mainly SF/F growing up.

Madman, Shayne and Gladiolus83 like this.
  7. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I haven't written science fiction, but I've hit about everything else at some point in the last half century or so. My favorite genres are literary and YA fantasy. Don't think I've tried gothic romance, now that I think of it. Maybe once I'm done with the current novel (literary) I'll try a "Gothic novel in a month" just for the heck of it. Heaven knows I read enough gothic novels in my ill-spent youth to know what's expected.

8. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I have only ever written romance, though a couple of my stories have reached into sub-genres like Romantic Suspense and Magical Realism

9. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

Multiple. My favorite is fantasy, mostly because it has no limit with what you can do with it, followed by Sci-fi for the same reasons. However, I also write political essays, technical manuals, book reviews and historical pieces on battlefields and weapons.

10. Gladiolus83

Gladiolus83 Contributor Contributor

Fantasy and Science Fiction are basically my only genres with novels being my go-to format. I have tried others but those stories never turned out well, in my own opinion anyway. The anime community would also say that I write in the BL genre, which is the very niched genre of gay romance.

Shayne likes this.
  11. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Multiple and general fiction. Right now my WIP is more general fiction. My short stories can be mild horror, sci-fi, fantasy or dystopian but I'm not very good at upholding standards of genre. I think because a lot of what I read is not up to date. And I can fixate on fiction that doesn't really adhere to genre.

12. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    A little bit of general, Urban Fantasy, Sci-fi, Comedy, Erotica, and Horror.
    And at times smash them altogether into some twisted mess that looks like
    a story. :p

Madman likes this.
  13. Terbus

Terbus Active Member

To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini
    Yes, historical fiction and high fantasy. My work does not always conform to the genre standards, and will probably be controversial one day. I tend to be very realistic when writing, so I don't sugar coat the types of trauma my character undergo and my historical characters act like people from their time period. I write what I would enjoy reading, overall.

14. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    Started out trying to write science fiction since it was my favorite genre when I was younger. Turns out I just cannot write in that genre without it sounding derivative, so I stick to general fiction and non-fiction. The latter ranges from politics to technology. One novel I work on from time to time is historical that spans the protagonist's lifetime. It's a life that is formed by, among other things, the Holocaust.

15. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I try to write in every and any genre. Most often I actually don't consider the genre at all when writing. Sure, that doesn't line up with traditional publishing breakdowns, but I'd rather not pidgeonhole a story or poem of which I want to write. I sort of let the story and its narrative direction as I write it dictate the genre that it ends up as.

I do, however, tend to lean on more literary fiction or science fiction. Sometimes a good old fantasy is in order just for some good fun, but not often. I reserve most fantasy writing for group work in writing projects. Romance I've only dabbled in slightly, though I'd probably like to more. Horror is good fun, though I often pair it with science fiction.

I just like writing I think. Each genre is a bit of a challenge in its own ways. Writing is simply a hobby for me. Would I like to get better and published by an important company? Of course. But I'm not hurt if I don't. So I write what I want to write and don't look back.

Madman likes this.
  16. Justin Fraser

Justin Fraser New Member

Pulp, fantasy, science fiction, horror, and I try to include comedy in all of my stories.

17. Travalgar

Travalgar Active Member

I write Science Fictions and Fantasies since both of them are practically sisters. Years of exposure to SCP Foundation also shoved me towards Horror as well (only that specific kind of horror associated with that medium, though. What was it? Implied horror? Cosmic horror?).

I guess I'm a Speculative Fiction man.

18. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Well, let's see. The majority of what I write is Fantasy (emphasising Grimdark, Low Fantasy, and Comedic Fantasy) while most of the rest is Science Fiction (Soft SF, since I'm not particularly knowledgeable, leaning towards Cyberpunk, Dystopias, Post-Apocalyptic, and vaguely Space Opera-type stuff). Actually, a lot of what I do is Science Fantasy. I love blending these two genres.

I occasionally try my hand at General Fiction, Horror, and even Romance. Again, I love genre fusions, and I don't respect their boundaries, definitions, or inherent expectations very much, insofar as I even understand them. I just write what comes to me, and that is mostly fantastical stuff.

Travalgar likes this.
  19. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    Non-Fiction, General fiction, humor. Non-fiction currently on environmental topics. (Anthropomorphic Climate Change is real.)

20. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

I write Fantasy, but I need the word for my sub-genre.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  21. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I write science fiction, fantasy. Renaissance inspired battleships and cities with palaces and gardens. People dressing in a variety of coloured clothes, just as varied as their skin colours. Different aliens and humans. Giants and people. Dragons and gods. Spacewalks without spacesuits, shielded from space by energy fields. Etc.